Any out there on meds that make you gain weight?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I don't have any links to studies (sorry, I know some of y'all love your studies) but I have read that some medications can affect your metabolism. While it's true that it's still eating more than your body needs, when you've been going a long time believing your TDEE is one thing and that changes, you're going to gain weight, even if you're not eating any more than you were previously.
  • Hily93
    Hily93 Posts: 65 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hily93 wrote: »
    fevrale wrote: »
    I was on a medication that made me insatiably hungry. I gained 60 pounds in about 6 months. I'm trying to lose that weight now. I'm still on a similar medication but one without the side effect of constant hunger.

This. I was on Prednisone for 2 years and hated it. I was always hungry. It definitely contributed towards my weight gain. Luckily, I got off of it and the insatiable appetite ended.

I was put on meds that would increase my appetite, my doc said that it would be the worst side effect, but that I needed that since I hardly eat. But all I got was weight gain and no appetite. After I changed doc I found out the drug makes you gain weight and should never be given to a overweight person. I was already a bit overweight(size M) since the only thing I would eat a day would be sugary stuff, and due to misdiagnosed asthma I was forbidden to exercise. In the last 2 years I have gone from size S/M to size L/XL. :neutral_face:

What is the name of the medication that caused you to gain weight while in a caloric deficit?

Seroquel
  • Hily93
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Medications can increase the appetite. Eating too much makes you gain weight.

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained
  • I eat but not a lot at all. The problem is the lack of energy. I do not move enough. So your comment about over eating to gain weight is not correct.
  • Hily93
    I eat but not a lot at all. The problem is the lack of energy. I do not move enough. So your comment about over eating to gain weight is not correct.

I didn't eat that much, but I was very active. I still gained weight. I tried dieting during this period as well, but would give up after 3-4 weeks when I still gained.
  • MrM27, that comment is stupid as well. The lack of energy due to certain meds can make you not burn what you eat. What does one have to do to lose or maintain weight? Eat and work off what they ate. Meds change your body, your brain, which you do not know if that changes the way you process or store fat...unless you are a dr?
    smh, I'm not replying to you anymore
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.
  • Hily93
    MrM27 wrote: »

Meds don't have calories. They don't defy the laws of physics.

But they do make you gain weight

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat

• I didn't eat that much, but I was very active. I still gained weight. I tried dieting during this period as well, but would give up after 3-4 weeks when I still gained.[/quote]

I understand, I would give up too, which is part of the problem. Its hard to do but you can. Just keep at it till you get it right. Thats what I'm doing, which is why I started back on here yesterday. I am finally ready for a change and prepared to fight for it.
  • Hily93

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.
  • Hily93
    MrM27, that comment is stupid as well. The lack of energy due to certain meds can make you not burn what you eat. What does one have to do to lose or maintain weight? Eat and work off what they ate. Meds change your body, your brain, which you do not know if that changes the way you process or store fat...unless you are a dr?
    smh, I'm not replying to you anymore

Thank you AngelMarie!!! I'm a med student myself and I went to a medical high school, and I have work at hospitals.
  • sometimes not eating enough can cause weight gain. So I have been told :neutral_face:
  • Hily93
    I didn't eat that much, but I was very active. I still gained weight. I tried dieting during this period as well, but would give up after 3-4 weeks when I still gained.

I understand, I would give up too, which is part of the problem. Its hard to do but you can. Just keep at it till you get it right. Thats what I'm doing, which is why I started back on here yesterday. I am finally ready for a change and prepared to fight for it.
    [/quote]

I didn't know that my meds caused my weight gain, I blamed myself. According to my doc there was no such effects. I didn't find that out untill 6 months ago after being on the meds for 2 and a half year.
  • Liftng4Lis

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.

Okay, so you're saying you're the exception to science? It's CICO, bottom line.
  • Hily93
    sometimes not eating enough can cause weight gain. So I have been told :neutral_face:

That is true, but only if you still eat, like you eat to little a day can make your body think it's in starvation mode and every little thing that comes into your body is stored as fat. But if you don't eat for days as I did you shouldn't gain weight, not like this.
  • Hily93

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat
    Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited January 2015
    If there are naturally occurring conditions (ok, technically disorders) that can cause the body to not burn calories at a normal predicted rate, why is it so hard to believe that the same thing might occur when we use chemicals to alter the way our body functions?

Let's take birth control pills or injections, for example. They alter our body's hormones. So does a thyroid that's out of whack. Nobody would tell someone with a thyroid condition they're being lazy if they gain weight, but if you're on BC and gain, it's all your fault for overeating. :\

I don't believe in being a "special snowflake," but I also know that our bodies are very complex and don't all react exactly the same, either. Otherwise, we wouldn't need a billion different medications for each condition.

Technically, yes, it is still CICO, but if your body suddenly starts processing calories differently, it still takes some adjustment to understand wtf is going on.
  • Liftng4Lis

Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!

Yes, promoters of weight gain, because they increase appetite.
    Quoted from there :Instead prepare for the visit by keeping a food diary of what you eat and when you eat it - "probably the best behavioral tool out there for losing weight."

You should also take steps to help work off any excess pounds, Fernstrom adds.

"Be a mindful eater, knowing you are at risk for weight gain," she says.