Rinsing cottage cheese to reduce sodium

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6833685

Rinsing cottage cheese reduces the sodium by 60-80 percent!

"The sodium content of water-rinsed canned green beans, tuna, and cottage cheese was analyzed. A 3-minute rinse of tuna and cottage cheese resulted in sodium reductions of 80% and 63%, respectively, with no significant effect on iron content.Calcium was reduced by approximately 50%. Although rinsing had a minimal effect on the sodium in canned beans, replacing the canning brine with water before heating lowered salt content by 33%. This study shows that the simple and economical methods of water rinsing of tuna and cottage cheese and of heating green beans in tap water markedly lowered salt content."

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I do rinse canned chicken, mainly because it's noticeably too salty for my tastes.

I wouldn't rinse cottage cheese, I'd just be left with curds. I also wouldn't know how to log it.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Wow...quite a response LOL! Too funny I must say ;)

Personally I have to watch my sodium intake, really like cottage cheese (sometimes the 'dry curd' variety - which 'naturally' contains very low sodium is not always avail.).

Just thought I'd share and thought a few others might be interested too...
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Great idea. I have to watch my sodium intake also. Thanks :). Please send me a FR, as I can't figure out how to send you one using the app. (I click on your name but it doesn't take me to your profile). Thanks :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Have you ever tasted the salt-free cottage cheese? It is awful. :#
    The salt in cottage cheese is a good thing. :D
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    That sounds awful. Why not just get the reduced sodium kind?

^^This. I have medical reason to keep my sodium intake moderately low. I just buy the low sodium stuff and keep portions sensible. NO sodium cottage cheese is nasty tasting (IMO).
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    You can get the dry curds which come with essentially no sodium if you are planning to rinse it anyway. They are pretty gross but you can throw them into a smoothie or use them in lasagna instead of the standard ricotta.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    I'm definitely interested in this info, Shartran ! Thanks so much for sharing that.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Ok admittedly this sounds really gross BUT with that said, I rinse ground beef. I've done this for several years now and it does sound disgusting to some people so I can't really judge the OP :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Clean eating at its finest, dear shart.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    It would seem to me that rinsing it would change it into something else. I might as well just eat something else. That said, I do try to reduce my sodium, but I've never had trouble fitting in some cottage cheese. If I want lower sodium cheese, I wouldn't alter an existing product, I'd just have mozzarella, emmenthal or something.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    You can get the dry curds which come with essentially no sodium if you are planning to rinse it anyway. They are pretty gross but you can throw them into a smoothie or use them in lasagna instead of the standard ricotta.

Yes, that's type I usually buy - but I guess it's a popular variety, as I'm finding it 'sold out' quite often. Thanks
  • deed767
    deed767 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I love cottage cheese. However I now have to watch my sodium in take do to high blood pressure. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese contains 450mg of sodium. Now for someone who loves cottage cheese and loves the 13g of protein it provides washing it would be worth it. I can only have 1300g of sodium per day and almost we eat seem to have it in it. So if I can eliminate 80% of the sodium then I'm all for it.