Say "NO" to GMO!

Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    No, I don't agree.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    There's a lot to learn. More than one days worth, for sure. That said, there are several GMO groups on here, if you want to keep learning.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    This talk is a must see! My how our food supply is changing. What to do?
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152500412443202&id=101949068201&ref=bookmark
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2015
    What's so horrible about GMO's exactly?

Hopefully you don't ever need to take insulin, a genetically modified bacteria is used to make it.

eta: I don't mean to come off as snarky, but having my BS in biology it often gets me riled up when people attack GMOs and generally have no solid evidence backing up their claims other than biased documentaries and websites with an agenda.

Without GMOs there would be an even larger gap in those who go hungry and don't have enough food to eat. Farmers are being driven to grow more food than ever on less land than ever, without GMOs that would be impossible. Oh yeah, those fruits and vegetables you (probably) love, wouldn't be half the size without genetic modification.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    No, I don't agree.

+1
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Scientific consensus says yes. GMOs are regarded as safe for both people and the environment and there is a lot of fear mongering out there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The science on the GMOs is good.
  • sdr2015
    sdr2015 Posts: 14 Member
    I have to agree with MTDDS18
  • miriamtob
    If you watch the video in the link I posted above, she talks about the different patented seeds. There are seeds which will only germinate if they are fertilized with monsanto's fertilizer. This only profits the mega corporations, not the farmers or the consumer. Other countries are not allowing some of the modifications to food that we see in the US until they are proved harmless. Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Whea
    miriamtob wrote: »
    If you watch the video in the link I posted above, she talks about the different patented seeds. There are seeds which will only germinate if they are fertilized with monsanto's fertilizer. This only profits the mega corporations, not the farmers or the consumer. Other countries are not allowing some of the modifications to food that we see in the US until they are proved harmless. Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

Wheat is not GMO. So your last sentence makes no sense. Wheat is not GMO anywhere.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Whea

Wheat is not GMO. So your last sentence makes no sense. Wheat is not GMO anywhere.

It's not just the last sentence, it's all nonsense.
    Take a farking science course idjits.
  • miriamtob
    Are you kidding?! It is GMO and barely resembles "the staff of life" the wheat we knew in biblical times.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Are you kidding?! It is GMO and barely resembles "the staff of life" the wheat we knew in biblical times.

Nor does your fecking green pepper or kale.
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2015
    No I don't agree.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I love GMOs.
  • KMCbluestar
    KMCbluestar Posts: 30 Member
    It's just my opinion but the things I found out about GMO's aren't the greatest for you.
  • RodaRose

That is true. Farmers over time modified wheat. One hundred years ago, people were eating a wheat that was different from what people ate two thousand years ago. What is your point?
    (At this time there is no [zero] GMO commercially grown wheat.)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Eh. No concern here.
  • RodaRose

The bolded part I agree with. Monsanto is a big bully -- paying off politicians, taking small farmers to court, . . ..
    Their food itself is safe to eat.

This discussion has been closed.