Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Please don't throw tomatoes for the pun as I am in no shape to dodge them. I just spent 2 hours in the gym!

First I knocked out GBB 21

40/20 intervals (with 2x30# KBs)
- Hand release push-ups x 15/15/14
- One leg Romanian deadlift x 11/12/13
- KB alternating rows x 12/10/9

Then 4 rounds of 2min AMRAPs
- Burpee broad jumps x2
- 2KB Thrusters x3
- 2KB outside swings x4

started the first round with 30# and dropped to 20# for the last 3 because my thrusters were UGLY xD All in all I managed 11 full rounds and mostly extra burpees

Legs were shot so I did some hanging work, then moved on to bench press because I missed it. Decided to go for 3 heavy triples
115x3
120x3x3
122.5x3

I also threw in standing calf raises in between sets cuz, well, it's right by the water fountain and I had to fill my water bottle lol

Finshed the weight training with some hammer strength iso-lateral 1-arm high rows. Weird machine. Not a fan, but I did feel like my lats were kinda working
25x12
45x15
70x10
70x12

And spent 15 minutes on the elliptical playing with incline and speeds and doing some pretty intense intervals with slowish walking in between. Let's just say, 3.5mph at a 15% incline is killer on the calves

Fully detailed workout can be found here: https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/38195274/?invite_code=IJ4D4&source=share_workout&referrer=workout&share=fb442ca1

Here's to all of you guys kicking february off with some awesome stuff :)

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Squat-2x5@45, 5@95, 5@115, 5x5@135 (135 is a redo, felt heavy so want to feel comfortable before adding weight)
    Bench-5x5@70 (hard! My arms were shaking but I completed 5x5)
    Rows-5x5@75
    BB curls 10@45
    Good mornings -20@45
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Yesterday was an hectic day and I did a crappy workout. Today was much better! It was boring cardio day, but it turned out not that much boring, with some mean intervals on my elliptical (10 sec. sprint/10 recovery, 20 sprint/20 rec., 30 sprint/ 30 recovery, and so on), and then, I did a little circuit, alternating kettle bell swing (with a 20 pounds kettle bell) and burpees, same number of rep each time.

Feeling good.

Tomorrow will be Workout B, can't wait to deadlift, 'cause I love deadlift!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Coming off a rest week so had a deload

Squat 5x5 @‌ 135lbs
    Bench 5x5 @‌ 80lbs
    Row 5x5 @‌ 85lbs

Mmm chocolate now
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2015
    mmm chocolate... I mean, yay workout. Or something. Looks like we're off to a good start for the month.

Daiva - I love deadlifts too! And I never find cardio day boring because I have a nice variety of playlists to listen to (musicals were today's choice) and enough characters/stories in my head to easily keep me entertained.

Tonight was hit and miss. Squat went okay though my left hip has been bugging me the past few sessions. Then my back got cranky which messed up my OHP a little but luckily didn't bother the deadlift. Think I'm going to lower the weights on squat and work up again, plus all the moving and bending at work to put up the month & week sales tags didn't help much. OHP failed again. I seem to do a little better with lighter squats before OHP, or at least I did pretty good doing them between sets of front squats, but just can't quite get this 70 pushed out. Maybe later this month I'll get it.

Squat 5x5 @ 150 - so heavy
    OHP 1x4 @ 70, 1x4@ 65, 3x5 @ 60 - might try again next time after some rest and with a lighter squat but technically should de-load
    Deadlift 1x5 warmup @ 135, 1x5 @ 195 Almost there and oddly didn't feel as hard as 190 did so next time, going for 200.

35 minutes treadmill walking.

• Tomorrow will be Workout B, can't wait to deadlift, 'cause I love deadlift!

And @Dawn:
    I love deadlifts too!! It makes me feel like a bad*** 50-something ;-)

Today's workout:

5 minute biking warmup
    third world squat 5x8

Squat 5x5 82.5
    OHP 5x6 45
    Deadlift 1x5 120

Accessories
    Biceps Curl 3x10 35
    Triceps Extension 3x10 15
    tricep kickback 3x10 16
    Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pull 3x15

In between the accessory lifts I did more squats to practice the thumbless grip (lower weight)
    Squat 5x5 60

Ended up by stretching. Need to stretch more...
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Friday I did workout A. It went pretty well.

