WATER

Replies

• buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 52 Member
    Only water counts as water, tea or coffee do count since these are considered dieratic.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Same issue here. My coworkers start giggling about my 4th trip down the hall...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    All water intake counts. Food and liquids. Just because you added something to it does not magically alter it so it no longer hydrates you. It is not alchemy. If you are peeing to much then cut back on intake.

If 1 is good then 15 must be better...right? Wrong.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited January 2015
    8 cups of water is a recommended minimum and not considered lots of water. I drink a gallon a day and if I go an hour without one glass I have a thirst sensation. It is all relative what you consider lots and your body will get used to the intake. If you sweeten the drink, you should not count the tea or water. Only count the tea if you go with unsweetened.

Oh and you will always be going to pee even after you drink what is recommended.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    wkwebby wrote: »
    8 cups of water is a recommended minimum and not considered lots of water. I drink a gallon a day and if I go an hour without one glass I have a thirst sensation. It is all relative what you consider lots and your body will get used to the intake. If you sweeten the drink, you should not count the tea or water. Only count the tea if you go with unsweetened.

Oh and you will always be going to pee even after you drink what is recommended.

Why? Does it stop containing water if you add sugar?

• CatJill86
    CatJill86 Posts: 35 Member
    That doesnt make any sense to not count it if you use a sweetener! I spoke with a nutritionist years ago and he said it counts and also so that would mean that if someone uses those crystal lights cant count those as water? no that isnt correct.
  • get_fit2009
    For me, it is personal preference to just count water, especially on days where I workout. However, my doctor has said to count anything that is calorie and caffeine free.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    CatJill86 wrote: »
    That doesnt make any sense to not count it if you use a sweetener! I spoke with a nutritionist years ago and he said it counts and also so that would mean that if someone uses those crystal lights cant count those as water? no that isnt correct.

It's a personal choice. i consider sweet tea a treat beverage and i do not count it toward my water intake goal. to each his own.

• get_fit2009

My doc just said it's because the body has to break down the sugar, so the uses water for the digestion process. So, I guess that makes it a wash instead of being +1 toward your daily fluid goals...
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member

My doc just said it's because the body has to break down the sugar, so the uses water for the digestion process. So, I guess that makes it a wash instead of being +1 toward your daily fluid goals...

This. Now granted, if it is less than a 1/2 teaspoon, it would be better than a tablespoon, but why sweeten it at all?
  • mustgetmuscles1

This. Now granted, if it is less than a 1/2 teaspoon, it would be better than a tablespoon, but why sweeten it at all?

Didnt read the links obviously. Why not sweeten it if you can fit the calories and you enjoy it sweetened? Adding a sweetener does not alter the the water to no longer provide hydration. If you have some evidence that it does I would be happy to look at it though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited January 2015

I guess evidence means different things to different people. A naturopath's opinion? Ok I think I will go with actual science from the Institute Of Medicine.

• mustgetmuscles1
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

"Our data show that there were no significant differences across a wide range of haematological and urinary markers of hydration status between trials. These data suggest that coffee, when consumed in moderation by caffeine habituated males provides similar hydrating qualities to water"

Just so we are clear I am not saying people should not drink water if they like it and are thirsty. I just question the people that think it doesnt count as water if it has anything in it. Like heating it up and putting it through coffee grounds suddenly make it foreign to the body and no longer provides hydration.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member

"Our data show that there were no significant differences across a wide range of haematological and urinary markers of hydration status between trials. These data suggest that coffee, when consumed in moderation by caffeine habituated males provides similar hydrating qualities to water"

Just so we are clear I am not saying people should not drink water if they like it and are thirsty. I just question the people that think it doesnt count as water if it has anything in it. Like heating it up and putting it through coffee grounds suddenly make it foreign to the body and no longer provides hydration.

i just personally do not count anything unless it is pure water. that is my preference and i don't know why anyone cares how i count it?

i see what you're saying (in regards to coffee, tea) but just TO ME, if i drink a soda, that is way too far away from pure water to "count."

• get_fit2009
    I notice I get THIRSTY if I drink something sugary!
  • mustgetmuscles1

i just personally do not count anything unless it is pure water. that is my preference and i don't know why anyone cares how i count it?

i see what you're saying (in regards to coffee, tea) but just TO ME, if i drink a soda, that is way too far away from pure water to "count."

No one cares how you personally count water intake until you make a claim, on a public forum, that something doesnt count as water or that you should get some arbitrary number of cups based on nothing. Or that coffee or added sugar somehow requires so much water to process that it actually dehydrates you. That is just not factual. Not saying you did that. Just saying why it then becomes a discussion.

The water in pop still hydrates your body if you believe in it or not. If you want to count it is totally up to you.
  • CatJill86
    CatJill86 Posts: 35 Member
    I do not ever use real sugar I only drink sugar free stuff, 99% of the time I drink plain water, but my one tablespoon sweetened two cups of tea is counted as far as water although I do try to get as much water as I can before my bladder explodes.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    As long as it's clean water