Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    katro111 wrote: »
    @xcalygrl - I agree with krok; if you can get 3x5 then that's sufficient enough to move up. P.S. I'm totally envious of your 105 working weight! ;)
    @‌@‌
    That's supposed to say I'm envious of your 110. Haha, stupid fat fingers + tiny phone keyboard.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    @xcalygrl - I agree with krok; if you can get 3x5 then that's sufficient enough to move up. P.S. I'm totally envious of your 105 working weight! ;)
    @‌@‌
    That's supposed to say I'm envious of your 110. Haha, stupid fat fingers + tiny phone keyboard.

:blush: Thank you @katro111. Hopefully, I'll be hitting 110 for at least 3x5 tomorrow :smile:
  • xcalygrl
    Workout B yesterday.

Squats: 5x5 at 165#. The first few reps felt really heavy, and I think I was a bit sloppy, but after that I felt good.
    OHP: 4x5 at 95#; 1x1 at 95#. First time bumping up past 90 for OHP. I was really proud of getting 4x5 done. The fifth set was just yuck. I got 1 rep, then couldn't get the weight up again. But this was a small fear that I overcame today and actually did fantastic.
    Deads: 1x5 at 195#. I was hanging out at 190 for a few sessions, so this is the first time I bumped up to 195. The first 3 of these felt really good and strong, the last 2 felt hard. But I got all the reps up and felt victorious afterwards.

Accessory work:
    deads: 10x3 at 95#.
    Arnold dumbbell press: 10x5 at 25# each hand. I had planned to do 20#s in each hand, but there was only 1-20# weight, so I had to bump up to 25. I did it, and I'm glad I was forced to bump up otherwise I would have just done 20#.
    Straight leg deads: 10x5 at 50#.
    Goblet squats: 10x5 at 35#.

Overall, a pretty kicka** workout for me yesterday :smile:
  • xcalygrl
    edited February 2015
    Workout B
    Squat 175 lbs 5x5 these felt good form wise but really really heavy. I almost had to bail on my third set but managed to push through.
    OHP 70 lbs 5/5/2/5/4 I hate OHP sooooooo much. I was in a bit of a rush so I thought the second set didn't go so bad and I only took the 90 sec rest. That was obviously a mistake. I think I might actually get these before I have to deload with enough rest between sets.
    DL 195 lbs 1x5 these were heavy but I got them all. 205 is where I always stall out though. Maybe a bit of a mental barrier for me as well.

On an kind of unrelated note, my crazy cousin Ariel tried to lift me at my wedding and then I surprised her by picking her up and hauling her around. She isn't a large woman but she isn't petite either and it looked pretty funny with me in my big fancy smancy dress.

To the bolded: try to just go up to 200 instead of 205 for a set (if you're comfortable with that). I've been bumping up my deads by only 5 pounds (instead of 10) and it's helped drastically. I kept stalling out at 190# (only getting 2-3 reps no matter how many times I tried), but since I started making my progressive overloading smaller, I've been able to get pass 190#.

And that's awesome about your cousin. I'm sure that was a sight to see :grinning:
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Today was my first February workout. I had planned to go on Sunday morning, but we got walloped with 15+ inches of snow Saturday night and Sunday, so that didn't happen. I did do quite a bit of shoveling Sunday and yesterday though, so that was a workout in itself! :smiley:

I was sore today from all the shoveling, so I deloaded my squats and OHP a bit. I repeated weight on deadlifts.

Workout B:
    Squats: 5x5@95 lbs
    OHP: 5x5@50 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5@135 lbs

Good mornings 3x10@50 lbs
    Treadmill for 45 minutes
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I've been doing SL for about a month but have been lurking in the check-in thread. Might as well jump in, right?

Did workout B:

Squats 5x5@80lbs
    OHP 5x5@50lbs (FINALLY BUSTED 50! Been failing on my last rep the last few times)
    DL: 1x5@125lbs

Added in 3x8 inverse rows (used the smith machine bar for these-good to know it's useful for something!)

And then finished off with 7min on the treadmill. I'm working on getting my cardio back after a long layoff due to knee surgery in September, so I'm adding one minute to every run after lifting, and then plan to sprinkle more running in on off days when it's finally warm here.

