Cauliflower and spaghetti squash

I've seen a lot of recipes lately with either of these ingredients, both of which I'm a virgin of! I am a HUGE carbie, so if these actually taste good and can replace my beloved bread/pasta/etc, please let me know and what are your recipes you use them in.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I personally like both very much (not sure how someone ends up a cauliflower virgin as it's one of the most common veggies everywhere I've lived). However, it's a travesty to both that they end up being used as substitutes for other ingredients rather than eaten for themselves. Spaghetti squash happens to be easy to make into noodles, it's how it naturally comes out, but that doesn't mean it's just fake spaghetti (which isn't bad for you anyway). And mashed or riced or fake pizza crust cauliflower is completely pointless and unappealing to me, whereas roasted cauliflower with some salt and olive oil is delicious.

Maybe this makes me a crank, but I don't care.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    sryan921 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of recipes lately with either of these ingredients, both of which I'm a virgin of! I am a HUGE carbie, so if these actually taste good and can replace my beloved bread/pasta/etc, please let me know and what are your recipes you use them in.

These are two of my favorite vegetables. I've never used cauliflower in place of pasta, I usually stir fry or roast it. But I do often prepare spaghetti squash with a sauce that I would also serve on pasta. I don't like it with marinara (some do, though), but it's great with pesto or veggies sauteed in olive and garlic, or just wth a little parmesan.

If you are a past lover an want to lower cal/carb, check out Fiber Gourmet pasta. It's half the calories and very high fiber (so lower net carbs).
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    I *loathe* raw cauliflower, but a friend made cauliflower soup with roasted cauliflower and chicken stock, and it was *amazing*. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to just try roasting the cauliflower with an olive oil drizzle.

Roasting is my preferred way of preparing spaghetti squash.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    I love cauliflower and spaghetti squash, nothing better than roasted spaghetti squash with just a touch of parmesan and garlic. Cauliflower plain doesn't do much for me but I grind it down and season then bake as a deep dish pizza crust. I also make a cauliflower casserole where I cook the cauliflower then place in a baking dish with diced ham, pineapple and cheese. I also use cauliflower with my potatoes for a mashed mixture and sprinkle in a little ranch dressing, nice and creamy and cuts down the starch from the potato.

You may also want to look into zucchini, eggplant and portobello mushrooms recipes, I use those a lot as well for their adaptability.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    I like them but they aren't really subs for me. I do make mashed cauliflower, but I've never thought to myself. "These mashed potatoes are delicious". It tastes like mashed cauliflower, which is tasty and has fewer cals than potatoes so I can eat more volume. But I agree with a PP, roasted with olive oil and salt is the yummiest
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    But I do often prepare spaghetti squash with a sauce that I would also serve on pasta. I don't like it with marinara (some do, though), but it's great with pesto or veggies sauteed in olive and garlic, or just wth a little parmesan.

I do this too, but more often do it with other roasted squashes, especially acorn or pumpkin, not sure why. I like it with a tomato, ground beef, and veggies sauce or a quick sautee of veggies in olive oil and garlic, maybe with some fresh tomatoes (at other times of year) and shrimp or other protein.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Spaghetti Squash is Awesome. I've always been a big veggie lover, but never tried it because I figured "how good could it taste?". I tried it a couple weeks ago and now I'm all like "Where have you been all my life?" Cut it in half, take out the seeds (kinda like a pumpkin at Halloween), Bake at 400 for 1hr. Take it out, let sit for 10 minutes and when it's cool enough to hold, fork out the "strands". There's THOUSANDS of great recipes out there. My favorite is using a prepared light Alfredo Sauce (Prego is my fav right now) like you would a Chicken Alfredo with Noodles. You can have a ton of Spaghetti Squash instead of a pitiful amount of noodles.
  • Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    I use both and I love them!

For cauliflower I either steam it by itself or with broccoli. Then I sprinkle pepper, herbs, and grated cheese on it. Or, I make a cauliflower smash with egg whites, cottage & cheddar cheese and chives which I use as a protein sometimes.

