Sooooooo nervous.....

Hello all!

I have a confession to make....next week i'm going to the gym for the first time in years :embarassed: .

I am so nervous about going for a few factors:

1.) It's my school's gym (only way I can afford to go...for free lol). So that means all the skinny, cute people and athlete's....eeek!

2.) I haven't gone in a while and I know how out of shape I am

3.) I have no one to go with....so i'll be a sweating huffy mess alone lol

I promise I'm not whining, just needed to share my fear.

Replies

• Hello all!

I have a confession to make....next week i'm going to the gym for the first time in years :embarassed: .

I am so nervous about going for a few factors:

1.) It's my school's gym (only way I can afford to go...for free lol). So that means all the skinny, cute people and athlete's....eeek!

2.) I haven't gone in a while and I know how out of shape I am

3.) I have no one to go with....so i'll be a sweating huffy mess alone lol

I promise I'm not whining, just needed to share my fear.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    That's great! You are doing what you need to do for YOU!!! Don't worry about what everyone else is thinking...just know you are going in the right direction!:flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Thats how I felt when I went for the first time... I had some family to go with but they all went to weight training and I was alone in cardio... Actually its not that bad. Once you are into it you dont really care about being alone. And EVERYONE there is a sweaty mess so you wont be alone there haha

To my surprise there were ppl there bigger than I was working out which made me feel more comfortable.

I am not in shape. I had my HRM and even though I was going at a way slower pace then some of the other ladies (who looked like they were gonna kill themselves going so fast) I knew I was going at a good pace to burn fat for me.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    I know how you feel. I am the biggest person when I go. I try to go everyday but of course it never works out that way. I have been doing step classes for about 2 months now and I am still on just the step alone without risers yet. But there are other things that I couldnt do before that I can now do. Just stick to it and once you get into a routine you will miss the gym when you dont go.

Connie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    #1. Only skinny and cute people who wear bootie shorts and jewelry and a full face of makeup and never even break a sweat...

Oh, how I remember 'those' girls.
    Try to arrange your workout schedule so you aren't there with those crowds. I found the place was empty in the mornings.

AND GOOD JOB ON GETTING BACK TO THE GYM!!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    #1. Only skinny and cute people who wear bootie shorts and jewelry and a full face of makeup and never even break a sweat...

Oh, how I remember 'those' girls.
    Try to arrange your workout schedule so you aren't there with those crowds. I found the place was empty in the mornings.

AND GOOD JOB ON GETTING BACK TO THE GYM!!!!

I agree, the gym is usually only used by people looking for a serious work out in the mornings. The afternoon definitely has more of the dolled up girls and guys who just go there to hit on people.
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    :blushing: I know how you feel. I go to the gym at work. It is full of cops. I started going at 12:30. Most of the time there are only a few people there then. Also if you went with someone, you might not being doing the same exercise with them. I'm going today by myself. Good luck and don't worry about anyone else. Everyone there is for the same reason.:bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Hey, I know how you are feeling!! It's awkward at first!

But after awhile, I just zoned them out and focused on MYSELF. I mean, they can do their thing and look the way they do......but you deserve to be there just as much as anyone else and deserve to feel comfortable.

Just focus on what you are there to do and tune them out. I mean, you don't know them and they don't know you.........and before long they are going to notice you working hard and your body changing and they will be impressed!

Good luck! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

-Tami
  • Thank you so much everybody for the motivation and kind words :flowerforyou: I'm not even the type of person who lets what others may think of me bother me usually, obviously this is just a touchy subject lol. I'm there for me, no one else, thank you for reminding me of that :smile:
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    You're better than I am... I still can't screw up the courage to make myself go! My husband is seriously pissed that we're paying for the gym that I'm not attending... so much so that I'm not sure he'll ever let me join one again! :sad: