I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

Replies

• hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Hiya Justintime it is short for polycystic ovary syndrome. Symptoms are a few but do include insulin resistance. And all sugars in food storing as fat. There is a lot more to this but for me I'm trying to loose weight which is extremely difficult and three times as slow. So following a no sugar no saturated fat and low carb diet is I'm hoping going to help me.
    Thanks
  • eatingforspawn
    eatingforspawn Posts: 34 Member
    I eat breakfast at 10am and dinner at 10pm. I still have the 12 hour fast going on and I eat well past 8. If you want to do the 12 hour fast, thing, choose your time to stop eating depending on when you eat breakfast. If, in your case, you eat breakfast at 8am, then 8pm is, indeed a good time for your last meal or snack of the day.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    I couldn't fast like that due to insulin problems with my bloods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Just my 2 cents worth: OP posted what this nutritionist discussed for HER. Perhaps assume that since they met and talked for 90 minutes there was discussion on the OP's needs and tendencies. OP did not say this was the new set of commandments for anyone wishing to lose weight.

This. Perhaps the no eating after 8pm is due to a blood sugar issue. Perhaps late night eating leads to late night binging. Gerd. Who knows. This advice was for THE OP. And may be good advice for THE OP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    What is PCOS?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    tqobvs9k8be3.gif
    Out of curiosity was it this dinner plate? or?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I'm going to see a nutritionalist in march.
    I'm a bit sceptical as I have PCOS and will not be happy if she fobs me off with basic nutrition advice as many have done in the past with a just eat a balanced diet crap pcos does not do balanced diets...I've read and research this condition for many a year. Although there is so much I still would like to know regarding foods and medications. So I hope she/he can help me there.

i have pcos and an underactive thyroid. just eating a balanced diet has helped me lose 165lb.

pcos doesnt require a fancy diet and im under the care of an endocrinologist, another consultant and a dietitian

the only restriction i have is on sugars because i have short gut/dumping syndrome

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    OP, good for you for taking steps in the right direction, and I wish you the best of luck.

On the topic of no snacks after 8pm, though I personally don’t care one way or the other, I wonder if the nutritionist thought of the whole intermittent fasting thing that I’ve seen around the web lately.

There are various protocols, such as eating every other day or only two days a week, but I think the most common is eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16 in a 24 hour period. I had seen some studies on how this is beneficial to encourage the body to burn fat, but I don’t recall the links or I’d share them. I also have no idea how effective it is. My general weight loss philosophy is to eat wisely, watch the macros, and exercise. Drastic (and sometimes weird) lifestyle changes are harder to follow forever, and my goals are life-long.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    snacks after 8pm has nothing to do with metabolism or weight loss..

it can be a personal preference to stop "mindless eating...."
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I'm going to see a nutritionalist in march.
    I'm a bit sceptical as I have PCOS and will not be happy if she fobs me off with basic nutrition advice as many have done in the past with a just eat a balanced diet crap pcos does not do balanced diets...I've read and research this condition for many a year. Although there is so much I still would like to know regarding foods and medications. So I hope she/he can help me there.

i have pcos and an underactive thyroid. just eating a balanced diet has helped me lose 165lb.

pcos doesnt require a fancy diet and im under the care of an endocrinologist, another consultant and a dietitian

the only restriction i have is on sugars because i have short gut/dumping syndrome

Same here (excluding the low sugars, the consultant, and the dietician LOL) with a 160 lb loss

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    chouflour wrote: »
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

Aside from the acid reflux issue - gravity helps in digestion. I'm supposed to stay upright, or better yet walk (the internal pressures created by walking help peristalsis) for an hour or two after eating.

Are you suggesting Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin and astronauts floating in space never digest any food when they travel in space/ walked on moon?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Heh, gravity helps in digestion. As in, given the choice between standing on your feet or your head after meals, generally you'll fare better with reflux on your feet. Ditto for feet vs. back, or sitting vs. lying.

Not eating after Xpm is so common because it's a popular time to snack mindlessly and overeat. We're tired, our resolve is low, we feel we deserve a reward for getting through the day, we're relaxing, the kitchen is right there... the mind has a lot of ways to justify instant gratification. The time has nothing to do with your calorie deficit UNLESS it affects your behavior, and for most of it, it does.
  • tqobvs9k8be3.gif
    Out of curiosity was it this dinner plate? or?
    Yes
  • I'm still in the 190's. I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Monday and Fridays then I do cardio right after. On Wednesdays I do aerobics.
  • I'm still in the 190's. I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Monday and Fridays then I do cardio right after. On Wednesdays I do aerobics.

Monday's **
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Aside from the acid reflux issue - gravity helps in digestion. I'm supposed to stay upright, or better yet walk (the internal pressures created by walking help peristalsis) for an hour or two after eating.

Are you suggesting Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin and astronauts floating in space never digest any food when they travel in space/ walked on moon?

That's a pretty big leap, don't you think? From "gravity helps with digestion" to "you can't digest without gravity"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP - I will say congrats to you for doing something about your situation and making a commitment to losing weight, and keeping it off. I will just say that be wary of people that give you rules about when to eat or what kind of foods to eat. Weight loss comes down to a simple formula or consume less then you are burning (calories in vs calories out) and you will lose. It does not have to be complex.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Heh, gravity helps in digestion. As in, given the choice between standing on your feet or your head after meals, generally you'll fare better with reflux on your feet. Ditto for feet vs. back, or sitting vs. lying...

I had horrendous indigestion during pregnancy and I found the above helpful - walking after food and being propped up in bed at night.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    runner475 wrote: »

That's a pretty big leap, don't you think? From "gravity helps with digestion" to "you can't digest without gravity"

I see where I went off track and derailed. Thanks.

But now I'm in a tornado of thoughts. How in the world (space) is digestion up there for these astronauts?
    Heh, gravity helps in digestion. As in, given the choice between standing on your feet or your head after meals, generally you'll fare better with reflux on your feet. Ditto for feet vs. back, or sitting vs. lying...

I had horrendous indigestion during pregnancy and I found the above helpful - walking after food and being propped up in bed at night.

+1.

I have to say I have experienced this during my pregnancy.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2015
    And it's not just on this forum where there's at least one response telling the OP to sack of whatever advice they have been given (whether it be from a palm reader on the pier to 3 separate consultant grade doctors) as a load of eld bollocks. Happens on other forums and even in real life.

But on a forum where people get into heated debates over whether the mere existence of almond milk is acceptable to their sensibilities, it's only to be expected.