Any tips for a beginner?

Hello everyone I am really new to all this I just started my weight loss journey jan15,2015 I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips it would be very helpful. Oh and feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Hey there,
    Welcome to the MFP community!

the biggest tip that I can give is stick with it even if things seem tough sometimes. This isn't an 'easy' journey but I guarantee you that it is 100% worth it!

All the very best.
    Adam
  • Thank you Adam I really appreciate that. ☺️
  • If you want to lose weight effectively you should consult a nutritionist, in my experience eating protein helps. You should also drink plenty of water and exercise because it helps tone and lose body volume.I started the diet before check in and I have lost weight 13 kilosI have experience in slimming since I went to a nutritionist and thin much but went back to eating as before and again so here I started gaining weight again, if you need help just let me know
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Keep it simple.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Buy a food scale if you do not have one already.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    - this method works. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (assuming no medical issues) if you are not losing weight then it is most likely that you are not eating at a calorie deficit. I repeat - if you follow the method, it will work.
    - Do not deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. do not think of eating them as 'failing'. as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (of course try to hit your macros, too) I repeat - you can eat anything as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit and hitting your macros.
    - slow and steady - there's no rush. do not try to lose weight too quickly. even if you succeed, you're body will burn muscle, as well as fat. losing muscle is not a good thing.
    - Most people go throw challenges or fall off the wagon. If this happens to you, don't let it get you down. Just start again. It happens to most people.
    - get a good bunch of friends who are positive and motivating.

GOOD LUCK !
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    I second a food scale, weigh and log everything. Don't restrict or "give up" anything as far as food goes. Remember that there will still be celebrations, birthdays, times out with friends etc, those days that you do indulge make sure to log your food and don't stress over it. Also, don't get down if you have a day of "bad eating," log it and move on.
    The scale doesn't always go down from day to day, the trend will though, so keep focusing on the big picture.
    Best wishes to you!
  • Food scale and once you start slowing down on weight loss, or your having trouble staying under the calorie limit, try exercising! I've just started working out 5 days a week and it means I can eat basically anything I want! Helps a lot with cravings (which I really struggle with) and not feeling hungry all the time

Good luck! I know your going to rock it!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    don't expect it to be easy or fun. maybe it will be, maybe it won't. but it will certainly be worth it !
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Welcome to the MFP community!

the biggest tip that I can give is stick with it even if things seem tough sometimes. This isn't an 'easy' journey but I guarantee you that it is 100% worth it!

All the very best.
    Adam

I second this. Also weigh and measure everything. And log everyday even the bad days.
  • damiend1985
    damiend1985 Posts: 20 Member

Welcome!

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! (I get the irony).

Let common sense prevail at all times - if something seems too good to be true then it is (i.e. drop 10lbs in a week). We all inherently know that an apple is better than a mars bar, use that common sense.

But most of all, have fun and enjoy it - find what works for you, and stick with it as a constant. Particularly enjoy falling off the wagon, we're all human!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Be stubborn. Be persistent. Be patient but don't give up.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    eat less , move more and if you can .. pick up heavy objects and then put them down

and if somebody says you might get bulky .... slap them hard
  • damiend1985
    damiend1985 Posts: 20 Member
    markie166 wrote: »
    and if somebody says you might get bulky .... slap them hard

I second this - lift the heavy object, slap the naysayers (common sense :smile: )
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    I recommend starting slowly. Choose one thing (whatever one will be the easiest for you) to change and work on that. Once that becomes comfortable to you… then pick one more thing (the next easiest). And so on and so on. And only make changes that you can live with… And I do mean LIVE with… like for the rest of your life.

And then never give up. No matter how many times you say "I give up" a day… start again that many times.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Agree. Just some helpful tips I have learned in this journey:
    (1) Buy a food scale and weigh and log everything.
    (2) Use a heart rate monitor (HRM) for your workouts and eat back your exercise calories (at least 50%)
    (3) Figure out your BMR & TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). Use sedentary and eat back HRM calories burned or set for what your activity level is. If you just want to use MFP - set for 1lb per week loss (any more than that is going to probably default to 1200 and you need more than that. Trust me)
    (4) DON'T GIVE UP! Even if you have a bad meal, day or several days restart again the next opportunity. This does work if you really want it to!

I'll send a friend request and anyone else looking for motivation and help in this lifelong journey feel free to add me!

• socunpato
    socunpato Posts: 48
    edited January 2015
    Don't see calories as the devil, they're something you need to live. Learn to eat the things you love in good measure. If you restrict yourself too much, you might fall into bad old habits once you reach your goal. Make changes that you can mantain for the rest of your life.
    And don't obsess over the result. Love your body every step of the way. If you hate it until it looks a certain way, you might never be happy with yourself. THAT is what's truly not healthy.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    I like to start slow. First I start recording everything I eat regularly for a week or so, just to get an idea of how I was doing. Then i start logging seriously, focus on hitting macros and hitting under calories. It usually take s acouple days to figure out how many calories i can reasonable eat in a day without starving. Out of the gate i was aiming for 2 lbs/week but 1500 or so calories wasn't working for me so i went to 1.5lbs per week which meant 1700 and I found i could eat and not feel deprived. I'm almost 4 weeks in on 1700 and have been losing steadily.

In the beginning i have integrated a bit more physical activity, since I was almost completely sedentary. So i park further from buildings, do some home workout videos at an intensity I can handlek, find more reasons to move at work. I found my body started to crave being more active so i joined a gym. i haven't gone yet, but am working towards that goal.

Previously I have tried to drop calories to 1300 and work out at a max intensity immediately and it was too much too fast and it made me feel awful and i couldn't stick with it. FOR ME, easing in has helped me stick with it.

Good luck! It is an individual journey, but it is propelled by support and advice from tons of people who are doing it or have done it! This is a great community filled with tons of perspectives and some good and bad advice. Take it all with a grain of sand, do your research and in the end do what works for your lifestyle, fitness level and body!

Feel free to add me if u like
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Log as accurately as possible.