No red meat, low iron

Options
Its been quite sometime since i had beef. I took it completely out of my diet. The only problem is now i have low iron and am always tired. Anyone else suffering from this?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When they diagnosed you, did they recommend a supplement? I went through a long period with anemia, among other things. It sucked, but it don't know how much was anemia and how much was other stuff. I was exhausted in a non-sleepy way and most sat around doing nothing.

If they recommended a supplement, take it. Mid you get constipated, call them up and they may recommend something to help with that. :)

Hope you're all better very soon!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Eat some beef.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When they diagnosed you, did they recommend a supplement? I went through a long period with anemia, among other things. It sucked, but it don't know how much was anemia and how much was other stuff. I was exhausted in a non-sleepy way and most sat around doing nothing.

If they recommended a supplement, take it. Mid you get constipated, call them up and they may recommend something to help with that. :)

"I was exhausted in a non-sleepy way and most sat around doing nothing."

OMG THIS IS ME!
  • BethMarieVA
    BethMarieVA Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat either...believe it or not Cheerios have a lot of iron! Try eating a bowl for breakfast each morning or taking a little baggie of them to work with you for a snack at your desk. They really help me. Spinach is high in iron as well.
  • chickey42
    chickey42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem too. I was a vegetarian for three years and suffered from very low iron. I was tired all the time and irritable as well. I also suffered from hair loss. My doctor prescribed iron tablets (3 times/day) for a while and once my iron stores were up reduced it to one tablet per day. I began to feel better soon after I started taking the iron. Try to eat iron rich foods as often as possible and talk to your doctor.

I do hope you feel better soon.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Gallen88 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

"I was exhausted in a non-sleepy way and most sat around doing nothing."

OMG THIS IS ME!

It's horrible. I'd think I was fine, start to do something and then have to sit down. So annoying! But, again, I don't know how much of it was the iron and how much was other things. It was like Pandora's Box for a while there. I got a bunch of things corrected all at once and for a while, it was almost like every day was better than the last.

Getting well is almost worth having been sick, lol. Like when a flu ends, you have energy and shower and eat and you feel ten times better than ever. Same, deal, only it was slower and lasted longer. :)

Just do what they tell you to do. It's all we can do. :)
  • VeronicaSummit
    VeronicaSummit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B 12 is good for blood formation. There can be a deficiency if there isn't enough proteins in the diet. :) energy levels should boost: they did for me at least.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Lentils, dried beans, and dark leafy greens are fantastic non-beef sources of iron.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lentils, dried beans, and dark leafy greens are fantastic non-beef sources of iron.
    ...and probably what got the OP into this conundrum in the first place.
    I think you may be a little generous with the word "fantastic", unless you are
    being literal. ;)
    There's no iron like heme-iron.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I recommend a prenatal vitamin. I eat red meat, and I'm still anemic, especially during that TOM. It seems to be a problem most women have. I take a supplement every day containing iron and vitamin D, and most days my energy levels are good. I can make it through a 12 hour work shift with no problem. Today, I went horseback riding, cleaned the apartment, cooked breakfast and dinner, went to Wal-mart to pick up a few things, and worked out. Plus, I plan on going out with a friend in a bit. I still have my lazy days, but doesn't everyone?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Iron-rich foods, make sure you also have vitamin C with those to help absorb the iron, and avoid things with tannin (tea, red wine) one hour either side of eating. And supplements.

I've been vegetarian for 22 years, always had low iron as a kid, and for my first few years of total vegetarianism. My iron levels are now rock solid and have been for years, so pfft to anyone who thinks vegetarian = anemic!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Gallen88 wrote: »
    Its been quite sometime since i had beef. I took it completely out of my diet. The only problem is now i have low iron and am always tired. Anyone else suffering from this?

You were tested and the result was low iron? Was a supplement recommended? Once iron stores have been depleted to the point of a low hemoglobin result, it is going to take some time with supplementation, for you to feel better. But you do need to supplement, as directed.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Are you self diagnosing or have you seen a Doctor? I have chronic anemia. I will always be on a prescription for iron medication and iron vitamins. It took a while for my Doctor and I to treat what we thought was a short term problem to months later after treatment and more blood work to figure out it's chronic and the way my RBC's are built. My dimorphic RBC's never went away and never will. Once I got on treatment my energy levels went up and I feel great. I do focus on food that is iron rich as well. It's not impossible to beat this and get your energy back. You do not have to eat red meat to do so. Work with your doctor on this condition. Best of Luck.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I like to include dark leafy greens and molasses for sources of iron. Consulting a doc is always a good idea with something like this though.
  • mixm7sages
    Options
    I am trying to remove red meat from my diet so I make sure to take a multi vitamin w/iron and eat cereal that is high in iron. On Sundays I make a dark green vegetable for dinner.
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Iron rich vegetarian foods: http://bembu.com/iron-rich-foods-for-vegetarians-and-vegans
    I buy a brand of sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil) that have 70% of the iron RDA in one tablespoon. I add them to pasta, cooked eggs, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beans and greens are great natural sources of iron. Most packaged cold breakfast cereals are fortified with iron.

Too much iron can be just as dangerous as too little, so it's best to speak to your doctor before taking a supplement.