Dinner meal ideas anyone? Helpless :(

I'm a helpless 23 year old that doesn't know healthy meals if it hit her. I like to experiment (I tried quinoa for the first time Monday). I'm being really strict on myself and I have a salad almost everyday because I don't know what else I can have without going over sodium, carbohydrates or calories! Every time I put in my entries it says I'm under my calorie intake (I eat 830 when it should be 1200) and I just don't know what to do anymore :s:s:s

Can anyone help and share?

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    What foods do you like? How much effort are you willing or able to put into cooking?

I can suggest options for you, you can check my diary or you can try allrecipes.com and look stuff up there.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Yeesh that's no fun!

Some of my recent meals:
    - homemade gyros with tzatziki sauce
    - beer braised beef, mashed potatoes, and broccoli - watch portions, but seriously amazing
    - oven roasted chicken (can cook with skin on to seal flavour), asparagus with a bit of parmesan. Should have some sort of carb, but I'm always at a loss other than potatoes
    - sweet potato fries?
    - Balsamic pork tenderloin - to DIE for!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    These sites have helped me when I am in a rut ....skinnytaste.com ...emilybites.com....chef-in-training.com ....eatyourselfskinny.com and eatingwell.com ...wishing you much success :)
  • Linzer140fit
    Linzer140fit Posts: 31 Member
    If you were to cook up some chicken breasts, you could have pieces of that in your salad, you could make sandwiches with it. Ifyou don't cook much, go buy a roasted chicken at the store and use meat from that, to eat with your dinner, in your salad, in a sandwich. Another option if you dont' cook is to buy precooked, frozen grilled chicken strips, you microwave those easily and do all the above. It's not exciting, but will add protein to your days. You could add a sliced up hardboiled egg, bacon to your salads too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    This was our menu this week:

Beef tacos
    Homemade pizza/calzones
    Chili dogs
    Chicken and veggie stir fry
    Roasted chicken and baby red potatoes

Other go to's:

Steak sandwiches, chef's salad bar, balsamic and rosemary flank steak, beef stir fry, chicken tacos, chicken and rice, lemon pepper baked chicken, etc.

If any of those sound interesting, let me know - I'll type up the recipe for you. You're also welcome to look at my diary - anything that says "homemade" or "Jen's" are my recipes that I'm happy to share.