Any out there on meds that make you gain weight?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    But also....
    Fernstrom says you should suspect your medicine cabinet is at the root of your problem if you gain five or more pounds in a month without overeating or exercising less.

"You have to look at your lifestyle carefully and then if you still can't explain those extra pounds, you should begin to suspect it's your medication, particularly if you recently started a new medication," she says.
  • Hily93
    Hily93 Posts: 65 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Hily93 wrote: »
    Medications can increase the appetite. Eating too much makes you gain weight.

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.

Okay, so you're saying you're the exception to science? It's CICO, bottom line.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat
    Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!

Yes, promoters of weight gain, because they increase appetite.
    Quoted from there :Instead prepare for the visit by keeping a food diary of what you eat and when you eat it - "probably the best behavioral tool out there for losing weight."

You should also take steps to help work off any excess pounds, Fernstrom adds.

"Be a mindful eater, knowing you are at risk for weight gain," she says.

That states that you should be more careful while on the drug! Why, because it makes you gain weight. Seriously are you a doc? A nurse? Do you have any medical experience that is more than the 4 doctors that all told me that my meds were the reason I gained this much weight in such a period?
  • Hily93
    If there are naturally occurring conditions (ok, technically disorders) that can cause the body to not burn calories at a normal predicted rate, why is it so hard to believe that the same thing might occur when we use chemicals to alter the way our body functions?

Let's take birth control pills or injections, for example. They alter our body's hormones. So does a thyroid that's out of whack. Nobody would tell someone with a thyroid condition they're being lazy if they gain weight, but if you're on BC and gain, it's all your fault for overeating. :\

I don't believe in being a "special snowflake," but I also know that our bodies are very complex and don't all react exactly the same, either. Otherwise, we wouldn't need a billion different medications for each condition.

Technically, yes, it is still CICO, but if your body suddenly starts processing calories differently, it still takes some adjustment to understand wtf is going on.

True, couldn't agree with you more! I have a friend that has a thyroid problem, she hates sweet stuff, never touches it. She eats really healthy and is on her feet all day. She still can't get rid of the extra weight she put on because of her condition.
  • just ignore the negative. no one has walked in your shoes or anyone elses. dont let comments bring you down or alter your goals.
  • judydixon98
    judydixon98 Posts: 5 Member
    Excerpt from article:
    "What causes medication-related weight gain?

Sometimes it is not the drug itself causing weight gain; however, it is the side-effects from the drug. Some drugs stimulate your appetite, and as a result, you eat more. Others may affect how your body absorbs and stores glucose, which can lead to fat deposits in the midsection of your body. Some cause calories to be burned slower by changing your body’s metabolism. Others cause shortness of breath and fatigue, making it difficult for people to exercise. Other drugs can cause you to retain water, which adds weight but not necessarily fat.

How much weight is gained varies from person-to-person and from drug-to-drug. Some people may gain a few pounds throughout the course of a year, while other people can gain 10, 20 or more pounds in just a few months. Because many of these medications are taken for chronic conditions, you may use them for several years with their use contributing to significant weight gain throughout time."

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/general-articles/prescription-medications-weight-gain
  • Hily93 wrote: »
    i just found out today that the new meds I am on makes me gain weight, this after trying for 6 months to find options that won't make you gain. I wouldn't have noticed anything if not for the fact that I have been doing everything right and still gained half a kg. A little background on me, I have been on meds that made me gain weight for 2 years but I didn't know, I just blamed it on my bad diet, now that I think after I had periods when I would hardly eat anything and would still gain. I tried a couple of time to lose weight by being very active and fixing my diet, but nothing worked. This is the first time I have really tried to lose weight and not given up. I am a 21 year old med student and live abroad :) I really want to make some friends here so feel free to add me :)

• armygirl165
    armygirl165 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm on epilepsy medication and they mess around with your appetite like crazy, even if they don't have calories!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Some cause water retention, increased appetite, or lethargy (which can cause you to want to move less). Others I believe actually do lower your TDEE. They still don't force you to gain weight but they can make it easier to gain if you're not paying attention and adjusting your intake accordingly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat
    Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!

Quoted from there :Instead prepare for the visit by keeping a food diary of what you eat and when you eat it - "probably the best behavioral tool out there for losing weight."

