I can not lose weight to save my life!!!

Options
BlaxkOrchid
BlaxkOrchid Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Hi guys,
I was told summer of 2014 and put on birth control. The birth control helps and I have not gained weight but I been stuck at my weight for the longest. So today my husband is going to the market before work to buy me fresh veggies and fish to cook. Im also going to trying working out more. I have a hard time staying on my diet because Im always on the go or tired. I really have to stick this time because I do not feel good. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    I feel the same way. My weight fluctuates the same 6lbs up and down, but I never experience true weight loss for a significant period. It doesn't help that I work and am in law school which makes squeezing gym time in difficult. I am currently on norethindrone and 1000mg Metformin. At this point I just want to live better and hopefully make some lifestyle changes that will help me to drop the weight.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well first of all know you aren't alone; and progress is possible, but you will have to work harder for it. Everyone is individual, but a lot of women with PCOS have better luck by limiting their carbohydrate and sugar intake; you might find that after an initial adjustment that helps with your energy levels as well. You could also talk to your doctor about medications like metformin if you have insulin resistance (which many women with PCOS have) - that helps some women lose weight.

Good luck!
  • Bodom0605
    Options
    Hello MissLivaLittle, I also have PCOS and I was having a very hard time losing weight along with other things. My Dr. ran all kinds of tests on me and we both decided to place me on Metformin ER once I was unable to lose weight for 4 months on my own. He gave me 500mg a day for two weeks, then up'd it 1000mg's a day for two more weeks and once i knew my body is ok with that I added 500 more mg's. Now I take 1500mg's a day until I hit my goal weight. The first 3 weeks I lost 11 lbs, thats the most I have lost in forever. I must say I have seen more progress on Metformin then on any birth control. I was on birth control pills and I had BAD mood swings - weight just stayed the same.... Then he placed my on the Birth control shot... mind you I was 250 lbs at that time and I gained 30lbs in 3 months on the shot... My PCOS is so off I was taking the birth control shot every 1.5 months instead of the 3 months that is recommended because I was having hot flashed like I was in menopause. Now that I am on the Metformin, i am noticing less mood swings, NO hot flashes, better cycles, no feeling sad, less sleepyness and WEIGHT LOSS.. It has really been a blessing. I recommend anyone to talk to their Dr. about Metformin ER 500Mg, you will see a difference within the 1st month. Also a lower card diet may work for you too, ask your dr about it, that is what mine told me. He said that carbs aid PCOS and make everything harder to fix :neutral_face:

Oh and I buy vitamins from Vitabase.com Called Active Woman's Multi Vitamins it has Black Cohosh in it that helps with PCOS.

I hope this helps your journey with PCOS. :wink:

Best of luck.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, with the exhaustion, make sure they thoroughly test your thyroid, too. This goes hand in hand. If your levels are in the low end of the acceptable range, but your trigylcerides are also high, you probably have thyroid problems. Within a few months of getting on a working thyroid medicine, even though my levels said my problem was minor, I had to add a supplement, but my triglyerides dropped over half. Like from 250+ to less than 120... And I didnt' really change my eating or anything else... I got bloodwork results positively from the medicine but didnt' get symptom relief until I added the supplement.

So many things are all related. I ask you to try to make time for yourself to eat healthier, even when you are tired, because as you do better with your food and get healthier, some of that tired feeling will go away. So buy giving in to you, you are allowing it to stay with you... If you want to beat it, you'll have to fight it a bit.

Good luck. Lots and lots of other good information here on other posts.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the way to go. I lost 50lbs pretty quickly here by cutting out MT dew (lots of calories there), bread and pasta. If I had it, I had whole grain pasta or bread. Cut back calories and limit carbs. It IS possible, you just have to commit to it! After I met my husband, I started eating terribly, and gained it all back so I am trying again.