Question regarding tracking exercises!

So, I'm new to using this app and was unsure of logging exercises. I was using Lose It before and it too would track my steps, but I would also log my exercise for the day. The entry for the elliptical gave me the option to choose how long and at what speed, so the calories burned seemed quite accurate. Well tonight, my steps were calculated for the day when I would have my phone on me, including during my workout on the elliptical... So I wasn't sure if really I should be logging it because it's tracking both? I need someone's input because I don't want to cheat... And also, it seems to be an inaccurate amount of calories burned... I use the machine at a moderate speed and there is no way it would have been almost 1,000 calories burned, which again seems like cheating. Someone please help! I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly so I can log everything properly in the future. Thank you!! Also, add me if you would like, I could use a good support system!!

Replies

• LuvPosh
    LuvPosh Posts: 105 Member
    The only way to accurately track calories burnt is with a HRM that has a chest strap. Only track intentional exercise, not your usual day to day routine. Your body considers walking around a normal part of your day.
  • Should I deactivate my step tracker and only track the exercise that I did then? Thanks for your help!
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    It's OK to leave your step counter on, if you remember NOT to "add" those calories back in. Just ignore what MFP says about "You've earned an additional XXX calories from exercise."

Also echoing what LovPosh said about the HRM. It's a good investment for the long haul. And, when used properly, can track not only calories burned, but cardio progress. You'll be able to see over time that you have to work harder to get your heart rate up, and that's one sign your cardio fitness is improving.
  • Thanks everyone. I will kee logging like I have then. I didn't look at the calories earned as ones I could take advantage of, so I will just have to stick to that mind frame. Means a lot!!