Shoveling?

For all you snow shovelers out there, do you log shoveling as a cardiovascular exercise?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I only log it if I shoveled a ton of snow (we've been hit by 1ft+ storms every week the past three weeks in my area), and if I was out there a while. If I feel like I just finished up a stint on the elliptical after I'm done, it gets logged. If I'm just clearing off my car and moving a bit of snow out of the way around my car and digging out a path for myself, it doesn't. I log it for a fraction of the time MFP says, though. So if I did it for 30 minutes, I will only log 10-15 minutes tops. The calorie burn is very overestimated, and I don't have HRM so I underlog to be on the safe side.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Yes I do. For these reasons: it is not daily physical activity--it's extra; it is hard work--I'm sweating and always sore the next day; I shovel both my large driveway and my neighbor's driveway.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Is there poop mixed in?
  • ElizabethAnnSz
    ElizabethAnnSz Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks everybody. And yes, sometimes there is poop in the snow. I have to shovel my dogs path.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Thanks everybody. And yes, sometimes there is poop in the snow. I have to shovel my dogs path.

Definitely counts! I get extra when I have to do my dogs business!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I shoveled the walk for one of the 3-foot snowfalls -- it was 90 minutes and over 500 calories. Believe me, it was harder than my weight routine at the gym, so you bet I logged it. Normally, my sons shovel, but now I know why they want to stuff themselves with pancakes and bacon as soon as they're finished.