Also, this was my first time lifting in my Vibram FiveFingers. They may look dorktastic, but I felt like I had a lot more stability and power wearing them!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited February 2015
    I had a weird and somewhat upsetting time squatting today. The gym is still constantly busy so I was a bit overwhelmed going in today. Also, my app wouldn’t close out my last workout then it deleted it :rage:

The only squat rack open was the one with the non-adjustable safeties so I begrudgingly went to squat in there, not knowing if anything else would open up. Even with some platforms in there to increase my range of motion, I still kept banging the bar on the pins. I started worrying about it and couldn’t focus on my lifting properly. I felt uneasy warming up with 115 so I decided to stay there for a set or two. In the middle of my second set, I hit the damn pin hard, came up wobbly, and almost twisted my back and dropped the weight. Thankfully I recovered with the bar without injury but it really upset me. I started panicking which led to me having trouble breathing which led to me starting to tear up which made me even more upset… In the few minutes it took to calm myself down, the other rack opened up so I moved over.

I re-did some of my reps at 115 then did a set at 120, another at 125, and the final at 130. The 130’s were hard and my form wasn’t very good so I’m not sure what I’m going to do next time.

I did overhead press with 55 lbs. I did a 5x5 but the last set was really hard so I only counted 4. I really need to read the SS chapter on OHP immediately.

Deadlift 165 1x5 plus an extra with the opposite grip. Couldn’t do double overhand at this weight. This felt pretty heavy and I didn’t think I’d get it off the ground at first but I pushed through. Part of it might have had to do with my emotional state from earlier. Only going for 170 next time.

I finished up with some 60-lb front squats (3x8). I was going to repeat 65 but equipment and space was at a premium so I just grabbed a fixed barbell.

Anyway, it feels good to get out this melodrama. I will work on getting over it and starting fresh tomorrow.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I had a weird and somewhat upsetting time squatting today.

that sucks. i know how i feel every time i have a near miss on my bike, and it's really uncomfortable. that sudden terror-flood through your whole bloodstream does take a while to die down.

i admire you for carrying on. honestly.

• I had a weird and somewhat upsetting time squatting today.

that sucks. i know how i feel every time i have a near miss on my bike, and it's really uncomfortable. that sudden terror-flood through your whole bloodstream does take a while to die down.

Thank you for saying that. It's like you realize your mortality/that you're doing something inherently dangerous. The other rack opening helped get me back on track. Looking back, I'm glad I went on and didn't end it on a sour note like that.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member

Thank you for saying that. It's like you realize your mortality/that you're doing something inherently dangerous. The other rack opening helped get me back on track. Looking back, I'm glad I went on and didn't end it on a sour note like that.

It's so key to keep going when something like that happens. Not quite as intense, but a few years ago I was training for a half marathon and took a nasty spill in the first mile of a planned 10 miler. I tried to keep going and made it about 1/4 mile before I finally gave up and went home, and I regretted it (though I still have a scar from skinning my knee during that fall).

As long as you're not hurt, it's so much better to keep going and replace the negative with a positive...this way you're already past the worst of it, and you can hit the gym next time without any negativity floating over your head!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited February 2015

In to support what's been said: it's great that you got back on the horse right away. I got into a nasty crash on my bike about 10 years back and still have the craziest fear of going down ANY hill whatsoever now. Although, I gotta say, the bike fall was not my *only* hill adventure. There were a few on rollerskates, too (a year and some later. Probably fueled by that previous fear). Anything on wheels, going down hills, now? Yeah, you lost me, pal. Wish I'd faced it as soon as I recovered back then. I look like an idiot walking beside my bike when the hill gets too steep >_>

Oh, and now box jumps are also pretty iffy, but I'm glad I redid a few after banging up BOTH my shins within a span of a couple months. I'll be wearing shin pads next time I tackle 'em anyway, though >_>
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    @MissHolidayGolightly‌, that does sound like it was upsetting! Good for you to push through it and carry on with your workout!
  • Thank you all for the support :smile: I absolutely love lifting but it is very challenging mentally for me. I tend to exaggerate negative events in my head anyway so when I have a difficult workout, my mind turns to thoughts like, "You'll never get past this weight," or, "It will never get easier for you," or other such nonsense. I recognize these thoughts rationally as baseless and absurd but they can still get the best of me if I don't push myself through and make it better. I don't want to start dreading the next workout or, worse, developing a phobia* as @canadianlbs and @krokador so aptly brought up. It also helps to remind myself of positive things like my overall progress and the bliss I've felt after breaking a plateau to put the setback in perspective.

