Maintenance findings...4 months on :)

LivingtheLeanDream
LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
edited January 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
(I have already posted this in the blog section but as I was getting good feed back I felt I should post this in the forum too)

I thought I would document these past 4 months since I decided to switch to maintenance in mid October 2014.

* I'm still the same weight I was when I started maintaining - there are always fluctuations, due to water weight/hormones/new workout routines etc but I know my body well and am happy.

* I have a maintenance weight range, it is between 133 and 136lbs. Its more realistic than telling myself I always have to weigh xxx lbs. For my medium to large frame I feel this weight it totally acceptable. My BMI is 24 (normal). My BF is 23% (very acceptable and lean for my age group).

* When I started maintenance I ate around 1800-1900 calories a day, I was/am hungry on any less.

*After 4 weeks I upped my cals to 2000 (Dec '14), my weight fluctuated up a few lbs and then it settled back down again within a few weeks...success! :) (any time I saw the scale fluctuating up before I would have cut calories, how WRONG I was!! it just takes time for our bodies to adapt to the increase)

*After another 4 weeks or thereabouts (beginning Jan '15) I increased my cals to 2100, and again initially saw scale fluctuate up but then settle after about 2 weeks at 2100. (a few other friends who also are working on finding out their proper TDEE said to keep on eating the same cals, they were right to tell me to do that as I saw the scale fluctuate down nicely the other day :-D )

*In another 2 weeks (Feb) I will up my calories to 2200. I will expect same results BUT if not, I am happy in the knowledge that 2100 is my TDEE and I am never hungry eating at that amount. WIN WIN :)

*I have not cut back on any workouts. They are a part of my routine now, so why would I cut them back. Yes, I am very active, but it comes naturally to me to be up and moving.

*I still aim for 60 active minutes every single day. Yes even on my rest day (Sun's) I will go for an hour's walk just to get those min's done.

* I can do full push ups :)

* I can hold a plank for 3 mins :) (and more, only I get bored lol)

* I have never felt better in my life! I am fit, strong and pretty darned lean....I have muscle tone everywhere that I am very proud of.

I am 5ft 2", 45 yrs old, chest 34"/waist 26.75"/hips 35.5". I fit easily into UK size 10's apart from some smaller sized dresses when I need a size 12 to accommodate my boobs! (as much as they are diminished greatly from what I once had! much to the despair of my hubby LOL)
I have lost my measuring tape :/ but I know from my clothes that I have reduced those stats a bit more since they were taken approx 6 months ago.

My body shape continues to change and for the better :)

Ok, thats enough rambling etc, and thanks for anyone who did take the time to read it.

Have a great day MFP'ers :smile: )

Ruth

Replies

• Congrats!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Awesome tips and congrats for maintaining for four months! I love that you are active at least 60 minutes every day. It's inspiring.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Congrats!

and phew cos for a moment there I thought I'd posted this in the wrong forum and you were gonna tell me off LOL :smiley: D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2015
    He1loKitty wrote: »
    Awesome tips and congrats for maintaining for four months! I love that you are active at least 60 minutes every day. It's inspiring.

Thank you :) I enjoy it, thats why I mostly do it...plus it means I can literally stuff my face LOL
  • conangt87
    conangt87 Posts: 180 Member
    that is awesome. The reverse taper from a diet is the hardest part! You can still make progress towards fitness as well at maintenance. Now that your happy with your BF% you can eat enough to really train hard. Bravo, can't wait till I hit my reverse taper
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    conangt87 wrote: »
    that is awesome. The reverse taper from a diet is the hardest part! You can still make progress towards fitness as well at maintenance. Now that your happy with your BF% you can eat enough to really train hard. Bravo, can't wait till I hit my reverse taper

Thank You, I have to say that I am really enjoying this part of my journey, once I got over the scale fluctuation thing :smile: I still have people ask me if I'm still losing weight, which I still love, cos I'm not, its my body composition thats changing.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Thank you for the warning of the scale fluctuation! I know that would freak me out when I get to that level. :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Congrats! I am also maintaining for four months albeit using a slightly different method. I go by weekly calories. If I indulge one day I make up for it the next. Exercise is the most important part of my daily routine and keeping my weight under control.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Congrats! I am also maintaining for four months albeit using a slightly different method. I go by weekly calories. If I indulge one day I make up for it the next. Exercise is the most important part of my daily routine and keeping my weight under control.

