Pancakes

Can anyone find a decent pancake recipe?

By "decent," I mean as few calories as possible and with the most natural, fewest ingredients? Even if it's not store-bought, if anyone knows a recipe to make the batter, I'm all ears.

Also, if anyone knows of an all-natural chocolate flavouring I can use to jazz them up, that would be great.

One of the food items I miss the most from my "ignorance" days. Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    I've never made pancakes with unnatural ingredients or every used unnatural chocolate or an all natural chocolate flavoring, don't even know what that is.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    I use a Nigella Lawson one or a vegan one from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, depending on what I have in the cupboard. Neither are very low in calories (though it depends on what your calorie allowance for the day is, anyway).

But I don't know what you mean by unnatural ingredients?

There are plenty of protein pancake recipes on here, I think there's a really popular thread in the recipe section with a few ideas. I personally have found them to be foul, but you may feel otherwise. They are lower in calories than the ones I usually make, but it depends if you categorise protein powder natural or not too.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    I made one recipe I found on here I think the thread was called "ultimate protein pancakes" or something like that. The recipe calls for 6oz plain greek yogurt, one egg, (well she said egg white but I used the whole egg), 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup protein powder, and 1 tsp baking soda. I also added some honey. They were really yummy! Entire recipe is about 350 cal and 45gm protein.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    I made one recipe I found on here I think the thread was called "ultimate protein pancakes" or something like that. The recipe calls for 6oz plain greek yogurt, one egg, (well she said egg white but I used the whole egg), 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup protein powder, and 1 tsp baking soda. I also added some honey. They were really yummy! Entire recipe is about 350 cal and 45gm protein.

Yep! That's the thread I was thinking of, thanks.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I tried the one where you add an egg to mashed bananas. I forget the amount of banana. It was good. I put a little powdered sugar on there.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    OP you are 38 year old male, how is that you can't fit some regular normal pancakes in your daily calories??
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I tried the one where you add an egg to mashed bananas. I forget the amount of banana. It was good. I put a little powdered sugar on there.

That's not a pancake. Sigh

I tried a recipe that was protein powder and smushed bananas. It tasted like rubbery protein powder and bananas.

I have been cooking for 17 years, I still don't know why I thought it would taste of something else.

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I've taken pancake mix, that you add water to, and mixed a scoop of protein powder into it. They were pretty good. I usually just blend 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese and 3 egg whites to make my pancakes.

The biggest problem with pancakes is the syrup. Most regular syrups have about 240 calories for a 1/4 cup. I use sugar free which reduces the calories by a lot, or I will add fruit to top them off and give them more flavor.