That states that you should be more careful while on the drug! Why, because it makes you gain weight. Seriously are you a doc? A nurse? Do you have any medical experience that is more than the 4 doctors that all told me that my meds were the reason I gained this much weight in such a period?

If you want an excuse then you're going to use one. Again, one gains weight, by eating more than they burn, regardless of the amount. Basic science.
    Yes, medication can increase your appetite and or affect your metabolism. It's up to you to offset that.
  • Hily93
    just ignore the negative. no one has walked in your shoes or anyone elses. dont let comments bring you down or alter your goals.

True, but just kind of annoyed since this post was for those that are going through this. Losing weight for us is harder, and you might gain even though you are doing everything right, that's what happened to me, and I was so sad until my brother told me to be patient(he's a doc) and that it would come eventually
  • Hily93
    Excerpt from article:
    "What causes medication-related weight gain?

Sometimes it is not the drug itself causing weight gain; however, it is the side-effects from the drug. Some drugs stimulate your appetite, and as a result, you eat more. Others may affect how your body absorbs and stores glucose, which can lead to fat deposits in the midsection of your body. Some cause calories to be burned slower by changing your body’s metabolism. Others cause shortness of breath and fatigue, making it difficult for people to exercise. Other drugs can cause you to retain water, which adds weight but not necessarily fat.

How much weight is gained varies from person-to-person and from drug-to-drug. Some people may gain a few pounds throughout the course of a year, while other people can gain 10, 20 or more pounds in just a few months. Because many of these medications are taken for chronic conditions, you may use them for several years with their use contributing to significant weight gain throughout time."

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/general-articles/prescription-medications-weight-gain

This is true, for me I have gained the most weight on my midsection
  • Hily93
    Some cause water retention, increased appetite, or lethargy (which can cause you to want to move less). Others I believe actually do lower your TDEE. They still don't force you to gain weight but they can make it easier to gain if you're not paying attention and adjusting your intake accordingly.

Yeah, that's what happened to me, I didn't even know for 2 and a half years
  • Hily93
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27, that comment is stupid as well. The lack of energy due to certain meds can make you not burn what you eat. What does one have to do to lose or maintain weight? Eat and work off what they ate. Meds change your body, your brain, which you do not know if that changes the way you process or store fat...unless you are a dr?
    smh, I'm not replying to you anymore

Doesn't bother me if you think my comments are stupid. It also doesn't bother me if you don't reply to me anymore. If you have less energy and burn less calories it still comes down to CICO. Tell me how it changes your brain and the way it stores fat.

Exactly. Increased appetite leads to over eating leading to weight gain.
    I'm on epilepsy medication and they mess around with your appetite like crazy, even if they don't have calories!

Leading to eating more therefore gaining weight. Even if the meds don't have calories.
    just ignore the negative. no one has walked in your shoes or anyone elses. dont let comments bring you down or alter your goals.

True, but just kind of annoyed since this post was for those that are going through this. Losing weight for us is harder, and you might gain even though you are doing everything right, that's what happened to me, and I was so sad until my brother told me to be patient(he's a doc) and that it would come eventually
    The truth =/= negative comments.

If you don't like my comments so much why did you send me a friend request?

You just qouted the comments that proved your point and skipped the ones that didn't seriously grow up!
  • Hily93
    Okay once again, this is NOT a post to discuss if meds make you gain weight it's for us that have been there!!
  • Yes. I'm on a cancer med (tamoxifen) that put 15 pounds on me immediately. All you can do is your best and not take it as license to give up. I work harder now, but I have a big butt. Turns out, that's not the worst thing in the world. You just have to accept that some things are as they are, and you just cannot give up on yourself.
  • MrM27 wrote: »

Meds don't have calories. They don't defy the laws of physics.

Ignorant
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Meds can cause weight gain in ways that researchers have only recently begun to study.
    How do you know the cause fat gain, not water retention, if they haven't even begun to study it and said it does?

How do meds negate physics?

Magic
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Meds can cause weight gain in ways that researchers have only recently begun to study.
    How do you know the cause fat gain, not water retention, if they haven't even begun to study it and said it does?

How do meds negate physics?

Magic

its-magic-shia-labeouf-gif.gif