Squat Rack Etiquette

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    ...and then fanny about on the bench having a nice little rest whilst tapping away on their phone....
    Had that happen to me last week. I don't know about you, but I always keep an eye on the gym activity because I am anxious about getting to my next exercise where equipment is involved. As I was finishing up with the last 4-sets on the decline bench and my next move was the Incline Bench. A guy was on his iPod doing god-knows-what, endlessly thumbing away. I moved to the flat bench instead. I got about 4 sets in when the guy on his iPod decided to sit down and finally do his set. He did four reps and was finished. Finished.

He stood there for 20+ freak'n minutes on his iPod doing nothing.

He has forever earned the appellation of iPod-Guy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that - search out the next equipment, not the iPod thing. When I went to a commercial gym regularly, I'd be half way through my stuff and look over "is the bench free? oh it is! sweet!"
    Oh hey you too?

I'm anxious just getting to the gym and in the parking lot. The locker room is a mad dash swapping shoes in the winter - but that's why I change at the office. "Ohnoes... the squat rack will be monopolized and I'll be too shy (yes true) to ask to work in and my gainz will die die die."

Rarely happens. lol

I'm trying to figure out if you're serious or not...

I change at the office when I go to the commercial gym here (cardio only). But that's largely because I find their locker room disgusting.
    ...and then fanny about on the bench having a nice little rest whilst tapping away on their phone....
    Had that happen to me last week. I don't know about you, but I always keep an eye on the gym activity because I am anxious about getting to my next exercise where equipment is involved. As I was finishing up with the last 4-sets on the decline bench and my next move was the Incline Bench. A guy was on his iPod doing god-knows-what, endlessly thumbing away. I moved to the flat bench instead. I got about 4 sets in when the guy on his iPod decided to sit down and finally do his set. He did four reps and was finished. Finished.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that - search out the next equipment, not the iPod thing. When I went to a commercial gym regularly, I'd be half way through my stuff and look over "is the bench free? oh it is! sweet!"

I eyeball my next piece of equipment. If someone is on it, I have to determine if they would let me work in.

I did that when I lifted at a commercial gym. I went the same days and at the same time so I got to know the faces of the regulars. There were these two guys who would curl in the squat rack (at 510am) and if the other 2 cages were taken, if I asked how much longer they had, they almost always gave up the cage. They were almost always the ones between sets since there were two of them using it. It happened maybe a handful of times in the year I went there. At 510am, it was rare for all 3 cages to be taken
  • lishie_rebooted
    I’ve never actually seen anyone curl in the squat rack. How unacceptable is it to superset with it? I workout at a company gym which only has one rack. Someone was doing that this morning and it screwed everything up, creating a big wait.

I personally get kind of pissed at this one guy who will occupy the squat rack for an hour to an hour and a half. He never actually squats, but he lifts huge weight. He shrugs, does incline bench (which we have a dedicated bench for...), dead-lift-esque lifts and a few other things. He also changes shoes and shorts throughout this workout, which is unrelated, yet interesting.

I get the shoes thing. But shorts?! I guess he sharted?
  • ...and then fanny about on the bench having a nice little rest whilst tapping away on their phone....

Oh hey you too?

I'm anxious just getting to the gym and in the parking lot. The locker room is a mad dash swapping shoes in the winter - but that's why I change at the office. "Ohnoes... the squat rack will be monopolized and I'll be too shy (yes true) to ask to work in and my gainz will die die die."

Rarely happens. lol

I change at the office when I go to the commercial gym here (cardio only). But that's largely because I find their locker room disgusting.
    I stress out about getting equipment, but not quite that panicked like I will revert to my 12-year old self. Sorry, trying to be humorous. Fail.

But yeah, I change at the office - usually in my studio so I can get right to my workout with out much delay -- at least my afternoon workouts. On the weekends I still change before I go because I am there at 6am and still have the same fears because every once in awhile, GiantSet-the-Whole-GymGuy will be there. Jerk.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I am glad for my gym. We all work-in on the squat rack. Nobody hesitates to ask, and when there is that lone guy who says no, he tends to find his gym experience a little less than cordial.

I deadlift in the squat rack. There's no lifting platform in the gym, and the squat rack is the only place I can do rack pulls.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    If you want to do supersets, it would be a lot better to do it with standing dumbbell exercises. That way you're not hogging any task-specific space or equipment.
    Yep, I know that one.

