Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Deloaded on dead lifts. From 245lb. to 225 (not quite 10% but 20lb. works for me).

Going to work my way back up. I can do 225, but it is still pretty heavy feeling and the bar tears my hands up something terrible.

Squats: 172lb. (staying there for another workout) 5x5

OHP: 98 lb. some day, I'll break 100. Some day. I'll still hate OHP's, but I'll break 100.

De loading makes me feel...weak, like I'm not working hard enough, but I have to get over that s#$% and just accept that at 48, I need to listen to what my body has to say.

A year ago, 245 seemed like a HUGE number that I'd never hit. Now, I have hit it, just not for 5 reps, so I'll work on it and get back there and then blast past it.

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    I'm sure you'll be there in no time. Plus, I'm really impressed by your numbers. Good job!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    First day on the new program. I got my butt up early to go so I would beat the crowd, but I didn,t get that much sleep so I'm reporting in and will probably go take an hour nap after that haha

There's a 15 min-ish bodyweight warmup that's different from my usual, but I kinda like it so I might stick to it :)

Superset (with 60s rest in between each move) of Deadlifts
    185x10
    195x8
    205x6
    215x4

And OHP
    55x10
    65x8
    70x6
    75x4

I thought I was being conservative with the deadlifts but I actually barely ecked out the last 2 reps of each set. It had been a while since I last did any sort of volume OR heavy lifting at all. New shoes felt really stable on these tho! As for the OHP, I actually felt like I could've gone a bit heavier! I think 75x4 is actually a rep PR, so I'm really happy.

Then moved on to 4 rounds of 30s work/60s rest 2x25# DB
    - Romanian deadlift (got close to 20 per round, rofl)
    - Power cleans
    - Thrusters (these were the hardest part of this. Shoulders were tired and I had a hard time stabilizing the weights)
    - bent over rows (here too, close to 20 reps per round. yikes).

I might have to have 2 sets of DBs for those the next time around, if not 3. I can do a LOT more weight on RDLs than on anything else. Ah well.

Finished off with a 3 min AMRAP of burpee broad jumps. Did 20. I think I had a few more in me. I didn't really push myself and I regret it.

Then I spent about half an hour on that hip mobility routine and the core exercises that come with it. I might have to play around with my scheduling on these because I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze that in before work in the future. Guess I'll have to push the pace a little more. We'll see.

I decided I was going to blog about this program. as such, I might stop checkin in for the next month or so, since I'll be posting these details on the blog as well (and on fitocracy. I can only do so much logging of the same thing! lol) I'll still hang around and read your reports, though!

If anyone is interested to follow the process: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/krokador
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I didn't take time to check in yesterday, but I did some sort of circuit training for 30 minutes, and I shoveled snow for about an hour (wearing my HRM to see if it worth logging that calorie burn, turned out I burned almost 300 cals just from the shoveling, so I did log them).

Today was workout A. I think I hurted something while shoveling that stupid snow, and I felt it a lot in my back. I'm prone to back pain because I was hit by a car when I was a kid (I was peacefully cycling in the bike lane and some jerk used the bike lane instead of the road for apparently no reason... I was not hurt that much, but I felt on my back and I had lumbar sprain, so now, my back is always a little sensitive). I deloaded all the lifts and I felt weak and sad, and even if I stretched and foam rolled like crazy, my back still feels stiff and painful. Blah.

Warm up: Elliptical - 12 minutes

Squats: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 5x5 @ 95 (deloaded from 105, was supposed to do 110).

Row: 2x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 50 (deloaded from 60).

Bench press: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 55 (deloaded from 60).

Accessories

Pull ups - I was not able to complete my two sets, I did four reps instead of five
    65 plank on the BOSU

Then stretch and foam rolling.

Tight back is something I'm pretty familiar with as well. Working on my hips and core activation tends to do wonders for that. Hammering at it with stretches and foam rolling when it's stiff and sensitive doesn't seem to do much on the other hand. Some yoga moves might be helpful here, too? Up/down dog, chair, runner's lunge & crescent or warrior, the cat dog stretch, child's pose... Yoga xD
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Krokador: Nice!

