Quaker Oat oatmeal

i eat 1 cup of unflavored one minute ready oatmeal everyday with a banana. MFP tells me it's 300 calories. Is that too much calories/carbs?

Replies

• hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Depends...what's your daily calorie budget? I eat 3/4c of dry old fashioned oatmeal cooked...no milk, no sugar, just some cinnamon and a drop of maple flavoring...
  • My budget is 2200. I only use hot water and banana
  • mama_hannick
    mama_hannick Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Misread the question, sorry!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    300 calories for breakfast is fine. I try and shoot for 450-500. Bananas add up fast too. I prefer my oatmeal with some yogurt and dried fruit, but that's me.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Seeing as I like to keep my breakfast and lunch smaller to allow for snacks + decent sized dinner, still seems fine to me. Is it keeping you satiated for at least a few hours? Are you drinking any milk or juice at breakfast?
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    I would (personally) add in some protein with a shake or some milk, or hard boiled egg, and probably only have about 1/3 or 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal.
  • mama_hannick
    mama_hannick Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Don't mind my answer. Totally misread the question. I eat 400 calories for breakfast, and I also have a 2200 calorie goal. I have oatmeal with flaxseed, dried fruit, brown sugar, and cinnamon along with a cup of coffee with 2 tbsp creamer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Dry? Cooked? How do you know it's really 300 calories and not 400 if you don't weigh it?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Mine is about 350 and it includes almond milk, banana, blueberries, pecans, brown sugar
  • I don't have a weigh machine at work. I basically pour the oatmeal in a measuring cup. Mfp tells me at 1 cup its 300. I just add hot water
  • jgnatca
    Quaker instant oatmeal is 110 cals for a packet of instant (28g or 1/8 cup). One cup of dry would be eight times that. And don't forget the banana.
  • irretrievable_
    irretrievable_ Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    1 cup of oatmeal (just plain, not instant or flavoured) is 300 calories. I eat this daily, and just put some flax meal in it (for the omega 3). It's not a lot of calories for one meal, and it should be pretty filling. I find it lasts a long time, so it's definitely not too many calories, plus oatmeal has decent amount of protein, and the fiber helps scrub your intestines. It's a pretty healthy choice.

I don't know why instant would be so calorie heavy, jgnatca; does it have sugar in it? That's really excessive for oatmeal, more like junk food at that point.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    The premeasured packets are nice because there is less guesswork but you can make your own for cheaper and you can add your own flavors to it. I like to add ground flax and ground chia (1/2tbsp each), plus a little cinnamon and tsp of honey. Some days I'll mix in diced apples or a little yogurt to mix it up.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Doesn't it say on the packet how many calories are in a serving? Don't worry about carbs. As long as you are sticking to your daily calorie allotment, that is all that matters.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Quaker instant oatmeal is 110 cals for a packet of instant (28g or 1/8 cup). One cup of dry would be eight times that. And don't forget the banana.

1 cup of dry oatmeal is not over 800 calories. Maybe that is for sugared/flavored packets?

Nutritional Info shows per 1/2 cup dry is 150 calories. Banana, depending on size, 100 to 130.

OP, 1 cup oatmeal with banana calorie total probably around 410 or so. If that fits into your daily calorie goals, great! Are you finding yourself hungry pretty soon after? If so, maybe swap half the oatmeal calories with some protein calories.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

I think the issue comes down to the way the oatmeal is cut. Quaker tends to chop the oatmeal they sell in "packets" down pretty fine, so it takes up less space and is more calorific by volume (but the same calories by weight). 28 g dry is more than 1/8 of a cup if you're using Quaker quick rolled oats from the bulk cannisters.

It's confusing, I know. Honestly, this is why it's worthwhile to weigh. I eat plain quaker rolled oats for breakfast most days and always weigh. Food scales are cheap and don't take up much space. You could always keep a spare scale in your desk at the office, if you're keeping oatmeal there too. But if you're using a packet, I'd be inclined to either trust that the packet itself was mostly weighed properly, or just add 20% to be conservative (they're allowed to mislabel by that much).
  • jgnatca
    My math is bad. I pulled up the wrong item.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    300 calories is correct for 80g (about 1 cup) of uncooked quaker instant but the banana will run you another 100-160 calories. If you're not weighing you could be off by quite a few calories on that breakfast. If you leave enough calorie head room at the end of the day it's not that important but if you are keeping your intake tight to the limit or you are eating back exercise calories you may want to invest in a small food scale. If I misunderstood your question, flush all this nonsense down the gurgler.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well I was curious and measured one cup and it gave me 90g+ three times... So closer to 340.
  • Thank you everyone for your response. I don't always have a full cup. For the most part it's 3/4. I quit those packaged ones due to high sugar content. I've grown to enjoy just plain Quaker oats with banana. That's it. The fiber does di finitely help with scrubbing your intestines.