How often do you weigh yourself when you're getting started?

Miles008
Miles008 Posts: 13 Member
I'm new here, only a couple days in, but I will admit that I felt some frustration this morning when I stepped on the scale and the number hadn't changed. I did really well yesterday with eating and gym time and I guess I was just hoping for the quick gratification of even a half pound difference. How often do you recommend checking your weight?

Replies

• mgrimes517
    mgrimes517 Posts: 16 Member
    "they" say once a week. I do Monday and Thursday mornings so I can hold myself accountable for the weekends.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    I used to check mine everyday - was so disheartening when I used to see a gain, even though i had been really good. No weigh a couple of times a week. Still see the odd gain, but it usually sorts itself out by the next time I weigh. My water weight fluctuates massively and I find even if I eat certain foods, my body will store more water - I know because my shoes and rings do not fit when this happens. Hang on in there and set your expectations realistically xx
    -
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    This question comes up frequently and there is really no right or wrong anwer, but usually I tell people it really depends on you and your personality. You can learn alot about how your own body fluctuates weighing every day (you weight will change based on what you ate and drank yesterday, how you exercised, hormonal changes for us women, and many many other reasons)

So if your weight is stressing you out, then just weight once a week and focus on being a happier healthier you reguardless of what the scale says.

If you can look at your weight every day and not freak out when it goes up a pount or two then by all means weigh every day.

My biggest piece of advice is to have a goal outside the scale as well, if you like to run set a new distance or pace goal. If your a lifter shoot for a new PR. The scale can be a fickle jerk and making progress in other areas can help carry you through when you feel like throwing the scale out the window.
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    I go once a week and usually the same time of day, so for me it's Saturday morning before anything, and sometimes I will try again on Sunday mornings if Saturdays didn't look good just to get a bit of variance.
  • Miles008
    Oh that's a good idea! Thanks! I like the idea of doing it twice a week.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    I do mine every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Whether thats right or wrong I have no idea but it seems to motivate me to get my finger out :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    If you are the type of person who is going to be upset about small daily fluctuations in your weight, then weighing daily is not going to be your thing. Your weight fluctuates greatly day to day and even in the same day.

Additionally, a hope of half a pound difference in two days is a little naive. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, so that means you would have had to create a deficit of 1750 calories in two days, which you most likely did not.

In my opinion, weighing weekly gives "happier" results (aka, you don't see all the fluctuation on the scale, just the end result)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I weighed my self daily and weekly when I first started. But then I changed it to weekly. The scale is not your friend in the beginning at least it was not for me... The scale would be up one day and down the next day... drove me insane..

After 5 weeks I then started weighing twice a month. My measurements and how my cloths feel are my key sensors..

I recommend weekly or even every two weeks.
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    I weighed my self daily and weekly when I first started. But then I changed it to weekly. The scale is not your friend in the beginning at least it was not for me... The scale would be up one day and down the next day... drove me insane..

After 5 weeks I then started weighing twice a month. My measurements and how my cloths feel are my key sensors..

I recommend weekly or even every two weeks.

I forget about that all the time! I've been at a standstill for about two months, but I know my measurements are getting smaller as my clothes are fitting more loosely so I've come to not agree with what the scale tells me lately. I'm still exercising and eating right, so I know I'm doing the right thing.

Hence, don't always listen to the scale.....it's not your friend all the time!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    I weigh myself daily, first thing when I wake up in the morning. I can't seem to help myself.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Depends on the person. I weigh daily, but can easily accept fluctuations are a part of life. If you can't, don't weigh daily. *shrug* For me seeing even a slightly lower number is inspiration, and a slightly higher number motivations.

I log my weight weekly on MFP though.
  • Miles008
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I weigh daily, but record it once a week, usually on Fridays. I understand fluctuations happen, and I don't want to be bummed out if the one day I week I happen to weigh myself is the one day my weight is higher because of those fluctuations.
  • Miles008
    That's a good p
  • Miles008
    *point
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    First month every other day, now down to twice a week.