What do you do at the end of the day if under cal?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Well my first thoughts were wine and ice cream...

I agree with others though that planning your day, considering how much exercise you will do and accounting for those calories earlier in the day may also help. Remember that food is fuel and there's a reason you're meant to eat back those calories.

That said, I often leave a hundred or so calories on the table during the weekdays because I like to splurge on the weekend. I look at the weekly totals and make sure I'm under that by a nominal amount.
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    If I'm within a couple hundred I leave it, assuming that my exercise calories may be a little high and my food calories a little low. If I'm way under, like I was today, I have a beer with dinner and dessert later:)
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Same thing I do every night. I go to bed ;)
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    joejward95 wrote: »
    If I've reached the end of the day and have cals left and im not hungry I just don't eat. Don't worry, you're not going to die by being under some days, even if it is by 700 on a 1400 diet. The human body is very resilient, we're designed to be able to go for decent periods with little/no food.

Thanks - makes me feel better....I was going crazy thinking I will not lose if I am not close to my daily goal....

You thought you wouldn't lose?! Dude, if that was the case then say, children in poverty wouldn't get skinny. The less calories you eat, the more you will lose. There is no 'starvation mode' where you suddenly stop losing, or worse, start GAINING because you're not eating... the calorie goal is to ensure that you're losing weight healthily, by putting in what you need to keep up good body function at the same time. If you ate 700 calories a day you would lose, you would lose fast, and because of the extreme deficit, your body is more likely to target lean muscle mass. Hence why extreme restriction based diets should be supervised by a doctor to ensure that your body isn't going to damage itself in the process.

That's why the target calorie goal. Safe weight loss travels.

If you ate 700 calories, and maybe that was for a huge meal of chicken and salad or something... I mean, 300 calories can get me a meal too big to finish if it's the right foods, or it can be a scoop of peanut butter. You're full? Well, then just go to bed. Or treat yourself, if you'd like. Neither will hurt you.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    LOL you do not need to eat all your exercise calories back as MFP usually WAY OVER estimates them. Always eat your regualr daily allottment. Some folksactually log their workouts as 1 calorie to avoid this problem.. I don't and eat back some of my exercise calories-just not all.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Some days I need to consume more to get closer to a healthy caloric intake (male so I should get but do not usually get 1800 minimum). It is so easy to hit less than 1000 net calories. The key is to add protein or fat cals to make it up. NO carbs (unless fruits and veggies).

I think knowing your BMR numbers are a good tool as well. Myfitnesspal actually has one, but I used one I found on google. This helped me find out that I was putting my body into starvation mode and I stopped losing weight.

Additionally, you may want to re-evaluate your activity level when you set your goals. I had to go back and change mine to sedentary.

Either way, I care less about my calories than my carbs and sugars. Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. Im down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    meritage4 wrote: »
    LOL you do not need to eat all your exercise calories back as MFP usually WAY OVER estimates them. Always eat your regualr daily allottment. Some folksactually log their workouts as 1 calorie to avoid this problem.. I don't and eat back some of my exercise calories-just not all.

You are right that MFP may overestimate calories and some people choose to eat back only a portion of their calories earned. Many of the people you see logging 1 cal for exercise are likely doing the TDEE method where they have accounted for an estimate of daily exercise into their caloric goals already, it is a different approach than MFP but should, if done right, should yield the same total caloric consumption and same net calorie total for the day.

OP if your exercise and activity is fairly consistent day to day you may want to consider this method and there are several calculators that can help you figure out your TDEE.

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    I tend to be short on my protein goals, so if I have a lot of extra calories and I'm hungry, I will eat some nonfat Greek yogurt. But generally, I just assume I'll make up for it with a big meal on another day (and I always do).
  • mnewell0293
    mnewell0293 Posts: 34 Member
    thanks everyone for the input...learning here still....

BTW - ended up eating a little ice cream to eat up a little of those left over.....
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Enter your exercise as 1 calorie. Everything is just an estimate anyway.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Mix cinnamon in a low fat/0 % fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries and nuts. lovely
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    joejward95 wrote: »
    If I've reached the end of the day and have cals left and im not hungry I just don't eat. Don't worry, you're not going to die by being under some days, even if it is by 700 on a 1400 diet. The human body is very resilient, we're designed to be able to go for decent periods with little/no food.

:D MFP soooo needs a nodding emoticon.

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Pizza Yum!
  • kr15ty_k
    kr15ty_k Posts: 26 Member
    I wish I had the problem of struggling to meet my calorie goal :p:\

Me too! That sounds wonderful!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    If you have eaten at least 1200 calories for the day, that is sufficient. Listen to your body. If you are not hungry, do not eat
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    I am finding that I am under my cal count at the end of the day...I am eating well, not hungry and not eating junk..
    (new to MFP also)

At this point I go to bed.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    I aim for that scenario. And then this happens...

mbtcy9sh0qkc.jpg
    um is that gelato????

• rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    when I'm under cal count, I go to bed looking forward to seeing a smaller number on the scale the next day. Don't eat just because you had a low cal day.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I just make sure I'm hitting at least 1200 cals for the day. You are probably underestimating your calories anyway.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I don't eat back exercise calories so I'm pretty much always under, and I'm fine.

If I'm hungry in the evening I'll eat an apple with peanut butter, or some natural yogurt usually, but if I'm not hungry I don't eat.