Help! Calories in duck leg?

Hello,

I'm a bit confused. I had duck leg for dinner and am logging everything at the moment. I used Gressingham Duck Legs and on the back of the packet it says "per cooked leg (edible protion)" 234kcal but on the MFP database it is almost twice as much?
What to log?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe you need to add it as a new food. None of the existing entries seem to be totally correct/updated.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Wow those database entries are all over the place. In this case, I would go with the package. It could be that they make different varieties or the MFP users have submitted it as they cook it (ie with butter or something)
  • obscuremusicreference
    edited January 2015
    This looks right but I can't direct-link

q2y3fpa06sxi.png

ETA: and no sodium or anything, that's really cute anonymous MFP user
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

q2y3fpa06sxi.png

I always find that humorous. I'm waiting for the extra-correct entry, then possibly, the super-correct one.
  • Thanks a lot! I was a bit worried about the "edible portion" part and 234 cals for duck leg seemed low but I didn't question my luck ;)
  • obscuremusicreference
    edited January 2015
    FredDoyle wrote: »

q2y3fpa06sxi.png

I always find that humorous. I'm waiting for the extra-correct entry, then possibly, the super-correct one.

There are at least two "corrected" Aldi entries that are off. Who we kidding with that "correct" stuff, now?

234 does seem low but since it's on the package/website, perhaps if you cook it without oil, herbs, or joy, you'll wind up there.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Hello,

I'm a bit confused. I had duck leg for dinner and am logging everything at the moment. I used Gressingham Duck Legs and on the back of the packet it says "per cooked leg (edible protion)" 234kcal but on the MFP database it is almost twice as much?
    What to log?

did you try scanning barcode with mfp scanner app?
    hugely dubious of the 234 cals tag.
    the product info says 223 cals per 100g, and its a 432g portion ,literally 800+ cals of edible meat(including skin).
    i havent eaten duck or lamb for 6 months for this reason.
    pre log BEFORE you eat.
    caveat emptor.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited January 2015
    http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Gressingham-2-Sticky-Duck-Legs/81979011 may help - scroll down for the nutrition "(cooked as instructions) per portion (half pack)" there's 500 grams in the pack and that's two portions.

Similarly http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--130962-Gressingham+duck+legs says 475 cals per average leg.
  • cw106 wrote: »
    Hello,

What to log?

did you try scanning barcode with mfp scanner app?
    hugely dubious of the 234 cals tag.
    the product info says 223 cals per 100g, and its a 432g portion ,literally 800+ cals of edible meat(including skin).
    i havent eaten duck or lamb for 6 months for this reason.
    pre log BEFORE you eat.
    caveat emptor.

Nope, I just looked it up. I normally log before I eat, apart from dinner. I weigh everything and write it down but if I logged it before I eat it'd be cold ;)

I might just get in touch with the company, see what they say.