Squats 5x5 at 160 pounds
    Bench 5x5 at 105 pounds
    Row 5x5 at 100 pounds

Question: I've been at the 105 bench press for 4 sessions now. THe first 3, I had to take the full 3 minute rest periods between sets. This last lifting day, I took only 90 seconds (except the last set, where I took the 3 minutes). WWYD? Bump up to 110 or stick it out at 105 until it gets a bit easier? (I still kind of struggle with 105, but I'm able to get all of my sets.)

Saturday, was hot yoga. It was very much needed. I'd been having some really tight hip issues that I was getting frustrated with but trying to ignore at the same time. Hot yoga took care of them pretty good.

And yesterday, I ran 7 stinking miles. I'm working on getting my speed and endurance back up. It was kind of miserable, but I'm glad I got it done. It did throw me off for the rest of the day because I think it dehydrated me. Plus, I didn't get to take a nap afterwards, which I normally do after a long run.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Workout B for me this morning.

Warmup: 13 minutes elliptical

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 75, 5x5 @ 95 and (just for fun) 1x5 @ 100. It felt heavy, but I think I'm ready to bump to 100 pounds.

Overhead press: 5x5 @ 45. I thought I would be able to jump to 50 (I did two sets at 50 last week), but the bar felt incredibly heavy alone, so I stayed there.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115. Woah, it was hard! I will probably stay with this load for a while.

Accessories: 2x5 pull ups with assist, 60 sec. plank on the BOSU.

Stretch and foam rolling.

I started coughing and sniffing while working out, so I'm worried I may have catch the cold/flu my colleague as (we share our office, so we probably share our germs). That could explain why everything felt so hard and heavy. :(
  • krokador
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Question: I've been at the 105 bench press for 4 sessions now. THe first 3, I had to take the full 3 minute rest periods between sets. This last lifting day, I took only 90 seconds (except the last set, where I took the 3 minutes). WWYD? Bump up to 110 or stick it out at 105 until it gets a bit easier? (I still kind of struggle with 105, but I'm able to get all of my sets.)

I say move on up. So what if you get 5 sets of 3 instead of 5? You'll be building that strength up. Even if you don't get any further reps over the next 3 workouts before you deload, once you move your way back up it'll be easier.

Yeah, it's okay to stay back a bit when you're not comfortable moving ahead, but also, if you want progress, you gotta step out of that comfort zone from time to time!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    xcalygrl wrote: »

I say move on up. So what if you get 5 sets of 3 instead of 5? You'll be building that strength up. Even if you don't get any further reps over the next 3 workouts before you deload, once you move your way back up it'll be easier.

Yeah, it's okay to stay back a bit when you're not comfortable moving ahead, but also, if you want progress, you gotta step out of that comfort zone from time to time!

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's so easy for me to tell others to just bump up and see what they can do, but I struggle with telling myself the same. I have a mental block with 110 because that is where I fail and have to deload. I'm going to give it a shot on Wednesday. Thanks @krokador.
  • krokador
    edited February 2015
    @xcalygrl‌ I'm sure you have it in you :)

So what the hell, hit enter and it just posted my thing, lol. Today's workout was tough. I wasn,t in a good place mentally - tired, achy, PMS hormones acting up so I was also hungry and irritable, and I've never ever seen the gym this crowded. People (with a trainer that works at the gym) kept stepping in and stealing my spot while I was doing stretches, and my jump rope kept catching on things cuz I didn't have enough space and I hit my head on a bar and... okay, so, here's how it went. Because I went there and got s*** done anyway.

