Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

For some, they're in denial of what they are. So the fact that something dies in order to have meat, it makes their sparkles a little less sparkly.

My sparkles are just fine, thank you. Not an ounce of denial here.

I'm totally happy something can die and give me that giant porterhouse and a couple hundred hamburgers.

Some of us even raise our own, and even hunt our own, doing the denial work all by ourselves, covered in blood and guts and hide and bone.

Some of us have no qualms with the natural order of things dying to feed other things.
    Some of us are adults and have no problems with it.

The others, buy food in the store where "no animals were harmed."

However, I find it interesting, you immediately believed you were in denial. No need to project, it sounds like you are one of the few doing it right.

Good job.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    A comedy show on the radio last week told me to google 'chicken eating cow' - go ahead and do it!

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The people who go on about a high meat diet being unsustainable for the human population are right... because the human population is too high and increasing too quickly.

Breed less and eat more steak.

The reason meat is more unsustainable than veggies is that animals eat so much themselves before we can eat them. I was taught in school that the area of field needed to grow enough animal food to produce one meal with steak, could produce up to 100 vegetarian meals. So, growing animals for food isn't very efficient use of land.

Well, maybe. Animals are a lot less fussy about the plants they eat than people. Livestock can graze land that is too sparse to grow food for humans consumption. Sheep and goats in particular can survive on very marginal land like this:
    mzxSGJG.jpg

And remember the earth is covered 70% by water. There are few water based plants that are human edible but we can glean many calories from fishing. Some human populations like the Inuit were able to survive in the Artic where there is no arable land at all by harvesting sea animals.

So sometimes eating animals IS the most efficient use of the earth.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    peter56765 wrote: »
    The people who go on about a high meat diet being unsustainable for the human population are right... because the human population is too high and increasing too quickly.

The reason meat is more unsustainable than veggies is that animals eat so much themselves before we can eat them. I was taught in school that the area of field needed to grow enough animal food to produce one meal with steak, could produce up to 100 vegetarian meals. So, growing animals for food isn't very efficient use of land.

Well, maybe. Animals are a lot less fussy about the plants they eat than people. Livestock can graze land that is too sparse to grow food for humans consumption. Sheep and goats in particular can survive on very marginal land like this:
    mzxSGJG.jpg

And remember the earth is covered 70% by water. There are few water based plants that are human edible but we can glean many calories from fishing. Some human populations like the Inuit were able to survive in the Artic where there is no arable land at all by harvesting sea animals.

Now I am wondering if you can eat mountain goats. I don't think I'v ever heard of anyone eating those.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member

mzxSGJG.jpg

+10000000000000

Not to mention, without livestock there would be no manure. Green manure still takes up water and space that crops could occupy.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

meh- not living by the time it gets to my face so I'm good.

- technically veggies are living things too before we pick them- just on a different level.

If you were to take that idea to the fullest you couldn't even breath- there are living things everywhere on so many levels.

rlc5b03zjwlw.jpg

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Eating too much meat has been strongly linked to colon cancer...the question is how much is too much. However, meat also provides a lot of nutrition...things like iron and protein. So it is fair to say there are both benefits and some risks with meat. I eat it every day...mostly chicken. To me, all the benefits I get from the protein outweigh any possible drawbacks. But everybody has to make their own decision on that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Animals are a lot less fussy about the plants they eat than people. Livestock can graze land that is too sparse to grow food for humans consumption. Sheep and goats in particular can survive on very marginal land like this:
    mzxSGJG.jpg

That works great when human population is equally sparse.

That's a long, long way from "steak for everyone, everyday!"...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

Hopefully your makeup does not contain the usual snail secretions, bird poop, foreskin, sheep grease, shark liver oil, etc.

Most vegans are completely informed about what is in makeup and hair products they choose to use.

yup no snail slime or crushed bugs on my face

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

^^^
    this
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Well all I can say is I play hell meeting my protein macro WITH meat. No way I'm even trying without it. You guy have fun with that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Meat is awesome. Just choose the leanest kinds, look for sales and specials, avoid a lot of additives, you know the drill.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I don't need the government telling me to eat less red meat. The price tag does that. :neutral_face:

But I eat chicken and fish like a fiend and I'm not about to stop.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Everything in moderation. Doing a "meatless Monday" from time to time doesn't hurt. Learning to eat more sustainable proteins is the way to go. Eating locally and sustainably is often more expensive but it is better for the animals, better for the environment (all the emissions of shipping! eeeek!, not to mention deforestation for pasture and packing industry space), and better for you because there is less of a chance of hormones and gross feed being in the final product you consume.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    There's not a freaking thing wrong with eating meat. "Oh, it causes cancer!" Yards yadda. What doesn't? Plug up your noses, paranoid people. Our polluted air does the same, so we might as well stop breathing.

OVERconsumption of anything is bad. Even water (see: hyponatremia). Meat provides lean proteins and fat when you proportion it according with other nutrient rich foods.

And all you vegans who do it for animal rights, stop eating those poor animals foods! (Lol I'm so kidding there, I respect all people's beliefs and values. Just a little omnivore humor!). :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    Well all I can say is I play hell meeting my protein macro WITH meat. No way I'm even trying without it. You guy have fun with that.

Haha no kidding. I'm all for meatless Mondays and all but sheesh, I'd never reach 120g of protein without meat.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2015
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    spunmommy wrote: »
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob

Maybe, but I am a serious carnivore, like I watched that movie that turned everyone else vegan and even the worst scenes made me drool, and I do not eat any meat that isn't from a local organic farmer. The horrible thing about meat is the hormones and antibiotics that the factory farms pump it full of. WHICH don't even kill off the diseases so you have to cook the joy out of it just to make it safe.

I put in for a Kickstarter for a new butcher shop which is all about local sourcing and using the whole animal so I am planning to start trying more organ meats as soon as they open. Om freakin nom nom nom.

Oh my, do I ever get you. There was a show on BBC awhile back called "Kill It, Cook it, Eat It" in the episode I remember best, they had a deer hung from a hook and they skinned it one movement and that had me salivating.... I knew I was and would ever be an unapologetic carnivore.

Link me your Kickstarter, even if you're not local I'll find a way to support you. If you do end up being close, I'm totally first in line. Especially if you can get me a nice elk steak. Nomnom indeed. (Edited, I misunderstood who's Kickstarter it was.)
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    agal129 wrote: »
    Meat and animal products increase cholesterol levels.

No they don't....

And... The Lipid Hypothesis is being proven to be crappy science. So there's that.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Animals are a lot less fussy about the plants they eat than people. Livestock can graze land that is too sparse to grow food for humans consumption. Sheep and goats in particular can survive on very marginal land like this:
    mzxSGJG.jpg

I never said otherwise. Just pointing out that eating animals is not necessarily a poor use of the earth. Sometimes it is the most efficient use. There is plenty of land today that is only arable because of heavy use of petro-fertilizers. That's not sustainable. For the sea, eating animals from it is the only use we can make use of that 70% of the earth.

Overpopulation is real problem but we're not going to solve by everyone becoming a vegetarian.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    mzxSGJG.jpg

I never said otherwise. Just pointing out that eating animals is not necessarily a poor use of the earth. Sometimes it is the most efficient use. There is plenty of land today that is only arable because of heavy use of petro-fertilizers. That's not sustainable. For the sea, eating animals from it is the only use we can make use of that 70% of the earth.

Overpopulation is real problem but we're not going to solve by everyone becoming a vegetarian.

Well, there are some people who eat a whole lot of meat, for their own reasons. I figure my vegetarianism helps to keep the balance. Or not, who knows?