Daiva: I've been at this for a while now, so the numbers are higher, but I started barely able to squat with the bar!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Had a really solid workout this morning.

2x5 @ 45lbs squats + 1x3 @ 65lbs warmup, then 5x5 @ 95lbs!
    2x5 @ 45lbs bench press warmup, then 5x5 @70lbs. This was tough so I'm repeating next time.
    5x5 @ 90lbs barbell row. Finally felt like my form was better, but in a fit of enthusiasm I pulled so hard I smacked myself in the ribs with the barbell-whoops!
    Then I did 3x8 inverse rows and a half mile on the treadmill (ran out of time to do more and had to get home).

I know it's mostly irrational, but I'm both excited and terrified to try for 100lbs on the squats next time. It just seems like such a big number to hit, and I felt fine doing the 95s so I don't fear it per se. But I had knee surgery this past september, on the same knee that I had surgery on 7 years ago. In the intervening time between the first knee injury and the second, I ran (a lot-4 1/2 marathons and more 5ks than I can remember) but I barely squatted because I just didn't have the mobility and strength in my knee. After my second knee injury, the PT I saw made me do tons of squats and lunges, and it improved things immensely, but it still blows my mind that a year ago I couldn't do a bodyweight squat without pain and I'm on the cusp of adding 100lbs.

Of course, this is all babble, and I might fail at 100s, but I feel like if I put out there why I'm excited and why they intimidate me, I'll take the mystery out of it.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Jealous of all this greatness in here! Still nursing my lower back. I seem to be ok standing, but as soon as I sit (couch, desk chair, anywhere) I tighten up. Grrr...

Hope to be back at it sooner than later :-)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Haven't been checking in regularly but haven't missed a 5x5 workout since December.

Squats: 140lbs 5x5
    OHP: 3x5 at 65lbs, 1x4 then finished with a 1x5. I actually did 5x5 on this last week but planning on staying here for at least this week.
    Deadlifts: could only do 3 reps at 170lbs so did 1x5 at 155lbs afterwards just to get some more form practice. I think it is odd that my deadlifts are stalling like crazy while my squat is still stronger every week. Can't tell why. I've been going back and forth between 160 and 170 on deadlifts since beginning of the year.

This isn't part of the workout today but I am super excited so have to share, I did my first pull up this weekend! I was just playing around at the park and decided to try a pull up just to see how far I can get, when a crazy thing happened- i actually got my chin up past the bar! So then I proceeded to do like 4 sets of like one and a half pull ups before I got too tired I couldn't do anymore. I also did a chin up thinking I might be able to to two of them since I've been told they are easier, but it actually felt harder to me than a pull up. The chin up grip pinches and really hurts my hands...

I credit this new found ability all to Stronglifts. The only pull up specific training I've done is resistance bands and negatives when I remember on the weekends, which really means I've done like a total of 3 of these sessions so I can only conclude that the strength gains on SL translated to the pull up. It is still kind of a mystery to me how I can do it though since my bench and row is only at 85lbs and 80lbs and I am having a hard time getting the full range of motion on my last reps of the rows.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member

I know it's mostly irrational, but I'm both excited and terrified to try for 100lbs on the squats next time.

I get a bit scared every time I get to a squat number that seems really big in my mind- 100lbs, 135lbs etc. but it helps me to think that a 2.5lb or 5lb increase on 95lbs is a lot less than a 5lb increase on a 45lb lift. So while going up in weight on OHP feels like a whole different lift, going up in weight on squats now does not feel that much harder.

• nancy274 wrote: »

This isn't part of the workout today but I am super excited so have to share, I did my first pull up this weekend! I was just playing around at the park and decided to try a pull up just to see how far I can get, when a crazy thing happened- i actually got my chin up past the bar! So then I proceeded to do like 4 sets of like one and a half pull ups before I got too tired I couldn't do anymore. I also did a chin up thinking I might be able to to two of them since I've been told they are easier, but it actually felt harder to me than a pull up. The chin up grip pinches and really hurts my hands...