Best of luck
    Stef.

I think most of us do this, it's the overall average that counts, heck today I've eaten 2300, but yesterday I only ate 1900. If I'm hungry I eat especially coming up to TOM! On the weekends I easily eat at 2500. It all evens out ☺
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    SKME2013 wrote: »

Best of luck
    Stef.

Same here, lol. Usually not really on purpose.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    very cool! great info too re: the couple weeks of weight fluctuation after an increase in cals. congrats to you! :smile:
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Weight is a funny game, in 11 months of maintaining, I've learnt the number on the scale doesn't always tell you everything, weight fluctuates an even bigger range when you switch, mines can go up as high or low as 10 pounds either way.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Bumping for later! I only just found this thread :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Thank You, I have to say that I am really enjoying this part of my journey, once I got over the scale fluctuation thing :smile: I still have people ask me if I'm still losing weight, which I still love, cos I'm not, its my body composition thats changing.

That's awesome!!

Looks like you have well and truly found your cutting sweet spot for your activity level! Do you not want to keep going at 2100 calories and see how lean you can get ??? Might as well experiment ??? Seeing as your not going hungry and you can live with this amount ??? Plus you have only been on 2100 for a little while. Why not give this number a chance for a couple of months before doing your reverse diet!?? Haha can you tell I'm excited about this topic! :smile:

I'll keep eating as close to 2100 as possible. Im still losing. My average was 2200 last week though. I want to get it back down to 2100. Im not seeing any signs of progress ATM on the scale but I know I'm making progress when I see obvious definition change to my arms in the mirror and people keep commenting on how they notice I'm getting thinner. I'll have my measurements taken feb 11. In the meantime I have to hold course and eventually scale will get back into the 58's again!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    @kim55555 you are the reason that I've been keeping on increasing my calories lol...I might do as you say but in this cold weather I just get hungry more so I reckon when it starts warming up I'll feel its easier to stay at 2100 then. Yesterday I ate 2400!! I just could not get filled. The thing is two days earlier I 'only' ate 1900 so it all balances out. It seems if my body gets 'under' fed one day, then the next two days its crying out to be fed all the time LOL. I'm still learning!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    excellent,informative post.
    thankyou for taking the time .
    inspiring for future maintainers.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    cw106 wrote: »
    excellent,informative post.
    thankyou for taking the time .
    inspiring for future maintainers.
    Thank you :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Love it - what a great contrast to the many people who seem a little lost at maintenance.
    Enjoying your food, enjoying your exercise and being flexible - sounds like you have nailed it. :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2015
    sijomial wrote: »

Love it - what a great contrast to the many people who seem a little lost at maintenance.
    Enjoying your food, enjoying your exercise and being flexible - sounds like you have nailed it. :smile:
    'nailed it' - I like that :) its a great feeling not having uncertainty etc and not being ruled by the scales either. Thanks for your comment :)
  • Kim55555
    @kim55555 you are the reason that I've been keeping on increasing my calories lol...I might do as you say but in this cold weather I just get hungry more so I reckon when it starts warming up I'll feel its easier to stay at 2100 then. Yesterday I ate 2400!! I just could not get filled. The thing is two days earlier I 'only' ate 1900 so it all balances out. It seems if my body gets 'under' fed one day, then the next two days its crying out to be fed all the time LOL. I'm still learning!

Haha, your appetite (metabolism) has awoken. ;)