better to run or cycle ?

2»

Replies

• lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    For anyone concerned about bone density loss (not OP I expect, but maybe others reading this thread) running is a weight-bearing activity and will therefor help strengthen your bones, and cycling is not.

Also, mixing it up may help avoid some of the over-use injuries people have mentioned, so do some of each!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Whatever float your boat!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Calories burned is about the same for me, but I ride hard and do a lot of tough rides (climbing wise). So do whichever you like better. I find each helps the other. When I'm running consistently, I ride faster and climb easier. And vice versa. Plus, as someone else said, for bone density reasons, you really should cross-train if cycling is what you do most often.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited January 2015
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    Burn more calories running, your knees will hurt less if you cycle.

It's a myth that running hurts your knees. If you cross train and use proper running form, there should be no knee issues.
    Of course, if you already have bad knees because of injury or genetics or whatever, then the above may not be true.

I run, and I attend spinning classes. I think with cycling, it depends on how to cycle. It is easy to sit on a stationary bike at a low gear and spin easily for hours without burning much. Likewise, crank up the gear and you'll get one hell of an intense workout.

The best is the exercise you enjoy doing and can commit to.
  • dbzs
    dbzs Posts: 9 Member
    Swim.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Because I abhor cycling....I say running is WAY better. :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If you want to be a runner you should run...if you want to be a cyclist, you should cycle.

Personally, I prefer cycling and I don't run anymore due to issues that tend to arise with my plantar fasciitis and posterior tibial tendinitis after running. I also enjoy swimming in the warmer months and I wish I could do some running as I always wanted to try a sprint triathlon...but it's not in the cards.

Do what you enjoy doing...that way you'll go do it.
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Thanks guys I agree with you all even the swimming suggestions. Will try to vary it and main thing to remember I have picked up is to keep the form. Will ask the question is it ok to run/cycle in the gym when it's cold tomorrow ... Feel free to call me lazy lol
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    Burn more calories running, your knees will hurt less if you cycle.

It's a myth that running hurts your knees. If you cross train and use proper running form, there should be no knee issues.
    Of course, if you already have bad knees because of injury or genetics or whatever, then the above may not be true.

A friend of mine used to complain endlessly that he cant run, or do X activity because he has no ACL left in one knee and a repaired ACL in the other.

Well the guy just ran his first full marathon after competing in a number of half marathons and triathlons up to the Half Iron distance.

Whining that running is bad for the knees is just an excuse and my friend is the proof

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    Do both... and start swimming...

And then throw them all together in one session! :smiley: Swim/Bike/Run FTW!! :smiley:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Um, do what you like, and you will enjoy, and what you will do consistently.

I like running more, but bike as cross training and when my body decides to act up because I have been neglecting my stretching/strengthening/cross training.

For me, I can burn more calories running in the same time frame. I would have to bike for much longer for the same calorie burn. I suppose if I was a more vigorous cycler I could burn more riding, but oh well.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Running for me but i have a damaged tailbone and riding a cycle is agony ( i do like to use the recumberant bike at the gym though).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Do both... and start swimming...

And then throw them all together in one session! :smiley: Swim/Bike/Run FTW!! :smiley:

That's where I was going with that :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think it is easier to burn calories running and it is a more natural movement for your legs. You work the calves more, you swing your arms, etc. But, biking is much easier on you. As others have said.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Saab_2015 wrote: »
    Rather than running is it better to cycle as long as you do the same amount of calories ?

Depends what you want to achieve.

Cycling burns about half the volume of calories by time, it's harder to get into the lactate threshold and anaerobic ranges. Subject to how you ride it can be either quad or hamstring dominant. It's lower impact.

Running is a very efficient way to burn energy, but it can be higher impact and is much more susceptible to poor form. The point upthread about harder on the joints is nonsense, but if your running form is poor then injury risk can be slightly higher.

Cycling involves a big investment in cash, and it's less adaptable to personal lifestyle like work travel and the like. Running is easy to do if you travel a lot.

Personally I predominantly run and use cycling as cross training. It's complementary and the quad/ hamstring work really helps my running a lot. Equally the running helps my cycling performance through increased aerobic capacity.

Would add that running will take longer to adjust to if you're starting from not running at all. In that case, you will likely be able to burn more cals cycling than running for a while, simply because you will be able to cycle much longer than you will be able to run without risking an overuse injury.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I say do what ever you like to do. I personally run 3 times per week and have spin classes along with cross training built in to help with my running. I enjoy running a lot so I will default to that however when training for this marathon I went on a long bike ride because my head was just into my run that day. It felt good and I was still adding endurance into my training plan.
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Thanks guys for the advice.