Token git takes every dumb bell between 4kg-20kg and arranges them around themselves so they are easily to hand :# and then fanny about on the bench having a nice little rest whilst tapping away on their phone....these people drive me up the wall and get the "Paddington Bear Stare" off me. Buy your own set of weights and go home! :D

I love the Paddington hard stare!

Those numbnuts that take all the dumbbells sometimes take only one of some of the sets too. That makes me even more annoyed for some reason.

There's only 1 squat rack where I go and there are 2 curl racks right frigging behind it yet there's still a couple of tossers who curl in the squat rack, even if the other racks are empty. I think it's something to do with the squats being right in front of the mirror, but the view from the curl ones is impeded somewhat.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Was he also squatting? If so, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it if he were curling during his squat recovery time. Now, if your gym is so busy that "working in" on the rack is a common occurrence, then I could see an issue.
  • lishie_rebooted

Oh hey you too?

Rarely happens. lol

I stress out about getting equipment, but not quite that panicked like I will revert to my 12-year old self. Sorry, trying to be humorous. Fail.

But yeah, I change at the office - usually in my studio so I can get right to my workout with out much delay -- at least my afternoon workouts. On the weekends I still change before I go because I am there at 6am and still have the same fears because every once in awhile, GiantSet-the-Whole-GymGuy will be there. Jerk.

I thought you were kidding but I havent seen you post enough to know lol
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    My gym has 6 squat racks, 4 with platforms, and I still find from time to time that people will work out at one and sit on the one next to them to talk to their buddies -- that's why I like going in the early AM during the week -- you can have one of the racks to yourself.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Last week I saw a guy curling ~75lbs in the squat rack....with a spotter. We have 5 racks at my gym and it wasn't busy, but the mere sight of that blew my mind.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    What is a superset? Just kidding. :)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015

Oh hey you too?

Rarely happens. lol

I thought you were kidding but I havent seen you post enough to know lol
    #Truth! Thank you for asking though.

Is this a good time to rant about OldBro who supersets the whole gym and monopolizes the only squat rack for almost two hours doing maybe 5 sets of incline presses in his dad shorts and beach tank top and the same old pair of dirty white wrist straps and walks around like the badass he was in High School?

I. Hate. Him. And his mustache.

Luckily I am in cardio mode when I am there at that particular Anytime and at that time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I saw someone wheel a bench into the squat rack, bring two DB's into the rack, and do standing DB curls in the squat rack with a flat bench next to him. So he never used any feature of the squat rack and he never used the flat bench.

Totally blew my mind. To this day I still LOL at it.
  • SideSteel wrote: »
    I saw someone wheel a bench into the squat rack, bring two DB's into the rack, and do standing DB curls in the squat rack with a flat bench next to him. So he never used any feature of the squat rack and he never used the flat bench.

*** Mind boggled ***
  • SideSteel wrote: »

Should be tarred and feathered, IMO

Curls in the squat rack should be punishable by death. Or at least a caning
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Don't curl in a rack. Don't shrug in a rack. Don't bench press in a rack (unless your gym does not have a dedicated bench press). Don't deadlift in a rack.

In my opinion, the Squat rack is for Squatting and Overhead Press.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »

Wha???
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Now when people have one maybe two sets left on curls in the squat rack. I stare at them hard until they are done. My gym on has 3 45 pound bars.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Was he also squatting? If so, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it if he were curling during his squat recovery time. Now, if your gym is so busy that "working in" on the rack is a common occurrence, then I could see an issue.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I've been known to to set two bars up in the power cage - we have plenty of bars - and superset OHP and brocurls. Granted, I'm only there for about 10 minutes, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

But, really, if you squat, then rest 3 minutes, I don't see the harm in doing something else in the rack while you're resting. Unless, as was mentioned, people normally work in together.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Obeg wrote: »
    Don't curl in a rack. Don't shrug in a rack. Don't bench press in a rack (unless your gym does not have a dedicated bench press). Don't deadlift in a rack.

In my opinion, the Squat rack is for Squatting and Overhead Press.

or you can clean in up. Sorry I cannot clean my squat weight and I am not sure who can. So while I wait for someone who can clean what they shoulder press I will be staring hard until you are done overhead press in the squat rack.