the skin issue

2»

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    I feel your pain. :( I have horrible loose skin already. I've lost almost 70 pounds and have at least another 60 to lose. Unfortunately, it will only get worse from here. I try to keep reminding myself that my health is more important, but it's extremely disheartening to see how I've ruined my body. I rarely look in the mirror from my shoulders down unless I'm dressed. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do. As others have said, it's mainly down to genetics. Stay hydrated and try to lose slowly. I've heard that helps somewhat, but in my experience nothing truly helps. Hate to be a debbie downer, but it is what it is.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    I was concerned for a long time. Read tons of posts. There are lots of variables: age, amount of weight lost, how long weight was carried (months? 15 years?), genetics, past conditioning - there are more.

There was a time, I thought no matter what - I would have the procedure.

The Cleveland Clinic website notes: "The best candidates are healthy individuals who have stabilized their body weight. Following bariatric surgery, weight loss generally continues for about a year and a half before stabilizing. (Of course, the duration of weight loss and number of pounds lost vary by individual.) People with co-existing conditions, such as diabetes or heart problems that are not fully under control, may not be eligible for surgery."

Long story short - I will be at goal this month. I was obese for a long time and have some medical issues. I'm not 20-40 something anymore. All things considered I am THRILLED with the weight loss and despite the "extra" skin I would do it all over in a heart beat. The pluses (I could name 100) far outweigh any negative. So, I doubt i'll have anything done - unless it was adjunct to a hernia etc.

I think it is a personal choice based upon individual situations and medical input.

Best wishes to all....

73641431.png
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I was concerned for a long time. Read tons of posts. There are lots of variables: age, amount of weight lost, how long weight was carried (months? 15 years?), genetics, past conditioning - there are more.

There was a time, I thought no matter what - I would have the procedure.

The Cleveland Clinic website notes: "The best candidates are healthy individuals who have stabilized their body weight. Following bariatric surgery, weight loss generally continues for about a year and a half before stabilizing. (Of course, the duration of weight loss and number of pounds lost vary by individual.) People with co-existing conditions, such as diabetes or heart problems that are not fully under control, may not be eligible for surgery."

Long story short - I will be at goal this month. I was obese for a long time and have some medical issues. I'm not 20-40 something anymore. All things considered I am THRILLED with the weight loss and despite the "extra" skin I would do it all over in a heart beat. The pluses (I could name 100) far outweigh any negative. So, I doubt i'll have anything done - unless it was adjunct to a hernia etc.

I think it is a personal choice based upon individual situations and medical input.

Best wishes to all....

73641431.png

interesting ...thanks for the share :)
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Here’s an article on loose skin that I found SO interesting from a woman who lost massive weight. In it, she references yet another website too:

http://inthefrontofmymind.blogspot.com/2012/01/to-answer-question-of-do-you-have-loose.html