I credit this new found ability all to Stronglifts. The only pull up specific training I've done is resistance bands and negatives when I remember on the weekends, which really means I've done like a total of 3 of these sessions so I can only conclude that the strength gains on SL translated to the pull up. It is still kind of a mystery to me how I can do it though since my bench and row is only at 85lbs and 80lbs and I am having a hard time getting the full range of motion on my last reps of the rows.

Such am awesome victory!! This is one of my goals for this year. Your post gives me hope... :-)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited February 2015
    I meant to lift yesterday but it was randomly beautiful out so I didn't want to squander it indoors.

Squat 120 5x5. Back up to 125 next time.

OHP 55 5x5. I felt fine. I started reading this chapter in Starting Strength (though I haven't posted in the Chapter 3 thread yet) so I had some things to focus on. As @canadianlbs said above, I focused on tightening my behind and pressing from my chest. It really helped.

Deadlift 135 2x5. I de-loaded 50 lbs off this lift to work on form. I was watching some deadlift videos and I didn't feel like I was deadlifting like I should be. I arbitrarily picked 135 because it has the big plates and I don't have to worry about stacking or using the rubber ones. It's also a good weight to work on form - not too easy, not too difficult. This felt good and I paid attention to movements I hadn't been. Undecided if I'll go up by 5 or 10 each workout.

Front squats 55 3x8. I did these in between my OHP sets so that's why I did 55. I also was working on hand placement and form so it helped to do a lighter load.

Rack pulls 115 12" height 3x8.

Straight-leg deads 60 3x8. I usually do 70 with these but last time I did them, I moved like the Tin Man the next day. 60 was easy though (I must've built some strength in my posterior chain!) so I'll try 70 next time.

@IzzyBooNZ‌ I did my first round of 5x5 sticking to the program without accessories besides some planks here and there and cardio. If you're a noob, I'd recommend this approach so that you don't overcomplicate things while you're learning. I started adding in certain accessories that I believe will help my main lifts. I'm not claiming to be an experienced programmer but I'm constantly reading about, discussing, and watching videos on lifting so I'm just applying what I've learned to tailor my workouts a bit for myself. Another thing about accessories I enjoy is it allows me some fun and flexibility. For the main lifts, I follow a set program and I am focused on making progression. Accessories allow me to say, "Meh I don't feel like front squatting as much today" or, "Maybe I'll try chest flys today" and it's OK.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout A
    Squat 180 lbs 5/5/5/4/4 3rd fail so deload for next time (I am actually kind of glad for a deload, squats at this volume just seem to kill me for the rest of the workout. 3x5 at least for squats might be in my near future.
    Bench 90 lbs 5/5/5/4/4 blah
    Row 90 lbs 5x5 at least these felt good and solid.

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2015
    De-loaded week of Wendler's.

Bench: 5@50, 60, 70lbs then 3x10 @‌ 75lbs
    Bent over DB rows: 3x10 @‌ 40lbs
    Inverted rows: 3x8
    Push ups: 3x8
    Bench dips 3x16
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Workout A today. Did 5 bw squats, 5 with the broomstick, and 5x5 with the empty bar. It's s little easier now, but I think I have form issues because my knees are hurting, so I'm going to video myself and see if I spot anything obvious. Bp I added 2.5 so it was 14.5 today, these still felt easy and light. 14.5 with the rows as well, practiced on aiming for my bra band, but I noticed I don't really touch ground between reps, so need to work on that. Did 14 minutes on my bike, or twice around the block. There is some slight elevation in the block, last week I could only go around once. This week I paced myself better, and was able to go twice.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I think I have form issues because my knees are hurting, so I'm going to video myself and see if I spot anything obvious.

