50 lbs in 6 months!

PedalHound
PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
I began my journey to a healthier self and started MFP all in the same day. June 8th of this year, 1 day shy of 6 months ago. I was amazed by how easy it was to follow the numbers, create even healthier meals and actually eat regularly throughout the day! I have two young children ages 4 and almost 2 and I wasn't eating regularly although it was pretty healthy food. I eat my work out calories (after subtracting the 20 cals per 10 minutes that I'd be burning just sitting there, of course!), I eat whole foods and not processed, dyed, flavoured, artificially-sweetened ones, and I eat every 2-3 hours. I'm careful with sodium, I get lots of fibre and balance my carbs/fats/proteins thoughout the day plus I get at least 8 8oz glasses of water into me. This all ads up to having lost a healthy and steady amount of weekly weight (except for the few weeks in the fall where I plateaued due to eating too few calories - only 1200 a day) and to my AMAZEMENT I have suddenly crossed the 50lb mark in my loss. :noway: I knew it was coming, I could see the numbers, but this has struck me like nothing before. You can't fake that number. That's not water weight or those first easy 5 to 10 lbs of recently added fat that your body isn't too attached-to. It's all a success but I honestly never thought I could do it. In any other year those 6 months would have been spent lamenting my shape, wishing for the magic key, or planning on starting "tomorrow". Yay me :bigsmile:
So keep plugging away. Where might YOU be 6 months from now if you do!!

Replies

• PedalHound
    I began my journey to a healthier self and started MFP all in the same day. June 8th of this year, 1 day shy of 6 months ago. I was amazed by how easy it was to follow the numbers, create even healthier meals and actually eat regularly throughout the day! I have two young children ages 4 and almost 2 and I wasn't eating regularly although it was pretty healthy food. I eat my work out calories (after subtracting the 20 cals per 10 minutes that I'd be burning just sitting there, of course!), I eat whole foods and not processed, dyed, flavoured, artificially-sweetened ones, and I eat every 2-3 hours. I'm careful with sodium, I get lots of fibre and balance my carbs/fats/proteins thoughout the day plus I get at least 8 8oz glasses of water into me. This all ads up to having lost a healthy and steady amount of weekly weight (except for the few weeks in the fall where I plateaued due to eating too few calories - only 1200 a day) and to my AMAZEMENT I have suddenly crossed the 50lb mark in my loss. :noway: I knew it was coming, I could see the numbers, but this has struck me like nothing before. You can't fake that number. That's not water weight or those first easy 5 to 10 lbs of recently added fat that your body isn't too attached-to. It's all a success but I honestly never thought I could do it. In any other year those 6 months would have been spent lamenting my shape, wishing for the magic key, or planning on starting "tomorrow". Yay me :bigsmile:
    So keep plugging away. Where might YOU be 6 months from now if you do!!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    That's fantastic! Congratulations!! :drinker:
  • pjlim
    pjlim Posts: 7
    I believe Congrats! is in order. Way to go! I hope to follow your success.
  • Way to go!
    I looked at your before and WOW! I posted several pic of me currently so that as I get closer I can update and show my progress.
    I believe I can do this because this time it is for my health and my thought process is different than the other times in the past.
    I am looking forward to the day I can inspire other the way you just did me!:smooched:
    :heart: ~Mel
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    I love your story! Gives me hope :) Many congrats to you for your hard work. Keep it up!:flowerforyou:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Congrats!
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Awesome...congrats on all your hard work!!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey. You are an inspiration to us newcomers!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    0002013F.gif
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    You should be so proud of your accomplishment. Congratulations on a job well done. :flowerforyou:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Thank you for the last sentence of your post. To know that someone knows success is inspiring, but to have a successful someone inspire you to join them is very special.

Thanks. :wink: :wink:
  • PedalHound
    Thanks so much everyone!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    That is awesome, congratulations!!!
    You look wonderful :wink:
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    How awesome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • OMG how did you do it?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    'Atta girl!! :drinker:
  • PedalHound
    OMG how did you do it?

Well, like my first post said, I keep within my calories with whole, healthy foods (nothing artificial, only ingredients that I'd find in my own kitchen and not chemicals or additives, nothing "diet" and no refined or artificial sweeteners). I get complex carbs and protein with every meal (5 to 7 times a day), I get between 25 and 35g of fibre a day, keep my sodium under control (mine is never over 1550 but I had hypertension during my last pregnancy so I have my limit set lower since I have a physiological susceptibility to blood pressure issues). I drink 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day (and when I work out, I drink to thirst to replace the lost fluid and I don't count that in my daily water consumption because it's just putting back in what I sweat out). I get 45 to 60 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and weights 2-3 days a week plus some light exercise like walking, yoga or pilates on non-workout days. Every 6 weeks I take 7 days off of scheduled work-outs to recover fully and avoid over-training. I always eat my exercise calories but I also make sure to subtract my resting cals from that number before adding to MFP so I don't over-eat. For example, if I burn 400 calories in 60 minutes of exercise I only add 280 cals to MFP and only eat an extra 280 cals. Most people burn between 15 and 25 calories every 10 minutes just sitting still doing nothing. If you have a heart rate monitor you can check this by sitting and reading your heart rate for 30 minutes and dividing by 3. When you work out, you need to subtract that number for every 10 minutes of exercise. So 60 minutes is 6 x 20 = 120, 400 cals burned - 120 resting cals = 280. It's a really common mistake that can hold people back from loss!
    The biggest thing is not letting the set-backs keep you back! This is LIFE! REAL life. There will be parties and dinners out and drinks with friends... every day won't be a perfect day. Learning to move on from the less-than-perfect days and live a healthy, balanced lifestyle with your best nutritional choices 80% of the time is the road to success.
    And one thing I used to want to deny is that exercise is important for a lot of reasons (cardiovascular health, bone strength and so on) but it is your NUTRITION that holds the key to a trim and healthy body. I've always loved exercise. It was realizing the actual power of food that has unlocked this for me.

Good luck!!!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    That is awesome lady :flowerforyou: :drinker: WTG :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: Congrats! You are such an inspiration to me :smile:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Awesome job girlie! You've come so far! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Congrats! You rock! :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!