Son (10 years old) unintentionally losing weight

13»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    G35GT wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Is there a reason there are so few carbs (no bread, rice, pasta)? What you describe sounds like a weird diet for a child, to the point that it could also be boring. I could not make such a "typical" day list for my kids, because the average week has usually variety, soup with bread one day, pasta the next, pizza on a weekend, meat cooked with vegetables one day, fish the next and so on. It sounds weird for a kid to have the same lunch and dinner everyday, and also it seems weird to not have more cooked meals.

I cook on Sundays and prep food for as long as it will last. I have two fridges in my kitchen that I stock. What I listed for him is JUST what I notice he has been eating for the past few days. I currently have salmon, catfish, sautéed chicken, sandwiches, eggs, cubed turkey and bulgogi in there along with broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, carrot sticks, cucumbers, grapes, oranges, strawberries, pineapples, and blueberries. I also have a ton of greek yogurt, waters, orange juice and gatorades. I'm sure there are other things but I can't remember all of it.

I'm not measuring food for him, I'm doing it for me but I don't control what or when they eat. There is no lock on the fridge.

When I know we will be out all day, I suggest we grab a bite somewhere and they want me to bring what we have at home. I'm not forcing these food down on them...they really seem to like it.

I know chips and other junk food will add more calories to his diet...I was just hoping for other options.

Other options are:

-making him eat more volume of these low cal foods.
    -making more calorie dense foods available and encouraging him to eat it.

Full fat milk, cheeses, butter, more bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. Maybe this means you cook an extra side dish for dinner that you will have to try to ignore if you don't want this in your diet.

The kid says he's full so he probably won't eat more volume.

I mean is a pizza or burger with fries out of the question here? You can't really make him healthier if he's already eating to his macro/micro nutrient numbers.

Pizza...he totally hates. Burger and fries he will eat. I will also try all the other suggestions. I think he would totally go for toast and butter...I might just try and butter/cheese everything.
    Mmm, grilled cheese with buttered bread.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Well I just can't imagine how an active growing child would lose weight while having his broccoli and cauliflower dinner measured out every night....maybe if you accused him of sabotaging you every time he eats anything "dirty" that would help?

</sarcasm> if that wasn't clear
  • laughtoomuch
    laughtoomuch Posts: 9 Member
    Fried chicken? BBQ chicken? Milk shakes?

He'll eat the chicken but he takes off the skin. Milk shakes no but he will drink vanilla fraps from Starbucks lol.

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    When my 10 year old was losing weight without a medical reason my pediatrician suggested carnation instant breakfast it comes in many flavors and my daughter thought it was yummy, we did that for a few months when she was involved with sports
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    chocolate milk with breakfast, ice cream for dessert, full fat cheese sticks and deli meats for snacks, ranch to dip veggies in, apples and peanut butter or apples and cheese, oatmealwith brown sugar and raisins! my kids love veggies and eat a ton. veggies are great but dont forget the nutrient dense and more caloric ones. sweet potatoe hash to go with the salmon, how about a huge bowl of brussel sprouts, broccoli and roasted peppers and i mean not just a few pieces but like 100grams + of each per serving! how about a salad with full fat dressing to go with those cucumbers and carrot sticks?

Your kids will eat a bowl of broccoli and brussel sprouts? :open_mouth:

yes thye are are abnormal. they love the stuff! i made brussel sporouts the other day. sataued them in a pan for about 15 minutes till soft, added a tablespoon of maple syrup and then dried cranberries and pecans. mixed with some gorgonzola when serving, they literally licked the plates! but dont get me wrong, they love mac and cheese and pizza too!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    sauteed them in a pan for about 15 minutes till soft, added a tablespoon of maple syrup and then dried cranberries and pecans. mixed with some gorgonzola when serving
    Completely unrelated, but that sounds amazing.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

He'll eat the chicken but he takes off the skin. Milk shakes no but he will drink vanilla fraps from Starbucks lol.

