Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Replies

• Sheets76
    Sheets76 Posts: 76 Member
    Lynette try substituting it with sparkling water ... especially with italian food... it's awesome and once you get used to it... you'll never want the artificial taste of 'diet' soda again...I hate the taste of "diet" drinks
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Here is a random googled quote, no time to edit thing about diet soda.

Diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar sweetened sodas!!

How does that happen?
    •Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar activating our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
    •They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    •It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn less calories every day.
    •It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
    •In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks – EVEN eating less calories.
    •In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Aviva, settle petal. :) Memelendy meant no harm. Take a deep breath and don't let all this nastiness get to you. xx (Bet I'm old enough to be your mother or older sister maybe?)

That is all nonsense, based off that Yale study, which has already been debunked. The correlative link between the risk of obesity and diet soda drinking is known, but the causative factor has yet to be proven.

NEXT....

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So to restate, accurately this time, she lost weight by cutting calories.
    Shocking!

I am not disputing CICO, never have, and to restate, accurately this time, with the text she just sent me to validate any of my claims, "back in those days, I drank anything that fizzed."

And yes, she dropped the weight by not drinking "anything that fizzed."

Shocking no - life changing YES!!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited January 2015

How does that happen?
    •Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar activating our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
    •They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    •It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn less calories every day.
    •It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
    •In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks – EVEN eating less calories.
    •In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Aviva, settle petal. :) Memelendy meant no harm. Take a deep breath and don't let all this nastiness get to you. xx (Bet I'm old enough to be your mother or older sister maybe?)

That is all nonsense, based off that Yale study, which has already been debunked. The correlative link between the risk of obesity and diet soda drinking is known, but the causative factor has yet to be proven.

NEXT....
    Nothing has been debunked. The same conclusions have been reached in many studies over the past few years.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    scoandmur wrote: »
    Thank you LeenaGee and the rest who gave suggestions. Making some ice tea now

I think that's a great idea, but my question is, aren't you going to use sweetener in it [iced tea]?

Why would she? I drink a lot of homebrewed and chilled iced tea, and I never do. It doesn't need it.

I drink lots of water too (we have bottles available at work, along with coffee, tea, and diet soda), but often with dinner or in the evening I like a switch and iced tea is a lovely alternative.

Places where they assume that iced tea is sweetened unless you order "unsweet" are weird, IMO, although I strongly suspect this is mostly a regional thing, which is the only reason I answered.

in the south there is no such thing as unsweetened tea... lol I can't imagine drinking tea that is unsweetened.. blech...

There is unsweetened tea in the south (NC). It is what I get all the time. But I do believe I am in the minority.

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I used to drink 2 liters a day of diet cola. I've cut back to maybe having one 1L bottle every other week. I finally learned to drink plain water. I still don't love it, but I drink it.
    I think it was just the carbonation I really liked.
  • LeenaGee
    Kruggeri, I live life on the edge. lol
  • PeachyCarol
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

How does that happen?

NEXT....
    Nothing has been debunked. The same conclusions have been reached in many studies over the past few years.

You have not posted one thing with a conclusion. A hypothesis is not a conclusion. Can you even science? This is elementary school stuff about the scientific process.

• MoiAussi93
    You seem to have not read the actual studies.The hypothesis is only about the mechanism...the "how". The "what" is already known. The fact that artificial sweeteners cause cravings is well established.

They are now trying to determine exactly why that is. What HAS been proven is that sugar has a much more dramatic effect on activating certain parts of the brain than artificial sweeteners. They just can't conclusively determine why yet. But frankly, the why is irrelevant to me. I know artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings. That's all I need to know.
  • aviva 92 SmileyClapping.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    You seem to have not read the actual studies.The hypothesis is only about the mechanism...the "how". The "what" is already known. The fact that artificial sweeteners cause cravings is well established.

They are now trying to determine exactly why that is. What HAS been proven is that sugar has a much more dramatic effect on activating certain parts of the brain than artificial sweeteners. They just can't conclusively determine why yet. But frankly, the why is irrelevant to me. I know artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings. That's all I need to know.