EMOTM x8 -> Power snatch to hang squat snatch with 75# on the bar. The last 2 minutes were hard. It was nice to get some oly lifting power-work in though. I've been missing it (my callouses? not so much)

Then 8 min AMRAP (7 rounds and 3 squats)
    - Kneeling jump x3 (from about 5 inches off the floor. I'm not ninja enough yet for full ninja tuck jumps xD)
    - 2DB front rack squat (25# each) x5
    - close grip push-up because the dip station was taken and someone unhooked the damn rings from the rig (even though they were in no one's way and take FOREVER to set up -_-' Seriously, today has just been trying to aggravate me so far) and i can't do bench dips cuz it kills my shoulders

5 min AMRAP of power db snatch turkish get-ups (alt sides) -> 8 per side

5 min AMRAP of, well, a mix of things because people were reserving all the space (but not actually taking it, like wtf?) and I was supposed to do bear crawls and walking lunges but it mostly ended up being cross body mountain climbers and walking lunges. I just wanted to get the eff out at that point, really.

Did some hanging and mobility work after that (yay, 11 seconds holding on to the rope. Woop! xD) and left. I am going to start going in at 6 on Mondays as if I had work. Ugh.

So yeah. Tomorrow is rest day. I'll take it.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Hi, this is my first time checking in! I started sl5x5 today, did workout A. It was... weird. I'm using a standard bar with only weighs 12lbs, I did all exercises with only the bar. Squats eye super hard for me. My shoulders were killing me to get back that far, and I probably took 30 secs between each rep just to catch my breath and get up the courage to go down again. I have this weird sort of panic mindframe when I go down into squats. I'm super worried I won't be able to get back up again. As a fat person, one of my biggest fears is falling, because when I fall, I'm so heavy I really hurt myself, and I have a bad track record with injuries. So all thoughts of form and whatever just fly out of my head, and I'm like, oh crap, I'm down, can I get back up again? I took the full three minutes between sets, more for my shoulders than for my legs.

Then I did the rows and bench press, and those were so super easy I was looking around thinking... Is that it? That's too easy. I must be doing something wrong here. Like I said, weird day.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited February 2015
    Welcome to the check in thread :)
    Do you have (or have access too) a squat rack or power rack with safety bars? If not, I highly recommend getting one. You can roll the bar behind you on to the bars and either go down on a knee, or totally ditch the bar with a bang and walk away :p The best way to get past your fear of failing a set, is to do it on purpose with little to no weight. Then, once you know what to do if you get in trouble, you aren't as scared (though maybe still a little embarrassed).
  • It might help to practice squats without any weight to ensure you can make the range of motion. Try it in front of a mirror, tweaking stance, foot placement, gaze, etc. Read up and watch videos of low bar squat. Mark Rippetoe is a great resource for this.

It sounds like 12 lbs is far too light for you for bench and row. Do you have plates to add weight? The program should start fairly easy but not so easy that you get nothing from the workout.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Then I did the rows and bench press, and those were so super easy I was looking around thinking... Is that it? That's too easy. I must be doing something wrong here. Like I said, weird day.

Congrats on day 1 and welcome to the check-in thread. :grinning:

I remember that feeling during the first week too. Plus I was all, so that's what squats are like, they aren't hard at all. But that's because growing up I avoided even trying those because knee problems and such, and the coaches let me get away with it. The waits seemed hard to get through too, between sets and I think I only did 1-2 minutes first starting. Now it feels like a long work out at times because after 11 pm with 4-5 minute rests, it just takes a while and I feel it more.

Once you get used to doing the squat with the bar it won't seem so bad, but having the safeties does help a lot. Sometimes I get that feeling too, the oh can I get back up second of panic, but I know I can just let go and the weight will be taken care of without causing much damage, just a little ruckus is all.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    I don't have a squat rack or anything, but I'm definitely going to see about building one out of all the scrap lumber I have laying around. I've done body weight squats for a couple weeks now, usually 3x5, but I admit I've only just started learning about proper form and stuff. I even tried with an old broom handle to get a feel of what the bar would be like. I think it was heavier than expected on my back, and I panicked because I didn't have hands to help me balance anymore. By the fifth set I was starting to feel a little more comfortable, so hopefully it's something that I just need to get used to. I don't know what to do about my shoulders though.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Bench Press at 70 lbs. seemed incredibly hard tonight...I completed 5 reps only for 3 of the sets..I will stay here until it gets easier.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    @xcalygrl - I agree with krok; if you can get 3x5 then that's sufficient enough to move up. P.S. I'm totally envious of your 105 working weight! ;)

I'm on Week 3 of this Wendler's cycle and today was bench for me, too!

