Who eats back exercise calories and who doesn't?

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I eat them....I eat them all. I have zero issues with losing weight.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I train hard and eat back some of my exercise calories (taking into account overestimates).
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I eat back about 75% of them or so... unless i'm starving that day for whatever reason- then all of them get eaten
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    I eat back half of what I have earned.
  • paszekmonika
    paszekmonika Posts: 60 Member
    I don't eat my calories back. However when i have a days where I burn around 2000 calories I treat myself with an extra snack or even meal. Still healthy but without this I would probably starve:)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I usually eat back a portion of my exercise calories and it has worked for me. If I have a large deficit from very long run days, I might save the calories and use them later in the week. I use MFP to set my calorie goal.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    I eat them, but you have to be careful you don't use an overestimated value.

Examples of overestimated values:

- MFP database walking
    - MFP database pilates/stretching
    - MFP database squash
    - Strava run ( using these during marathon training was IMHO a factor in me actually gaining a couple of kg at that time )

As I lost more weight it became more clear that sticking to overestimated values and eating back the calories would slow me down, so I invested in a step tracker and HRM. I found the step calorie adjustments were lower, and IMO more realistic, and also that the Garmin run/workout with HRM calorie burn values were lower and again more realistic based on reading up on these things. Since switching to these I have done better.

Hope this is useful!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I eat them back, both when I lost weight and now at maintenance - that's typically c.4000 a week but can be over 6000 in the cycling season.
    There's no point setting a calorie balance goal and then not trying to meet it. It's not smart thinking to assume faster weight loss is better.

Exercise is for fitness, strength, preservation of lean mass plus it allows you much more freedom to eat while still hitting your goal.
  • NewGuy64
    NewGuy64 Posts: 5 Member
    I like the idea of eating half, a little reward is good!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I lost over 120 lbs eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well

^I lost 160+ NOT eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well for me. I have been maintaining for 14 months.

We all ARE snowflakes! Do what works for you in all facets of this new way of living. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,989 Member
    I have never eatenback exercise cals and lot 115 lbs so I guess do what works for you

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    damiandw wrote: »

It's not a reward it's fuel for your body. Eating half works if you think you are overestimating your burns.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I eat back about 50-60%.

I have my calorie goal set to sedentary, which is what I am when not actually working out, and to lose 1 lb a week. By doing that and eating back about half of my calories I am able to make adjustments for rest days and workout days without overeating or undereating on any of them. My average loss over the last year has been 1.4 lb which is perfect for what I am trying to do. I am afraid of losing too fast so I want more control and some wiggle room.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    It is down to this: Using difference method than MFP and customizing your plan - do not eat them back or at least all of them.

If using MFP - eat them back or at least some of them.

It is all personal preference and either way it looks like you have a choice.
    Burning 300 more than I eat does not harm my energy output either way.

After 3 months of doing this I am better suited not eating them. But I am using a different method and I use an activity tracker.

I am OCD and cannot see the logic that I sweated my butt off, almost had a heat attack and now its time to eat them back plus my daily allowance.... .
    -
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    when i was tracking i would eat half back if i was still hungry .i think this time around i wont put in exercise .
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    I eat back some of them, I exercise to get healthy and tone, but that also means I need to eat those calories because mfp is set up that if you dont workout, you eat X amount of calories, but the more active you are, the more calories you get to eat. and if you do eat back your exercise calories now, it will be easier for you to once you get into maintenence, unless you are one of those people that plan to stop working out once you get to your goal.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I lost over 120 lbs eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well

^I lost 160+ NOT eating back my exercise calories, worked pretty damn well for me. I have been maintaining for 14 months.

We all ARE snowflakes! Do what works for you in all facets of this new way of living. :)

Do you go on 30-60 mile bike rides? If I didn't eat back those calories I would never have the energy to do that
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    damiandw wrote: »

It's not a reward it's fuel for your body. Eating half works if you think you are overestimating your burns.

^^This. All day. Every day. I eat them all (Fitbit adjustment numbers, not MFP's, in case that makes a difference). Lost my weight more or less consistently, at exactly the rate indicated by the deficit I set for myself. FUEL, people, FUEL! Not rewards and punishments.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Very good thread. This is one thing that really does get confusing for me.

I was entering it into MFP however when I do it will boost it to some crazy number like "you earned 684 calories from exercise".

I like the idea of eating back half of it. Although I have no idea how to calculate a "strength training class".

I am just back into after being AWOL for several months so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.

My exercise is to build my core, due to a weak core, plantar fascitis, and a nasty Morton's neuroma I do not want to tick off in my right foot.

I am trying to lose 20lbs.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    I try to only eat back my exercise calories if I had a large burn and, then, I will not eat all of them back. I have my activity level set on sedentary, am only set to lose 1 lb / week, and I also have a lot to lose. So, if the nutrients look good for the day, I will try to use the extra deficit to accelerate my weight loss. I also do cheat meals so the extra deficits help to buffer my higher calorie days.