Help! I'm under eating! Not intentionally!

Hello! I am currently trying to be healthy and shed some of this extra weight I've packed on (to the tune of about 50 lbs) I am logging my foods consistently, and trying to behave, and myfitnesspal keeps scolding me because I am consistently around 800 under my goal (sometimes more, sometimes less... And scolding me rightfully so)
I work a high stress job that often makes it impossible to eat right- I barely am able to take a break, let alone sit down and eat a good lunch (I'm a nurse). I know I need to eat more- I'm looking for good snack suggestions/ recipes/ etc that are quick, filling, and not junk food for a sugar spike (bad bad habit) . I know the importance of frequent snacks/ meals but unless I change careers, it is what it is... I'm open to any and all suggestions, esp from those who have had similar struggles! I want to get it right! Thanks!!!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Add some higher calorie foods to what you are eating. Avocado, nuts, oils, peanut butter, etc. you don't have to eat a lot in bulk, just add some calorie dense foods to what you are eating.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    You don't have to frequently snack/eat meals - that's a personal preference.

As @mccindy72 said, just add avocado, nuts, oils. If you're eating no-fat/low-fat diary, stop and eat the full fat versions. Fage 2% greek yogurt is amazeballs and blows any Chobani out of the water.
  • MER1982
    MER1982 Posts: 10
    I agree with the above. Full fat cheese, nuts, cook with healthy oils, etc. I love adding pb onto apples and bananas for some quick protein. Good luck!

What about something like a smoothie in the morning? You could incorporate lots of different stuff in those.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Cheeses are good, high protein, not bad on fat content and taste good. I agree with mccindy72 on the peanut butter, nuts and other good sources of fat. If you like canned fishes and chicken, they are also easy and good for you.
    Maybe make a bunch of small meals/snacks and bag them for easy usage. Some of these can be made ahead of time, even days.

Peanut butter and a sliced apple
    Tuna with a little mayo, lettuce, on a whole wheat pita
    Nuts and dried fruit
    Canned chicken with broccoli and cheese (heat until cheese is melted)
    Cottage cheese with fruit
    Cheese stick with sliced tomatoes
    Deli meats, turkey, ham, with a hard boiled egg and fresh veggies
    Egg salad, 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, mayo seasonings, with a slice of whole wheat bread
    Black beans, salsa, cheese on a whole wheat tortilla
    Greek yogurt
    Oatmeal
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Can you put a protein bar in your pocket? That's about 190 calories. Hiker's mix is good too. Protein shake in the evening www.premierprotein.com (I keep a spare in my carry bag for emergencies). When I was having a lot of trouble getting the calories in I would finish my evening with a glass of juice. My dietitian was horrified but I assured her I would stop as soon as it was no trouble getting enough calories. And I did.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    As @mccindy72 said, just add avocado, nuts, oils. If you're eating no-fat/low-fat diary, stop and eat the full fat versions. Fage 2% greek yogurt is amazeballs and blows any Chobani out of the water.

I agree, but 2% is not full fat ;)
    Full fat greek yogurt is 10% (it's a bit too heavy for me, I prefer the 2%)
  • mattreadfx
    mattreadfx Posts: 50 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Add some higher calorie foods to what you are eating. Avocado, nuts, oils, peanut butter, etc. you don't have to eat a lot in bulk, just add some calorie dense foods to what you are eating.

+1
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    603reader wrote: »

I agree, but 2% is not full fat ;)
    Full fat greek yogurt is 10% (it's a bit too heavy for me, I prefer the 2%)

True it is, but it's rare to find the full fat. I've found the 10% in Cabot Greek. I <3 Cabot but they should stick to cheese, not yogurt. Their cottage cheese is good.
    I also looked up where the OP is from and I know that her choices will be somewhat limited since it's a rural New England town unless she wants to drive well over an hour. Depending on what stores are near by, she might not even been able to get 2% Fage, or Fage at all.
  • I agree with what people have said. I find that a quick increase in calories can be PB protein bars, hummus w/veggies, or, if you can, bring a protein drink. The key is really planning ahead. Get the bulk of your calories in the morning and work down. That way you aren't coming up as short. Under eating can really mess with your metabolism, so do what you can to stay on track. I know it's hard sometimes, but I under ate for a long time and my metabolism is shot. I have to really work out to lose, even at 1200 calories. Good luck!
  • hurricaneemly
    hurricaneemly Posts: 23 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »

This. I used to be in a similar situation and wasn't able to eat regularly or properly. One thing that helped bolster my calorie load (and also my energy level) was having peanut butter (sometimes a lot of it) whenever I needed something to carry me over. Keep a tablespoon and jar in your locker and whenever you feel like you need something, enjoy a spoonful or two. It's about as quick as a snack gets, it will fill you, the protein will keep you going, and it certainly adds some of the fat and dense calories that you might be missing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Muscle Milk protein drink once or twice a day. 14 ounce drink = 230 calories x 2. Peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk. 2 slices whole wheat bread and 2 tbsp peanut butter = 327 calories, 8 ounces 2% milk = 122 cals. Lets see that puts us up to 909 calories. Now have a nice dinner, steak, mashed potatoes, gravy & veggie.

You need to talk to your union or the labor board or whatever about mandatory breaks at work. It is required by law. If you are not getting them then the employer can be fined.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Just an idea, get an empty jar and fill it with oats, whey, Greek yoghurt, peanut butter and fruit. When you get a free minute or two boil a kettle, pour it in, stir it and eat. Plenty of protein, carbs, fat and fibre in there and a decent amount of calories. Try 60%+ dark chocolate too. You could also add some butter/coconut oil/double cream/cocoa to coffee if you drink that. Also if you have a blender maybe blend some avocado, banana, milk, peanut butter, spinach, pepper and anything else you want to chuck in there.
  • Keep a few Kind Plus bars with you - they are made from all-natural whole nuts, fruits and whole grains (non-GMO, gluten free). I order them from Amazon for about $1 a bar. They have a pretty good website that lists the different kinds of bars and the ingredients.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I like the protein bar suggestion. Also if you need something small you can sneak in between patients nuts are a good high calorie/high healthy fat option. I like an ounce of almonds right after I exercise and it fits in a bag in my coat pocket.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    You can drink some whole milk. That'll add calories fast.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    I'm a nurse and have the same issue...can't get away to grab a snack or even eat lunch on days. I always have a couple of shaker bottles of protein powder in my bag. I can mix them up and drink them at the nurses station - which gives me about 35 grams of protein. I also have individual bags of 1 oz jerky and 1 cheese stick as a snack - easy to take a few min. to grab and eat when I'm rushed. I also always keep nuts in my bag. Good luck, I have always struggled with getting enough calories during my 12 hour shifts - which then carry over to the next day, when I'm feeling hungry the entire day and I have to be careful to not overeat.
  • angiekje
    angiekje Posts: 4 Member
    I have had the same issues last week + I noticed that my weight stagnated. What I did was: since I felt full, I started "drinking" more calories... in the form of cappuccino's, chococcino's, tai chai tea's from my dolce gusto device : ) problem solved for me... calorie-wise that is.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    If your not getting enough calories, eat a piece of chocolate. It's a "live it", not a "diet".
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Are you calculating your calories correctly... it always worries me that I am really intaking much more that what I assume I am. Good luck!
  • themintyone81
    themintyone81 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you everyone!!! It seems like more protein is the way to go..... @kmblank‌ isn't it awful that as nurses who help ensure people are taken care of/ making sure they are taking care of themselves that we struggle to properly take care of and fuel our own bodies! I'm going to invest in a giant tub of peanut butter lol!!! Thanks again! Keep the suggestions coming!!