On Point During the Week but Fall to Pieces on the Weekend

Hi!

I've been on MFP for about 2 years now and have lost about 43 pounds, some of that lost and regained to bad choices on my part.

I workout right after work three days a week (M,W,F) and before work (T, TH). During the week, I'm 100% on my game and on the weekends, it falls apart. I still do some exercise although not at the gym but find that the eating becomes an issue.

My boyfriend likes to have "good" food on the weekends and expects me to participate in every meal. I've significantly reduced the portion of what I eat and try to make healthier choices when we go out but he wants me to eat the junk food too. I know a cheat meal is, in essence, good for you every now and then but I want to actually keep it at once in a while instead of every meal Friday dinner through Sunday night.

I'm slowly showing him that eating healthy can still be good but I want to see progress at a steady rate instead of a couple pounds in a few months which is what has been happening for me.

Any tips? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    First, your boyfriend should not be the deciding factor in what you eat, period. Either he is a controlling jerk, or you are using him as a convenient excuse to overindulge. Nip whichever it is in the bud ASAP. ;)

Second, if you want to eat more on the weekends you can always shave a few calories Monday-Friday and save them up for Sat-Sun. I do that when I know I have a restaurant night or other high calorie event coming up.
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I'm trolling a little...I am starting an elimination challenge Friday - will run for 11 weeks. I've been on MFP for about 5 years and been running challenges for at least 3 of them. I have about 32 participants and looking for 10 more. But don't want to post to get an overwhelming amount of people.
    - I have your EXACT Same Problem...though even with your problem you should still be VERY Proud of the weight you have lost!! Anyway...I often address my own issues in my challenges and for the 1st time I'm adding something in it because the weekends seem to be tough for Many. You Are Not Alone!! When I posed the question...most all my friends that responded have the same problem. It's Much easier to structure your weeks around work...the weekends are Tough because they rarely have structure but rather "fun"!! and even tougher if you have an outside person pushing to go out. But good for you for making better choices and trying to get him to eat better himself!! Anyway, if you have any interest in doing a challenge please feel free to message me...its fitness and food and teams and competitive and I have a GREAT base of Very Supportive wonderful people that continue to participate in them!
    - Either Way!! Good Luck to you!! Keep working on that boyfriend....one piece of advice...is if you are gonna eat the junk on the weekends and/or go out...plan an active date along with it so you are at least getting extra exercise in while bonding Not Just over Food!!
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mopar88, I have the exact same issue.

While we all know that others can't "make" us eat poorly, I totally understand the added challenge of having a partner who isn't in the same place with his eating. My husband waffles between wanting to eat better and well...not so much. It's great when he's on board, but when he's not it can be tougher.

Yes, we all have the ability to say no when our partners suggest or prepare unhealthy foods. But it is, truly, another challenge that we need to overcome. It's willpower, plain and simple. And if we were perfect at that, we likely wouldn't be here. So I get it.

I try to pre-empt hubby's temptation by planning weekend meals ahead of time. If we arrive home on Friday night and I haven't taken anything out of the freezer or planned something, chances are good we'll be ordering in - and there aren't too many healthy options for us there.

If we do decide to order in, I try to at least eat a big salad before the food arrives so that I'm not so starving that I wolf down all kinds of junk.

I don't have it all figured out, by any means, but those are a couple of the strategies I use. Maybe they'll help.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    pplastics wrote: »
    First, your boyfriend should not be the deciding factor in what you eat, period. Either he is a controlling jerk, or you are using him as a convenient excuse to overindulge. Nip whichever it is in the bud ASAP. ;)

Second, if you want to eat more on the weekends you can always shave a few calories Monday-Friday and save them up for Sat-Sun. I do that when I know I have a restaurant night or other high calorie event coming up.

+1
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I do huge cardio workouts on weekend mornings (60-90 minutes) because I have more time, and also to bank extra calories for social eating and drinking.
  • HappyEC
    HappyEC Posts: 53 Member
    I was the same and sometimes still am! I'd suggest tapering down to one cheat meal a day on the weekends, then less, till you're at one cheat meal all weekend. Hopefully going from all out cheat weekend to cheat meal a day and downwards will let you make an effort to stay on track all day bar that one meal, then 2 days bar one meal, etc. :)