Label food for having DNA

2»

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Look on the brightside. We're fortunate to at least have the 20% who don't need to be warned.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

Which is what we already do.

You do? Why? Is that not a waste of ink on your packaging since all food has DNA in it?

Or have I missed some sarcasm? :smile:

No sarcasm. Why would there be sarcasm? Virtually everything that has a food label on it has DNA it - what's the problem?

But nowhere on the food label does it say DNA.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

Which is what we already do.

You do? Why? Is that not a waste of ink on your packaging since all food has DNA in it?

Or have I missed some sarcasm? :smile:

No sarcasm. Why would there be sarcasm? Virtually everything that has a food label on it has DNA it - what's the problem?

But nowhere on the food label does it say DNA.

It's one of those hidden poisons, like TransBPA-fats
  • Dnarules
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I am going with 80% of people who were surveyed for this purpose are poorly educated in basic biology.

I'm going with 80% of posters will go with an unwarranted interpretation of the facts so they can make fun of people for being dumber than them.

I teach biology at the community college level, and I can tell you that the misconceptions with DNA and GMOs are there for a significant number of students. And I don't say it to make myself feel smarter than them. I am also surprised by the level of fear most students even have of this topic; it makes it difficult to reach them sometimes.

Anyone who lives in the US knows that science education, and even a general interest in science (or math), is a real problem for us right now. And I find it scary. Because the technology in this area is advancing so rapidly that we truly need a population that has a basic understanding of some of this.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I am going with 80% of people who were surveyed for this purpose are poorly educated in basic biology.

I'm going with 80% of posters will go with an unwarranted interpretation of the facts so they can make fun of people for being dumber than them.

Actually, I was thinking of sample bias when I wrote the comment. Apparently my meaning was poorly communicated.
  • Dnarules

Actually, I was thinking of sample bias when I wrote the comment. Apparently my meaning was poorly communicated.

This is a great point. It actually was my point. While I may not have started this off correctly, my whole point was that we really need to make biology more relevant to the American population. I know sometimes in our courses we spend so much time on the details that we lose sight of the big picture. If we could just make it relevant so that people understand why it is important! But the books keep getting bigger, and teaching methods don't change enough.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Dnarules wrote: »

This is a great point. It actually was my point. While I may not have started this off correctly, my whole point was that we really need to make biology more relevant to the American population. I know sometimes in our courses we spend so much time on the details that we lose sight of the big picture. If we could just make it relevant so that people understand why it is important! But the books keep getting bigger, and teaching methods don't change enough.

The wheels of academia are turning slowly. I agree that teaching methods are outdated. I don't think we are doing kids any favors. The question is how to reach the general public with accurate information at a time when there is an abundance of inaccurate information?
  • It reminds me of this Jimmy Kimmel clip about GMOs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEr23XJwFY

• SunnyKhan77
    SunnyKhan77 Posts: 4 Member
    "WARNING: This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The Surgeon General has determined that DNA is linked to a variety of diseases in both animals and humans. In some configurations, it is a risk factor for cancer and heart disease. Pregnant women are at very high risk of passing on DNA to their children."

That part made me laugh... just because you consume an organism's dna, doesnt mean you incorporate their dna into your own genome... silly people we aren't bacteria cells. The only time dna is a cause for disease is when youre born with that mutation on your own genome or when environmental stimuli such as radiation phsyically penetrate and damage the small portion of your dna that actually codes for functioning protein.

That is biology basics ^.... I thot everyone knew thatall living organisms contain dna... and normally humans eat other living(or use to be living) organisms. If you want to eat something that is 100% dna free...then your essentially asking to eat materials equivalent to plastic.. wood..stone..dirt.. well basically anything not alive :/

I vote for science to be a manditory part of education up until the 12th grade at least lolll