With spaghetti squash I also have two recipes. If I have more time and I want presentation, I make a lasagna: cut it in half, clean out the seeds, and roast it for a while. Then I layer sauce (tomato base with ground chicken), spinach, and ricotta and bake it. If I have less time and don't care how it looks (or just because it's so easy) I make spaghetti. I nuke the squash for 15-20 minutes (depending on size: and don't forget to stab it with a fork a few times first!) while I make a spaghetti sauce with ground chicken and lots of veggies. Toss them together, sprinkle some cheese on top, and voila! You can eat a huge helping of that without breaking the calorie bank as long as you don't lose yourself in the cheese.
  • Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    Actually, I've more or less manages to cut pasta out completely because I've switched to spaghetti squash... and I don't really miss it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I have never done the cauliflower as a sub for a carb, just roast it with olive oil or eat it raw. Spaghetti squash I eat like pasta, but not really as a substitute, it isn't really the same, but still delicious. Portobello mushrooms I use a lot too, I roast them and top with the toppings I would use on a pizza, again, doesn't really cure the pizza craving, I just like it.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I've made cauliflower rice before, it can be a little hit and miss.

Roasted cauliflower is AMAZING. Take one head of cauliflower, chop it up into rough pieces, and toss it with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt, pepper, and any other spices you want. Add some garlic cloves too. Pour the whole mix on a baking tray/roasting pan (or two-you want it to be one thin layer of cauliflower), bake it at 425-450. Give it a good shake every 15 minutes or so, and if you want it evenly browned on all sides give it a toss too. When the cauliflower is tender and brown around the edges it's done, and it tastes divine.

You can do the same thing to brussel sprouts, green beans, butternut squash...in fact that's what I had for dinner last night-a big mix of roasted veggies with some pancetta sprinkled on top.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    I like spaghetti squash but I can't seem to find it for less than $1.99 lb lately. And I still need at least a 4 lb one to just feed my fiancé & me. So we've been eating a lot of zucchini noodles. I also like that I can mix them with regular spaghetti so you're still able to eat a little pasta and hit that 'spot' without blowing your calories out of the water.

Tried cauliflower pizza crust, wasn't successful. Maybe if I had a pizza stone, but it was mushy. I like roasted cauliflower. Or mashed. I like mashed turnips, too. Which again, you can mix with regular potatoes to cut the cals & carbs a little.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I like both. And depending on my day, and my goals, I may make either one.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on cauliflower. I would watch.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Cauliflower fried "rice" is a favourite in my house - add it last night. mmmmmm!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash I eat like pasta, but not really as a substitute, it isn't really the same, but still delicious.

This is a good point right here. Don't expect squash (or cauliflower) to taste like pasta. It won't. But it is a good way to have a favorite pasta sauce with much less calories and carbs. Or just to eat because it's a delicious food on it's own. I often eat spaghetti squash with no sauce at all.

It can be exensive to buy, but if you have the space, it's super easy to grow and, like other winter squash, will stay good for months if properly stored.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    As a "substitute" for traditional pasta - Costco has this amazing Black Bean spaghetti. Goes AMAZING with pesto!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    To some people, squashes are terribly bitter (including to me). Nothing covers the taste. The exception is pumpkin and acorn. They're still bitter but I *like* their bitter. I have no idea.

Anyway, if you like squashes, you'll like them. I suggest eating both as what they are and just going smaller portions of the real thing, instead of thinking of them as a sub. :)
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Love spaghetti squash, not so much on the cauliflower. Tried the cauliflower pizza crust the other day. Yeah, that would keep me from eating more than one slice for sure. I am not above trying it another way. Maybe I will try to roast it and give it another go.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    As a "substitute" for traditional pasta - Costco has this amazing Black Bean spaghetti. Goes AMAZING with pesto!
    -Truth. Those bean noodles are mighty tasty.