I don't eat past...

YanmiYann
YanmiYann Posts: 33 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know a lot of people who have I don't eat past a certain time rule. I'm not one of them. But it got me thinking, is it good to have a I don't eat past a certain time rule?

If you have one. What time don't you eat past and why?

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Timing has absolutely no effect on weight loss and how the body processes calories; this is a myth. However, I like to try to stop eating after 8pm because a) having this arbitrary 'rule' helps me to stop mindlessly snacking in the evening and b) I'm motivated by my weigh-ins and find that I get better weigh-ins in the morning if the faster period has been longer (i.e my body has had more time to process and expel food/waste from my body). I also find I sleep better if I haven't eaten just before bed. These are all personal reasons though, you have to find what works for you :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I quite often will have a snack around 11pm as i come in from the gym or running around 10pm.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    I don´t eat past bedtime. I don´t like crumbs in the bed :)
    When I´m off from Work... in the afternoon and evening, that´s when I get hungry and enjoy eating. I plan my day and leave half or more of my allowed cals for dinner and evening-snacks. It Works just fine for me. I have to respect my need for food in the evening, and if I didn´t plan for it, I would overeat...every day.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I could never do this. I always eat really late. I'm rarely home before 10pm so tend to eat my dinner then. Plus the thought of being able to eat before bed makes it easier to not eat during the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I snack all evening because that's what I like

If I stopped eating at an arbritary time when would I fit in my ice cream, chocolate or crisps .. when? .. see, it just simply doesn't work B)
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    I try not to eat anything after 8pm, except on the days I finish my gym classes late. I finish work late often 9-10pm but prefer to eat a low cal ready meal at work, stops the habit of a burger on the way home!
  • FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member
    i don't have any time restrictions, don't get in from the gym until late and Im usually starving....I sometimes have tea at 9ish....and then (shock, horror) have supper too!!! :smiley:
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    FRJM wrote: »
    i don't have any time restrictions, don't get in from the gym until late and Im usually starving....I sometimes have tea at 9ish....and then (shock, horror) have supper too!!! :smiley:

Where do you put it all?? :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    YanmiYann wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who have I don't eat past a certain time rule. I'm not one of them. But it got me thinking, is it good to have a I don't eat past a certain time rule?

If you have one. What time don't you eat past and why?

no
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    There are a couple of reasons not to eat in the evening. If having an arbitrary cut-off time keeps you from going over your calorie goal, or if eating right before bed makes it harder to sleep, then those are legit reasons.

However the idea that eating at night will halt or reverse weight loss is completely incorrect, so if that's your concern don't worry about it. Your metabolism does not slow down at night and you will not automatically store fat during that time assuming you're in a deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    No rules about food timing for me. My sleep is erratic so I already do not follow an expected food schedule.
    Eat whatever time works for you as long as you are eating at a deficit.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    The thought of a bedtime snack is sometimes what convinces me to go to the gym on days I don't fancy it. I only really let myself have them if I've exercised that evening or I wake up starving, and I am a bit guilty of nibbling in the evening pointlessly when I'm actually totally full. But yesterday I had greek yogurt with raspberries and dark chocolate about half an hour before sleep, and that did it for me :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I don't eat while sleeping as it's a choking hazard
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    When I go to bed. It's impossible for me to set a rule because some nights I don't get to eat dinner before 9:30.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I know a guy (he's that guy we all know who was in great shape as a teenager so he knows all there is to know about fitness) who decided that what he needed to do to lose weight was stop eating after 8 o'clock. However, his definition of "not eating" was that he wouldn't eat anything EXCEPT popcorn and milk (which is better than a bag of oreos, I guess) because popcorn is healthy and light and because milk is liquid (thus not food, I suppose).

Well one night a group of us found ourselves at McDonald's around 10pm. He wouldn't order any food because it was after 8. Instead, he went to the gas station next door and bought a half gallon of chocolate milk. He explained to us how that he can't eat past 8 because he needs to lose weight so he'll just have the milk instead.

He proceeded to drink all 1,600 calories worth of the chocolate milk. My 600 calorie quarter pounder was delicious.

He's still as big as ever, by the way.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i like to eat early only because i used to get indigestion whilst sleeping after my night time snacking. otherwise i cant see what difference it makes what time you eat as long as you are not over eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I eat whenever I damn well please ….
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I prefer to stop eating before I fall asleep. Choking hazard, you know.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2015
    as an aside…who the hell comes up with these "rules" ..???

I keep imagining a cabal of bro scientists putting this stuff out...
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I dont (or try not to lol) eat past my calorie goal. That's about it. Haha.