Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Pretty simple...I gained weight in pregnancy. I don't like being bigger. I lost all the weight after my first two babies and I'm on my way to doing that after my third.
  • Couple of things but the biggest reason is I want to be a healthy role model for my nieces.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I didn't fit into my clothes anymore. I had 1 pair of jeans that I could wear & 2 pairs of dress pants that would zip, but I looked like a stuffed sausage. I was wearing dresses all the time because I was so uncomfortable in my pants. I refused to buy a larger size, so my only option was to drop the weight.

I also didn't fit into my ski pants anymore and was huffing and puffing while putting on the gear, never mind actually skiing. I love skiing. This was unacceptable.
  • chriszyogi
    chriszyogi Posts: 8 Member
    I thought the scale was broken. But truth is I really was gaining weight. The tape measure wasn't lying. Was disgusted with myself as I counsel people daily on how to eat properly.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    I had weighed in at 180 for a very, very long time, and for some reason my thought was always "at least I'm not 200 pounds" (no offense intended to those who are or were 200 pounds, I was in middle school at this point and I have no idea what my rationalization was that 180 was perfectly fine but 200 was not).

In school you have to get your weight recorded twice a year as part of your fitness exams. I stepped on the scale and it read 203. That was the day I started changing for the better.
  • rachelleigh4988
    rachelleigh4988 Posts: 42 Member
    Gaining about 10lbs in the past year and going up a pant size made me realize I had to change my habits. I'm now working to lose about 17lbs (and a pant size) and adopt a permanently healthy lifestyle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I was going to turn 46 soon and kinda had a midlife crisis.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    I have put off losing weight for a while. I was "too busy" to exercise. I gained 12 additional pounds when I helped my daughter move from Pennsylvania to California and we ate restaurant meals traveling and eating too well. Now it is time! I had a knee injury a long time ago and the extra weight has caused me more knee pain than I need! I also have moved and am looking for a new job. Need to look better for interviews.

Thanks to MyFitnessPal and all of you new companions on this journey, I am off to a good start.

70044776.png
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    I was going to be turning 29 in a couple weeks and stepped on the scale and was then over 320 lbs. Right there I decided there was no way in hell I'd be entering my 30s like that.
  • MummyStumpf
    MummyStumpf Posts: 33 Member
    I've never ever been slim. I'm 5"4 and always been around 170lbs I guess. The weight has been creeping up slowly for past 4 years since I met my now husband and I was about 190lbs. We decided to try for a baby and doctors told me I'd have trouble conceiving because of my weight. I rejoined the gym. I had always been reasonably for but was eating and drinking the calories I'd burnt. Anyway I got pregnant immediately which was great. But during appointments it quickly became clear I was a high risk pregnancy. This was news to me. I knew I wasn't stick then, but I always wasn't 400lbs and I always thought I carried it well
  • MummyStumpf
    MummyStumpf Posts: 33 Member
    That should say reasonably fit!
  • natashadenton79
    natashadenton79 Posts: 2 Member
    Walking past a mirror and noticing how small my head looked in comparison to my chest. Shook me up a bit and also I had to go up no more than 15 steps to talk to the managers at work and when I got to the top I couldn't talk to them because I was out of breath :(
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Realizing at 32 that I was only a decade younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I didn't want that to happen to me, but it was seemingly possible on my old path.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    I have always struggled with my weight and trying to be healthier... I lost 40lbs 7 years ago and gained it back plus another 20. Now I am the "fat friend" and I just feel gross. I am single and don't want to be the rest of my life because of my weight (I know, it is what is on the inside that counts). So now I am doing it to be happy, to be able to feel better, look better, and just generally be happy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mine was because my last check up I weighed in at about 2 lb over the "healthy" weight for my BMI and a friend of mine had joined Weight Watchers around the same time. It was convenient to join her in it. I'm glad I did (although I miss not caring... I also miss having a weight loss buddy now that she's pregnant).