Hm, I'm beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with your son. :wink:

I'd just dip the fried chicken skin in a milkshake...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    I currently have salmon, catfish, sautéed chicken, sandwiches, eggs, cubed turkey and bulgogi in there along with broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, carrot sticks, cucumbers, grapes, oranges, strawberries, pineapples, and blueberries. I also have a ton of greek yogurt, waters, orange juice and gatorades. I'm sure there are other things but I can't remember all of it.

All this stuff is great, but not calorie dense enough for a growing child. Even your sandwiches sound a bit sad if it's just turkey and no cheese.

Buy cheese (cheese stick are great to just grab and go). Ask him if there's any kind of yogurt he likes and buys those. My kids don't like Greek yogurt but will eat other kinds. Make some chicken salad with mayo. If you don't want to buy 'junk', make homemade pudding or muffins or bread rolls (although the Kozy Shack brand is perfectly fine).

I don't understand your dinner issue though... You say he's just grabbing what you're having... Can you not make dinner for all of you, and make some extra side dishes that he could eat?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    auddii wrote: »

Hm, I'm beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with your son. :wink:

I'd just dip the fried chicken skin in a milkshake...

I've always taken the skin off chicken too. Even when I was kid. I still do, because it's disgusting. :s
  • dawnna76 wrote: »
    chocolate milk with breakfast, ice cream for dessert, full fat cheese sticks and deli meats for snacks, ranch to dip veggies in, apples and peanut butter or apples and cheese, oatmealwith brown sugar and raisins! my kids love veggies and eat a ton. veggies are great but dont forget the nutrient dense and more caloric ones. sweet potatoe hash to go with the salmon, how about a huge bowl of brussel sprouts, broccoli and roasted peppers and i mean not just a few pieces but like 100grams + of each per serving! how about a salad with full fat dressing to go with those cucumbers and carrot sticks?

Your kids will eat a bowl of broccoli and brussel sprouts? :open_mouth:

yes thye are are abnormal. they love the stuff! i made brussel sporouts the other day. sataued them in a pan for about 15 minutes till soft, added a tablespoon of maple syrup and then dried cranberries and pecans. mixed with some gorgonzola when serving, they literally licked the plates! but dont get me wrong, they love mac and cheese and pizza too!

Good for them (and you)! I love them now (esp roasted with balsamic and garlic) but hated them as a kid.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    My kids love roasted Brussel sprouts, lol. I hated them as a kid too but my mom really wasn't a good cook.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Avocado, nut butters, full fat dairy, ice cream...

yep. Caloric beverages too, like juice and milk. How about snacks? My kids have one or two snacks daily.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Sorry, but I think with a kid you have to see a doctor. It's ok to grab some info off of these boards for common health matters in adults, but it'd be pretty irresponsible for anyone here to start toying with a child's diet who is inexplicably losing weight. Please just schedule your annual checkup and run this past someone with "M.D." after their name.
  • realharlot
    realharlot Posts: 21
    edited February 2015
    First of all, kudos to you for having such a healthy home.

Secondly, I think you should take him to the doctor just to be sure.

I had major issues with weight gain when I was a kid and it was because I had undiagnosed celiac disease. It took until I turned 23 before I figured out that I had it on my own (because no doctor would take me seriously when I had vague symptoms that grew over the years). It can start out with no symptoms and become serious over time.

I also agree that maybe he isn't eating enough, but neither did I when I was younger. I wouldn't eat things that were breaded or milk products usually because they upset my digestive tract (I would feel super nauseous whenever I had them). When I was in my late teens early twenties this turned into a pseudo eating disorder, because most things have wheat in them and I simply felt better not eating.

Eventually my celiac disease ended up turning into what seemed like weight gain from consistent joint swelling/edema but for a long time I was just a tiny little thing that looked quite ill and slept way too much.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if this strikes a chord with you feel free to message me.

It's worth a check up! Best of luck to you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Sorry, but I think with a kid you have to see a doctor. It's ok to grab some info off of these boards for common health matters in adults, but it'd be pretty irresponsible for anyone here to start toying with a child's diet who is inexplicably losing weight. Please just schedule your annual checkup and run this past someone with "M.D." after their name.

She said she was also taking him to a doctor, but was also looking for other ideas. Since waiting for a doctor's appointment can take weeks, she can start implementing some of these other things in the meantime.