What do you do at the end of the day if under cal?

I am finding that I am under my cal count at the end of the day...I am eating well, not hungry and not eating junk..

I dont know how to add more calories...

I am losing weight nicely and not complaining, but I know I should be eating more..

example today I have over 700 calories left for the day....some due to exercise that I logged...

I am not wanting to go binge or eat something just because...

not sure what to do...

(new to MFP also)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Ice cream!

Can you bump up your cals throughout the day? Add some oils, some nuts, some avocado, cheese, etc. Foods that won't neccesarily add to the volumne you're eating but will edge up your cals a bit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If it only happens on occasion, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're regularly under, add in some calorie dense foods (nuts, nut butters, dairy items, oils and butters, avocados)
  • mnewell0293
    mnewell0293 Posts: 34 Member
    Ice cream!

Can you bump up your cals throughout the day? Add some oils, some nuts, some avocado, cheese, etc. Foods that won't neccesarily add to the volumne you're eating but will edge up your cals a bit.

Thinking about ice cream actually..
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    How much per week constitutes "losing weight nicely?" What is your caloric goal per day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Peanut butter, chocolate....ohhhh
    a193t6t08r2q.jpeg
  • mnewell0293
    How much per week constitutes "losing weight nicely?" What is your caloric goal per day?

They have me at 1400 approx per day.... I am not close to that by about 200 or so each day but today in particular I am very very short...

I have lost 13 lbs since January 2nd...
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    If I've reached the end of the day and have cals left and im not hungry I just don't eat. Don't worry, you're not going to die by being under some days, even if it is by 700 on a 1400 diet. The human body is very resilient, we're designed to be able to go for decent periods with little/no food.
  • mnewell0293
    joejward95 wrote: »
    If I've reached the end of the day and have cals left and im not hungry I just don't eat. Don't worry, you're not going to die by being under some days, even if it is by 700 on a 1400 diet. The human body is very resilient, we're designed to be able to go for decent periods with little/no food.

Thanks - makes me feel better....I was going crazy thinking I will not lose if I am not close to my daily goal....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

They have me at 1400 approx per day.... I am not close to that by about 200 or so each day but today in particular I am very very short...

Awesome loss!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2015
    Plan better. Plan your meals, plan your exercise. If you know you're going to run a 10k and burn ~600 calories, factor that in to your breakfast and lunch, so you're not trying to make up a huge pile at the end of the day. Eat just a little bit more at each meal and snack.

That said, sometimes things happen. (Sometimes I forget to stop and eat lunch!) If I have a huge deficit at the end of the day, I like vanilla protein powder mixed with chocolate milk.
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    If I'm not hungry, I just don't eat. If I want dessert, I eat that.

At the end of the week, you can look at your nutrition trends, and if you're off on any one thing, you can try to work in foods high in that nutrient throughout the day.
  • joejward95
    edited February 2015
    Yeah honestly don't worry. I am 6' and 195lbs and for the next few weeks im on a 1250 diet, which I am fully aware is very low but I am doing absolutely fine and will be absolutely fine as long as I dont sustain it for months on end. I just ensure the food I do fit in there is nutrient rich.

Everyone here has been posting great advice, but sometimes we do need to remember, we're not made of glass, our body won't suddenly stop functioning if you're on low calories for a while, it happened to us thousands of years ago from time to time and we did pretty well for ourselves. We would be a pretty useless organism if we were THAT fragile.

Before people comment telling me that's too low for me, I've got a bouldering tournament in 3 weeks to have to shed as much weight as fast as possible before then to give me the best shot at winning it! Its not a long term plan
  • mnewell0293
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Awesome loss!

Thank you...honestly it's been very easy for me...I have tried "it all" and MFP is THE BEST ever...along with my working out, which is not much more than 30-45 mins per day...feeling great!
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    I would say if your not showing signs of fatigue you are probably ok. However I agree w planning out meals better. I add peanut butter to smothies or an apple to help up my calories. I try not to go under 1200 if possible. Good luck to you :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I aim for that scenario. And then this happens...

mbtcy9sh0qkc.jpg
    1.jpg 37.5K
  • joejward95
    Oh my god that looks incredible
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    If I'm low I'll eat a protein bar, or add an extra protein shake, or have desert. Unless your at a big deficit for the day (or week) I wouldn't worry about it
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    If you're not hungry don't eat. It's not a problem.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I wish I had the problem of struggling to meet my calorie goal :p:\
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I usually just leave them for a "rainy day" when I go way over my calories. I also leave them since I know I'm not 100% with my logging, so I figure the extra gives me some cushion.