bananas

How are bananas good in your diet if they are high in carbs and calories?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Bananas are fine. Eat them if you like them. If you are eating in deficit, nothing will cause you weight gain.

Each banana has roughly 100 calories. Weigh your bananas in grams if you are worried about actual amount.
  • Hardenton
    Hardenton Posts: 136 Member
    They're high in potassium which helps lower blood pressure. Think of them as an alternative to potato chips
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Just because a food has high carbs and calories doesn't make it bad. If you want it, make room in your day for it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    There are no bad foods.

They contain calories, just like any other food.

Eat less calories than you use, you'll lose weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    They are good and healthy. Just bc they have a lot of calories does not mean they're bad!!
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    No fruits of veg are bad, bananas are great for a snack and really filling ;)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    I need bananas (and potatoes) to keep charley horses at bay. Plus they're good. I work them into my day.

And remember, they're only high in calories compared to other fruits/vegetables. You could have cookies for the same carbs/calories but get fewer nutrients.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2015
    The poster asked how bananas are good. At no point did they state (or even imply) that bananas are bad. Compared to some other fruit, bananas are relatively high in carbs and calories. Potassium is a plus. As is convenience, expense, taste and portability.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I eat a banana almost every day. I did it while losing, too. I thought it was so funny one day when I was visiting the nurse to have my blood pressure checked, and she told me people shouldn't eat bananas for potassium because they make you fat, you should drink orange juice. How would bananas make you fat but not juice??? Had to laugh it off, as I'd lost almost 40lb eating bananas:)
    Along with potassium, I find bananas very easy to take with me as an on-the-go snack, as well as a light breakfast to eat before a long run. Too much before a run makes me feel weighed down, but a banana works great.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

I eat them every single day and lost 121 pounds doing so!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    They are not. If you are looking for potassium, there are other sources that come with fewer calories and carbs.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Bananas are rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants - including some carbs that enhance the body's ability to absorb calcium. I'm sure you could get these features in a potato too, but you have to cook a potato. :P I like bananas because they are filling and extremely convenient. They are also versatile. Nobody is saying anyone has to eat a banana...but mmm, mmmm, I'm glad I have them to eat!
  • rosepetals4eva
    rosepetals4eva Posts: 31 Member
    Great weight loss!! Well done!! Doesn't that concern you at all about your blood pressure? Then again, if you'd km
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Bananas are rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants - including some carbs that enhance the body's ability to absorb calcium. I'm sure you could get these features in a potato too, but you have to cook a potato. :P I like bananas because they are filling and extremely convenient. They are also versatile. Nobody is saying anyone has to eat a banana...but mmm, mmmm, I'm glad I have them to eat!

Thank you wizzybeth. That' s interesting about the carbs helping to absorb calcium! Now that's something I didn't know!!! I remember mien I got weighed at the gym, the trainer page to me to eat less carbs and more protein. I conciously try to make sure i eat my 5 portions of fruit a day though and for the last week or so, in particular I have had scrambled eggs on toast and i really believe this has helped me lose 5.12lbs :-)
  • rosepetals4eva
    They are not. If you are looking for potassium, there are other sources that come with fewer calories and carbs.

How is potassium advantageous to the diet, azulvioleta6?

• rosepetals4eva
    Serah87 wrote: »

I eat them every single day and lost 121 pounds doing so!!

Well done Sarah87!!!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member

How is potassium advantageous to the diet, azulvioleta6?

Potassium isnt just advantageous, it's an essential mineral. I suggest google for more info.

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I ate 5 bananas yesterday.
  • rosepetals4eva
    Bananas then, a lot more
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

Every food that you eat is going to be high on something. The question is, what do you get in return from the food group.

Fruits in general are high in sugar. But that isn't such a bad thing. In fact, its a good thing. You get to have a sweet tooth fix and at the same time, get some decent amount of calories AND you get fiber and many other good nutrition.

So anytime you want to think "hmm, is this food worth it?" always see what you get in return. Please note that deliciousness and something to keep your cravings down with junk food is also a factor. You shouldn't sacrifice what you crave in the name of "diet". Eat everything in moderation.