sometimes if your squats are too quad-dependent it puts pressure on your kneecaps and you can end up hurting. try stretching or rolling the quads in the meantime to see if that brings you any relief, and if it does then think about making sure you push your bum back while you're on the way down. and then at the bottom try to think about pushing up through your posterior-chain muscles to make your hips rise, rather than straightening out by pushing down through your quads to the floor.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    pleh. i felt feeble and disconnected today and all the lineups around everything - even the broomstick - were stacked up three or four deep. plus, some guy sneezed right beside me while i was doing some extra stretching right after squats, and i could hear him making sinusy snot-sucking noises the whole rest of the time, and somehow i just suddenly didn't much want to be in the gym touching stuff that he might have touched. so i didn't.

all i did today was squats, and not very well. 2x5@45, 2x5@55, 3x5@65. and tbh that was all i felt capable of.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Today was bootcamp. We did sprints, mountain climbers, burpees, and jump squats. My ankle isn't very happy with me. I rolled it Friday but it hasn't bothered me until today.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    So much awesome happening these last couple of days! Great job, Gals!

I was feeling kind of "Meh" about the gym today, but got there and had a really good session. After last Wednesday's debacle, this was a nice change of pace.

Random side note: As you all know, I've only ever had DOMS twice, and both times were after week-long (or longer) breaks from lifting. Well, two restorative yoga classes (= very gentle, on the floor the whole time) have me feeling lots of body parts today! I wouldn't call it DOMS, but it's just crazy what different types of movement will do! I was thinking about checking out a "Back to Basics" class in the morning, but have nixed that idea for now. I'll check it out next week. :)

Workout A

Squats -- 5x5 @ 140 lbs.
    - I wasn't sure if I wanted to go up from 135 lbs, but figured I'd try it and see. These were definitely hard! Today was the first time I thought I might fail a rep or two, but I didn't.
    - Once I hit 135 lbs., I decided to stay at the same weight for the week, then bump up 5 lbs. per week rather than per session. VERY glad about this decision after today. I just don't think adding 15 lbs. per week is feasible for me anymore.
    - Definitely felt improvements with my depth today! YAY!

Bench Press -- 5/5/5/4/4 @ 82.5 lbs.
    - Did warmups at 45 lbs, then 2x5 @ 77.5 lbs. because I'm retarded at math / plates. I actually had to add plates twice in order to get to the right weight. :stuck_out_tongue:
    - I think I probably would have gotten all 5x5 if it weren't for those two "extra" sets.

Rows -- 5x5 @ 82.5 lbs.
    - I was supposed to go up to 85 lbs. today but just didn't feel like messing with the plates after bench, so just kept it the same and did these. Heavy, but fine.
    - I was thinking I would just keep rows and BP the same for ease of use, but I just remembered that I'm trying to hit 95 lbs. on rows this month, so I guess that's not going to work. Oh well.

Accessories:
    Bicep Curls / Seated dips machine (Alternating sets)
    - Bicep Curls: 3x10 @ 15 lbs.
    --- I was at failure by the end of these.
    - Seated Dips: 1x10 @ 110 lbs. (too much); 2x10 @ 105 lbs.
    --- I do these every session, so will be adding 2.5-5 lbs. per week, rather than per session.

Hip Stretch Routine
    - This is both heaven and hell. :smile:

xoxo,
    C.
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    A this morning.

Been really difficult to concentrate at it is school holidays and I have a 3,5 and 7 year old demanding attention while I am trying to do it.

Squats- 5x5 60kg (132)
    BP 35kg (77)- 3x5 and 2x4. I will need to repeat these next time again, I did this weight last time too. Had I had less distractions this morning I probably would have managed them.

Rows- 5x5 38.5kg (85). I have built platforms and think my form is getting better but I struggle to get the bar to my bra band without curling my wrists at the top. Need to keep reviewing this.

Hoping for a more peaceful work out on Thursday and patience to see me through the day!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    @Crabada, I have only gotten DOMS from 5x5 in the beginning and sometimes when I do Good mornings. But I did. 30 min. Beginner kettlebell cardio workout a couple days ago and I am still sore in my hamstrings! I hope to get my 5x5 in today.