How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been in maintenance going on 21 months and I weigh myself 3-5 times per week.
    I'm shocked people actually weigh themselves everyday, what does that solve? Our bodies are going to fluctuate so your most likely not even getting an accurate number.

I used to weigh in weekly, but I now weigh in monthly. For me the number on the scale is important but not the most important thing. Muscle weighs more then fat.

trend analysis...more data points = more meaningful trend analysis. Whether you weigh in daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever...it's never an accurate number. It's all about trend analysis.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I'm shocked people actually weigh themselves everyday, what does that solve? Our bodies are going to fluctuate so your most likely not even getting an accurate number.

I used to weigh in weekly, but I now weigh in monthly. For me the number on the scale is important but not the most important thing. Muscle weighs more then fat.

^^Really? 1# of muscle weighs more than 1# of fat? ok

To each his own. Whatever works best for each of us is what we should do. We all have different needs and goals.

• Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    I weigh myself every Friday late morning. I can have times when I feel bloated so if I'm having one of those days then I'll weigh again when I feel better. Daily is not for me but it's each to their own. :smile:
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member

To each his own. Whatever works best for each of us is what we should do. We all have different needs and goals.

Yes muscle weighs more then fat, so what do you mean "really?" lol.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    First thing in the morning, every day. (well second thing in the morning, need to go to the bathroom first)

This.
    This, but I only log the result from Friday morning.

• stefaniemazz
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been in maintenance going on 21 months and I weigh myself 3-5 times per week.

trend analysis...more data points = more meaningful trend analysis. Whether you weigh in daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever...it's never an accurate number. It's all about trend analysis.

Eh personally I find it obsessive. I know myself, I would end up going crazy if I weighed myself everyday but everybody is different.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Please explain.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    every single morning keeps me going
  • AmyEMR
    AmyEMR Posts: 5 Member
    I weigh myself twice a week. My official reporting weight is taken on Sunday mornings. I picked Sunday because it seems to be the day that is the least rushed for me. Then I weigh in again on Wednesday mornings to make sure I am still on the right track. I tried weighing myself every day at one point and it became an obsession and ended up railroading my entire effort.
  • I weigh myself every day, it keeps me honest with myself, but I only take the reading on Tuesdays. I never weigh in on Mondays. They are depressing days anyway and I never want to make it worse just in case I didn't lose anything
  • stefaniemazz
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Please explain.

What I mean by that is, I could be 136 pounds with little to no muscle at a higher body fat percentage and be 136 pounds with a lower bodyfat percentage and more muscle and look completely different.

Maybe I should have explained that better the first go around.

• cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Everymorning before I get in the shower!
  • yopeeps025

Please explain.

What I mean by that is, I could be 136 pounds with little to no muscle at a higher body fat percentage and be 136 pounds with a lower bodyfat percentage and more muscle and look completely different.

You said muscle weighs more than fat which is incorrect.
  • stefaniemazz

Please explain.

Right I know what I said, I explained what I actually meant above. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

• McEneny
    McEneny Posts: 23 Member
    I like to weigh myself once a week. While I am losing weight I know I will use a 1 lb loss from day to day as an excuse to be able to eat more the next day.

I weigh myself at the gym before and after the workout the one time a week. I sweat a lot so the before and after are usually somewhere between 2 and 10 lb difference in water weight. I know it isn't exact, but it gives me an estimation of how much water I was retaining. I use the before as my tracking weight though, a hydrated Luke is a healthy Luke, not worn out dying from a workout Luke.

Once I get to the goal weight I think I will be weighing everyday to really push the maintenance aspect until I grow comfortable with not having a calorie deficit everyday.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member

1# = 1# or am I wrong?
  • stefaniemazz

1# = 1# or am I wrong?

I explained what I actually meant above.

• yopeeps025

Please explain.

Right I know what I said, I explained what I actually meant above. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

New people to the site do not know better and might believe misguided information.
  • 1-2 times per week. usually after the workout. I try to stick with just once a week, but i get curious.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    I am never stepping foot on a scale again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!