Bench: 5@85, 3@95, 4@105lbs then 5x10 @‌ 75lbs
    1-arm bent over rows: 5x10 @‌ 40lbs

We got 19 inches of snow yesterday and into early this morning. I did some awful shoveling yesterday (it's heavy, wet snow) and this evening. My muscles are done for the day!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    First day back after the flu, so it's been over a week. Decided not to deload and just see what I could do.

Workout A tonight -- had to do things out of order, which I don't really love. But whatever.

Bench Press - 5x5 @ 80 lbs.
    - These were hard be do-able. Felt good to hit this milestone. :)

Rows - 5x5 @ 82.5 lbs.
    - Also do-able. Had a few where I could feel myself using a bit of momentum to get the bar to my chest, but overall pretty darn good.

Squats - 5x5 @ 135 lbs.
    - Oof. I definitely felt my week off on these. But completed all sets, so I'm pleased.
    - Am planning on staying at this weight for the week, then will move up 5 lbs. every week this month.
    - I have a LOT of work to do on my grip to get to a point where my wrists don't break. I tried to do a wide grip, using just the meat of my palms as per Rippetoe and couldn't even get under the bar! So, I'll be adding shoulder and arm stretches to my routine for sure.

Accessories:
    Deadlifts - 3x5 @ 135 lbs.
    - Just to play around. These felt heavier than I would have liked (especially considering my working sets are ~50 lbs. more), but still fun.

Bicep Curls / Seated Dips (alternating sets)
    Biceps: 3x12 @ 12.5 lbs. - only because I couldn't find the 15 lbs. dumbbells. Still had to grind out the last four. And oh yeah, happened to be standing next to a dude who was doing shoulder flys with a 100 lbs. dumbbell in each hand! Geez!
    Dips: 3x10 @ 105 lbs.

Finished with my hip stretching routine, as well as some shoulder stretches.

Felt AWESOMESAUCE to be back! :smiley:

xoxox,
    C.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    @crabada - the flu is awful! Glad you're feeling better!
    @Autumnfilly2005‌ - Welcome to check-in. I'm only a month in and it is weird at first! Definitely check out a bunch of the threads with videos on form. Huge help!

I did tonight's workout with the sorest glutes I've had in a long time. My gym is doing a fitness test at the beginning and end of the month. I figured why not, and did that Saturday. Well, the test was basically a HIIT workout with a ton of leg work. Foam rolling for the pain...I wasn't sure how it would impact lifting tonight, but not too bad:

Squat - 85 lbs 5x5. I think I'm chickening out a bit on progressing faster. I should probably just suck it up and add every day, yes?

OHP - For the freakin love. 45 pounds. First set felt easy. I was pleased by this. So I added 5 pounds, I failed. And that was after I hit my own nose once. Back to 45 for the remaining 3 sets.

Deadlift - 105 lb 1x5. Watched some form videos tonight, made some corrections. Felt closer to correct for sure.

Did some back extensions / assisted chin-ups and dips, and then a brisk walk for 15 minutes.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout B
    Squat 175 lbs 5x5 these felt good form wise but really really heavy. I almost had to bail on my third set but managed to push through.
    OHP 70 lbs 5/5/2/5/4 I hate OHP sooooooo much. I was in a bit of a rush so I thought the second set didn't go so bad and I only took the 90 sec rest. That was obviously a mistake. I think I might actually get these before I have to deload with enough rest between sets.
    DL 195 lbs 1x5 these were heavy but I got them all. 205 is where I always stall out though. Maybe a bit of a mental barrier for me as well.

On an kind of unrelated note, my crazy cousin Ariel tried to lift me at my wedding and then I surprised her by picking her up and hauling her around. She isn't a large woman but she isn't petite either and it looked pretty funny with me in my big fancy smancy dress.