Exercise and Blood Pressure

I'm getting better with snacking but I'm getting frustrated with my blood pressure. My doctor put me on medicine in August and told me to lose weight. I half listened and then in October she changed it to add a water pill to it because she said I was retaining water and it was still high. I checked my pressure on one of those digital ones in the grocery store and it still says it's high. I'm eating better and doing atleast 20 minutes of activity, what else do I need to do to get it down? I'm so over this. Please help.

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    I am not a doctor so not giving any medical advice here. But mine was too high too.
    I cut back all added salt. And salty foods ( like cod or other salty foods) i spread over the week.

i eat everything fresh and homemade (cook from scratch)
    And like magic lol.... i got mine down again to 123/73.
    Took me 3 months and losing a lot of weight.

But no medication at all what so ever

I take some supplements and vitamins but that's it.

Also my blood sugar level is normal again.

So yes changing your diet could/can help and exercising. It only takes a bit of time.

You can add me and explore my diary if you want, if that helps
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Have you lost weight?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Lower your sodium and keep plugging away. When you say eating better, what does that mean?
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    This leaves some details out eating better can mean a lot of things. So did you eat a healthier diet, cut calories, or some combination? Second you say you half listened so did you listen and lose weight or no?

Now for some advice to take as you will lowering salt can help with this not saying it will and there is a limit to how low you should go and this should be determined by you and your doc if it's a route you take. Second upping your activity more if you can may also help more.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Talk to your doctor again about what you need to do to lower your BP. For some people, weight loss along with a lower sodium intake will lower BP. For others (like me), we just have HBP despite weight loss, lower sodium, and better eating.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Only some people have blood pressure that is sensitive to salt. Losing weight often helps. Cardiovascular exercise can help. Your blood vessels expand during exercise, so your blood pressure will often go down after exercise. Foods rich in potassium help some people.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    It's unlikely it has anything to do with sodium. Lose weight, exercise, take your meds as prescribed, and see your doc every 90 days or so until he/she gets the dosage correct for you.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    That's not a lot of activity.

Have you tried the DASH diet? Do you cook from scratch or eat processed foods?
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Sometimes weight loss does not change blood pressure readings enough to be in a safe level. But sometimes it does. I would encourage you to work hard to get to a healthy weight and see what that does but don't go too long with high blood pressure, it is dangerous to do so and very hard on your body.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    First if you are taking the medicine your blood pressure should not still be high.

The thing that started me on this was my high blood pressure, watching most of my relatives deal with that and how you start with one pill and then you need another for some reaction from the first pill - I wasn't having it. I started at 44 years old, 244 pounds at 5'2". My first doctor gave me medication that was not working for me and even though I took after doing some research I discovered it was not the recommend for African Americans. I am 99.9% sure I was AA the day he gave it to me. Now I have a new doctor who is semi-homeopathic and we discussed a plan that had me going to 175 and she would wean me off what I was supposed to be taking (that I never took). I think I was so excited not to have a Dr. tell me that I need to be a weight based on a chart that this really helped me work at it because it was a real goal that was for me as an individual. At 175 I was at a normal BP and with no pre-conditions (pre-diabetic, etc.) Of course losing weight will help, also being active will help, cutting the salt (it will take some time for your taste buds to adjust but you will be surprised).

If you are not comfortable with the advice the doctor is giving you and you cannot have a real conversation with your doctor to figure out a plan that you can manage you might want to consider changing. I always see this as a situation where there is only one me and I need to look out for me!
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Bermequeen, watch the movie forks over knives it is a life changer, and the engine #2 diet rip esylestein https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DbqzeO480rM&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Have you lost weight?

I've lost about 5lbs so far
  • bermequeen
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lower your sodium and keep plugging away. When you say eating better, what does that mean?

Less fried and fatty foods, less junky snacks, just mindful of my intake
  • bermequeen
    Only some people have blood pressure that is sensitive to salt. Losing weight often helps. Cardiovascular exercise can help. Your blood vessels expand during exercise, so your blood pressure will often go down after exercise. Foods rich in potassium help some people.

Ok I have a potassium, vitamin d, vitamin k, and iron deficiency
  • bermequeen
    CraigShift wrote: »
    Bermequeen, watch the movie forks over knives it is a life changer, and the engine #2 diet rip esylestein https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DbqzeO480rM&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688
    Thank you
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited January 2015
    I am not a doctor so not giving any medical advice here. But mine was too high too.
    I cut back all added salt. And salty foods ( like cod or other salty foods) i spread over the week.

i eat everything fresh and homemade (cook from scratch)
    And like magic lol.... i got mine down again to 123/73.
    Took me 3 months and losing a lot of weight.

But no medication at all what so ever

I take some supplements and vitamins but that's it.

Also my blood sugar level is normal again.

So yes changing your diet could/can help and exercising. It only takes a bit of time.

You can add me and explore my diary if you want, if that helps

^^ that and try adding tea with Hibbiscus in it, it naturally helps. I drink Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon. Also, try meditation or something similar, part of blood press is tension/stress.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I ignored my doctor for 7 years and finally decided to do something about it. Here are the things that help me to manage without medication (in addition to losing weight). Reduce sodium in take while balancing it with my potassium intake, low-mid intensity exercise nearly every day for at least 30 minutes, avoid coffee and other stimulants including any type of decongestant medication, drink the right level of water, added vitamin c to help with stress levels. This is my situation, may not work for others.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Do you have a home blood pressure monitor? Try the DASH diet. Measure your sodium intake. Start tracking it today and see how much you are actually consuming. Cut out caffeine. 30 minutes of vigorous cardio exercise every day; something like zumba. What worked best for me is the vigorous exercise every day and losing weight. I was so amazed how when I measure my BP an hour after exercising, my BP was nice and low. I would try the sodium reduction and vigorous exercise first.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm hypertensive and while often people can rectify this through diet, weightloss, and fitness, not all of us can. In my case, it is hereditary. I've been able to reduce my dosage, but I will likely be on hypertension meds for the rest of my life.

It's not all for not though...I'm more fit than I've been since my mid twenties and feel and look great. Taking a little pill isn't a big deal compared to the alternative...and really, had I not made the changes I made, hypertension would likely be the least of my worries in about a decade or so.

Also, if you're nutrient deficient you should start there...
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    First, lose that 50 lbs.
    You'll see the difference.