I did read the studies. The hypothesis WAS that artificial sweeteners cause cravings.

You obviously didn't read them.

• LeenaGee
    ketorach wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    No scientific evidence from me either. I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up diet soda and lose a massive amount of weight by doing just that one thing. Granted that once she had lost a huge amount of weight, it inspired her to continue and change her eating to nutritious food and to start exercising. Whilst drinking diet soda she did not have the energy or the inclination to improve her health.

She no longer drinks it or wants to drink it.

Nope, she definitely did not lose weight by giving up just diet soda because there are no calories in diet soda. She started eating less and/or created a deficit through exercise, because that's how weight is lost. However, it's wonderful that letting go of soda helped her get back her motivation.

Perhaps a wrong choice of words from me so let's go inside my head for half a second. Diet soda, soda, diet coke, coke, pepsi, diet pepsi, etc etc etc are all the same to me "total crap with zero nutritional value." None, whatsoever.

So my sentence should have read "I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up this "total crap with zero nutritional value" and lose a huge amount of weight by doing just doing that one thing.

And no she didn't lose it by through exercise as it was not until she had lost a massive amount of weight that she found her motivation and was able to exercise. So I repeat, she lost the weight by giving up whatever "crappy" drink she was drinking at the time. Granted, she possibly moved more and a pattern of change was set in motion.

However, her nutritional knowledge was poor and she exercised and ate less of poor quality food and continued to lose weight. She looked amazing for about a year but because her basic eating pattern had only lessened but hadn't changed, evidently some of the weight returned. She is still not drinking "that total crap with zero nutritional value" and is nowhere near the weight she was before.

Now do you see how it is easier to say "diet soda." I think from memory her poison was Coke.

As for those involved in the tooth decay "discussion." I am not even going to go there as it is absolute kindergarten stuff regarding basic and common dental knowledge.
    WT-actual-F? diet Coke != Coke. Coke has 140 calories in 12oz compared with 0 in diet Coke.

This is literally the stupidest argument/stance I've ever seen.

Well you obviously haven't read many of my posts or, for that matter, many other posts on this site. lol
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    aviva 92 SmileyClapping.gif

oh! hi there.
  • why drink diet soda? you could go grab a pint of cool, creamy Ben and Jerry's instead. a pint of chunky monkey sounds good right now. mmmmmmm....
  • it isn't fair that I have these outrageous pecs even though I chow down on burgers and pizza all day. some people got it, some don't i guess.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    why drink diet soda? you could go grab a pint of cool, creamy Ben and Jerry's instead. a pint of chunky monkey sounds good right now. mmmmmmm....

i'd rather have a cupcake.
  • MoiAussi93

I did read the studies. The hypothesis WAS that artificial sweeteners cause cravings.

You obviously didn't read them.
    It is well established that artificial sweeteners cause cravings. The majority of medical professionals will tell you this. It is not even a controversial idea outside of this message board.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Does anyone know to which forum the critical thinkers have emigrated? They seem to have disappeared. Please PM me and let me know.
  • PeachyCarol

You know what? I did some digging. The idea that artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings goes back to the Framingham Heart Study. Here's the bit that started the whole ball rolling. Far from conclusive.
    Finally, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin, sucralose,
    and neotame are 180, 200, 300, 600, and 7,000–13,000
    times sweeter than sugar, respectively. Has their adoption led
    to taste distortion, and increased appetite for intensely sweet,
    highly caloric foods?

It wasn't a conclusion, it was just a hypothesis.

Here's the study:

wnho.net/artificially_sweetened_beverages.pdf

As usual, one line in a medical paper got picked up by the media, kicked around for a few years, bandied about by quacks and blogs on the internet, and now it's accepted as fact.

This is also the study which never did nail down the link between obesity and diet soda drinking. They tried, but they still had to admit that more research was needed.
This discussion has been closed.