Not losing anything :-(

I've been very dedicated for two weeks now, doing cardio every day and strength twice a week, eating healthy, focusing on nutrition as well as calorie intake, and I've gained two pounds. I need support so I don't just give up!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Can you open your diary? Did you just start working out? Are you coming upon TOM?
  • jstilts
    jstilts Posts: 4 Member
    Don't give up... It will come off... I was also getting so discouraged... Went from low carb/high fat to low fat but still watching my carbs and its coming off... Slowly.... Think of summer and a new bathing suit... New shorts and tanks tops... Hang in there
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's normal not to lose weight when you start exercising... just give it some time.
  • Trandolph
    Trandolph Posts: 1 Member
    I'm with you. It's hard to get started and once you do its so easy to become discouraged. Since Nov 1st I've been lifting weights 4-5 times/weeks and really watching what I eat using 40-40-20 macros intake. I've only lost 6lbs!!! :( It's really discouraging but I keep pushing myself to stick with it. You can do it! Post a motivational pic and look at it daily to remind yourself of the goals you want to achieve. :)
  • jgrabowski33
    jgrabowski33 Posts: 19 Member
    Take pictures! Even though your scale isn't showing it, your body is probably changing! Take your measurements, and log those along with your weight. Don't get discouraged just because you aren't seeing an immediate change- in the grand scheme of things two weeks is not a lot of time.
  • bufffanatic
    bufffanatic Posts: 33 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Can you open your diary? Did you just start working out? Are you coming upon TOM?

I just started working out regularly again, I was quite fit and working out every day until last summer, then I started making a lot of excuses and gained a lot of weight. So I'm trying to get back there! I'm not sure what TOM is?
  • bufffanatic
    Trandolph wrote: »
    I'm with you. It's hard to get started and once you do its so easy to become discouraged. Since Nov 1st I've been lifting weights 4-5 times/weeks and really watching what I eat using 40-40-20 macros intake. I've only lost 6lbs!!! :( It's really discouraging but I keep pushing myself to stick with it. You can do it! Post a motivational pic and look at it daily to remind yourself of the goals you want to achieve. :)

I understand the concept of muscle weighing more than fat, so even if you're losing fat you might still weigh the same/more! I imagine that's what your situation is, I'm sure you're looking great! Myself I'm sticking with cardio mainly, and strength just twice a week. I know I build some muscle doing cardio, because already it is so much easier! It's just so discouraging to see a gain. I'm trying to focus on little things, like my stomach is looking flatter/not so bloated with an improved diet!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

I just started working out regularly again, I was quite fit and working out every day until last summer, then I started making a lot of excuses and gained a lot of weight. So I'm trying to get back there! I'm not sure what TOM is?

TOM=time of the month (your period). Women can gain upwards of 5 pounds of water weight in the days leading up to it.

It is possible that you're retaining water from resuming your exercise, as your muscles need it to repair. However, you won't be building muscle unless you're brand new to lifting. It will still help if you can open your diary so we can see if there's any discrepancies in there as well.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    I'm usually a slow-starter when it comes to losing weight. I may not lose any weight in the first few weeks. But if you're doing the right things, eventually you'll see results. Just remember that it's the trend over time (long periods of time) that really counts. And I agree with whoever mentioned taking pictures, and would also suggest taking measurements. There are all sorts of things that can cause fluctuations of a few pounds, even within a day, throughout your cycle, etc. That's why I don't get too worked up about a couple of pounds here and there. What is more important to me is to look at the trends over a month, three months, six months, etc. As long as I'm trending down, I'm ok with daily fluctuations up and down.
  • You can do it. Listen to R.Wilson never give up.
  • bufffanatic
    Yeah my first week weigh in fell on the same day I started my period, so a two pound gain was no biggie. I figured I'd have dropped it after though.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Whenever I do a hard workout (I train Tae Kwon Do) I can gain upwards to 1-1.5 pounds from my muscles retaining water. Don't stop doing what you are doing; if you have been inactive for a while then your muscles are going to hold onto as much water as they can to repair. Once they get used to the new routine you should see the scale going down