confusion . . . calories in chicken breast . . .

so I eat a lot of chicken breast just plain grilled skinless chicken breast that I add into a lot of different meals, I am slightly confused about how many calories are in chicken breast. I've read a lot of different things, should I weigh it before I cook it? After I cook it? How many calories are per oz? I am alittle OCD so everything I eat gets weighed or measured out, I know for a fact I can't eye ball things. If someone could help this girl out it would be much appreciated!

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I find it easiest to weigh chicken breast before cooking it. Calories-by-ounce measurements are easily available. Here's one site: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov
    Click on "start your search here"
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Weigh it before you cook it.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Weigh before you cook it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    so I eat a lot of chicken breast just plain grilled skinless chicken breast that I add into a lot of different meals, I am slightly confused about how many calories are in chicken breast. I've read a lot of different things, should I weigh it before I cook it? After I cook it? How many calories are per oz? I am alittle OCD so everything I eat gets weighed or measured out, I know for a fact I can't eye ball things. If someone could help this girl out it would be much appreciated!

Most chicken packages have the nutritional information on them since calories can vary. It should also list the weight of a serving and whether it is for raw or cooked.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Weigh it raw like others have said. Add whatever you use to grill and season it and log that, too.

If you eat it on the bone, weigh the bone afterwards and subtract that from the total weight to get the amount you actually ate.

If you grill it boneless, it's simple math.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Weigh meat/fish/chicke raw, but if you can't this website shows you how to calulate nutrients and calories. http://ontheregimen.com/2013/08/28/how-to-weigh-meat-cooked-or-raw/
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    weigh everything raw, and look up the ingredient with USDA written after it. That will probably be the most accurate calories/g available.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Search for Chicken - Breast, meat only
    Choose the non-asterisk entry for raw which corresponds to the USDA Foods List database.

uwjrhbwpjy10.jpg
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    I don't weight protein and guess it instead, protein won't make you fat so I don't really care how much of it I eat.
  • segacs
    I don't weight protein and guess it instead, protein won't make you fat so I don't really care how much of it I eat.

Would not recommend following this advice.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member

Too much of anything will make you gain weight. Ever been to a Brazilian churascurria? Eat there every day and you'll gain real fast.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member

Protein won't make you fat... wow! Yeah don't follow that advice. I was absolutely shocked when I weighed and logged a pork chop one time and found out how little of it I could eat and remain within a reasonable about of calories. Had I eaten the portion I wanted to then I would have gone way over my calories. Too many of those mistakes and yes you will get fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

This is not true. Eating a surplus of anything will make you gain weight.

Who told you that?
  • segacs
    Protein has 4 calories per gram, same as carbs. Fat has 9 calories per gram.

Eat too many calories and you'll gain weight, regardless of what type of calories they are.

Log and track everything.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Going against the majority, you can weigh it whenever you want. If you like cooking meats in bulk, then weigh it cooked and use the cooked entry if this is easier (which it is for me). If you're making a single serving and it's easier to weigh raw then weight and log it raw (which I do for single-serving things unless I'm lazy and would rather wait until after I cook it).

Just be sure you use the appropriate USDA-type entry for how you cooked and how you weighed it when entering it into your log. There are plenty of meats I pretty much never weigh raw, like salmon. We buy huge pieces, it would be annoying to weigh it raw and then divide into servings.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Who told you that?

Well crap I've believed this for a long time. I've read it on a few sites and figured it was a negative kind of calories LOL woops! Luckily I don't overeat it.

Sorry OP & Posters
    Mercy C:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Who told you that?

Well crap I've believed this for a long time. I've read it on a few sites and figured it was a negative kind of calories LOL woops! Luckily I don't overeat it.

Sorry OP & Posters
    Mercy C:

No such thing as a "negative calorie," but I'd assume that it can be difficult to overeat on protein because it is filling. Not that you won't gain weight on it.
  • weigh everything raw, and look up the ingredient with USDA written after it. That will probably be the most accurate calories/g available.

Awesome thank you! Will do
  • I don't weight protein and guess it instead, protein won't make you fat so I don't really care how much of it I eat.

I weigh everything too much of anything is not always a good thing
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member

lol