*I absolutely lose it if a bumblebee gets too close to me so I totally feel you about having to walk your bike
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Checking in to say I didn't workout today :-( I tweaked my lower back sometime last week and aggravated it on Saturday when I tried rows.
    Hoping to get in some cardio while my 5yo is at dance class tonight. Only 5 more weeks till day light savings and I can start jogging outside again (I get home too late and don't jog in the dark).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Yay for outside! Though I work till 10:30 pm so it's always dark after work.

I aggravated my back with squat and OHP so hoping tonight's lifting goes okay. Will lift lighter on the squats for sure.
  • MadamChick
    MadamChick Posts: 52 Member
    Failed my first workout today. OHP at 50

I am kinda sad but excited that it is hard now!
  • @MissHoliday -- Sorry you had a rough time, but as everyone else said, good for you for hanging in there and finishing strong!

As for the 130 lbs. being hard -- how many reps are you doing at the other weights? Maybe do fewer so that you're still feeling fresh when you get to your working sets? I usually do 2x5 @ 45, then 1x3 for two intermediate weights, then my 5x5 @ 135 lbs. It's enough of a warm up that I've got my form locked in, but not too much to impact the "real" work.

@Krok -- The only time I've ever broken a bone, my wrist, was falling during rollerblading. I, however, continued down the super steep, curvy hill through my neighborhood and knew something was very wrong when I thought I was going to puke at the bottom. Not sure I've been back on skates since. (Oh, and actually, I lied -- I had 7 or 8 broken toes, simultaneously -- though broke each at different times -- when I was going through my super klutzy teenager phase. Does that makes sense?)
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Apparently I'm a weakling because I couldn't squat the bar with proper form so I switched to 15 lb free weights on each shoulder. Onward and upward I suppose.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    crabada wrote: »
    @Krok -- The only time I've ever broken a bone, my wrist, was falling during rollerblading. I, however, continued down the super steep, curvy hill through my neighborhood and knew something was very wrong when I thought I was going to puke at the bottom. Not sure I've been back on skates since. (Oh, and actually, I lied -- I had 7 or 8 broken toes, simultaneously -- though broke each at different times -- when I was going through my super klutzy teenager phase. Does that makes sense?)

I've never actually broken a bone per say, despite definitely earning my krash nickname. I'm sure I've had hairline fractures, and there's a chip in my eyebrow from when I hit the pavement during that bike crash, and the bone on my right shin is bumpy, and my nose has been shifted/kicked at least thrice, to the point where it's sideways now. I've chipped teeth, sprained ankles and wrists (there's actually quite a scar tissue buildup around them ankles that I'm trying to break through with mobility stuff and a lacrosse ball) aaand dislocated my left pinky and smashed my left big toe to the point I lost the nail, had a couch dropped on my foot once... *takes a deep breath* But I'm still kickin despite it all. And slwoly getting back on my bike. With like 1-2 rides a year lol.

I guess I should consider myself lucky! I did give my roller skates away to my sister. I'll take ice skating any time over those. At least the ice and snow are slightly gentler when you fall! (And hey, no need to run home for an ice pack! lol)

Although I can't quite picture having 7-8 broken toes... How does that happen *not* at the same time O_o

@MissHoliday Bumblebees I'm actually pretty calm and collected around, as long as I see them before I hear them. They're kinda cute! lol. Now wasps and bees? And sometimes even just spiders? I'll shriek and try to run away like a little girl. And apparently I also react the same to stink bugs. They just give me the creepy crawlys. Ugh. Bugs.

Anyways, for the sake of checkin' in: I did my hip mobility and core work this morning and went for a 20 minute walk in a -25C windchill! And tomorrow will be a pizza and chocolate-fueled strength day ^^
  • 7-8 broken toes happens when you're 11-ish (?) and don't know what to do with your newly longer limbs. I constantly tripped over my own feet, stubbed my toes on everything, and kicked hidden rocks in a lake. Not fun.

As a check in: 30-35 min walk with Huck tonight. :)