Slllooowwwlllyyy losing weight. Encouragement needed!

I have been lifting weights 3x a week and eating around 2,100 calories daily. I have been carb cycling, eating more carbs the night before I workout. My moods have evened out and I never feel deprived. I am 5'1". I started at 170 and am now at 167. I have been lifting weights for years now but have had a crap diet and have wrecked my metabolism. Before I started eating this way I was hardly ever hungry and when I was I would eat pizza, chips, crackers, etc.

In 45 days I have lost 3 pounds. I feel much slimmer. My fitbit fits more loosely and one pair of jeans is a little less tight.

All around me friends are losing weight like crazy! Most of my friends that are dieting have lost 5-8 pounds by now. I know what I am doing is right for me but I can't help feel that frantic urge to "diet" like they are.

Anyone have words of encouragement?

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    3 lbs in 45 days is nothing to scoff at! That's really good and it sounds like you're right on track. It might be slower than your friends who are eating low cal, but I bet you will keep your weight off as they gain all their weight back once they start eating normal calories again when they find they are too hungry to keep going. I'm sure they aren't eating 2,100 calories and losing weight. The point of EM2WL is to have a sustainable approach that you can stick with for life in order to maintain your weight once it's lost. I think it sounds like you're doing great! If you're lifting weights 3x a week and eating 2100 calories at only 5'1, it seems like your metabolism is running really well. Great job!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Great job at 3 lb in 45 days. Honestly, it's about what I'm hoping for at this point. But more importantly, the fit of your clothing is more important than the scale. I'd rather stay the same weight or gain weight and yet have clothing that fits better...and be able to eat more. Yay for you!
  • mcmomma76
    mcmomma76 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks guys! It's hard to find much encouragement because people can't get passed the fact that I am eating 2100 calories/day!
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Eating 2100 cals a day is awesome! The more you can eat and still lose fat, the better. You keep more lean muscle mass that way too. Don't get discouraged!
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Hello there, I am also 5'1"! I lose weight slowly too. I am pretty sure its because of our height. But there is an advantage to this... Its a lot more noticeable when you lose a "few" pounds. If you are taller, you have to lose more weight to notice it. That sounds about right to me, that's 0.5lbs a week approximately. That is the absolute fastest I seem to be able to lose weight! I know that it is frustrating. Week-to-week if you are only losing half a pound and your weight fluctuates daily, on some weeks it might even seem like you are not losing any weight at all. (my scale only rounds to the nearest half a pound, to make things worse!) But it pays off eventually. One year I lost only 6lbs in 5 months over the summer but a ton of people noticed it!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sounds to me like you're doing fabulously. I lost 3 lbs in about 3.5 weeks and we upped my calories again because it was too fast. You're right on target and I bet those weight lifting days are seeing great results.

I asked my trainer today if I should cut my calories back slightly this week because I can only make it to the gym for 4 days instead of 5 and he said "hell NO". He said we'll probably be upping them again next week. I've worked too hard to get here, so no back sliding...............not for any of us!

I did my first real dead lift today and worked my way up to 155 lbs and still had more in reserve. BTW I'm almost 65 years old.....................hahahaha!

Keep up the good work and ignore those friends, you'll be better off in the long run!
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
    Way to go on the loss! I'm just starting out and hearing that is reassuring. I have the same concerns when it comes to other dieters. I see how strict they are and I feel I should do the same!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I've been on MFP for almost a year and a half and what I've noticed about the friends I have here that eat at a really big deficit is that they tend to go on prolonged binges and gain back several pounds. Then they realize what they've done and go right back to the absurd restriction, stick with that for a few weeks, and then boom, they're binging again. It's just another form of yo yo dieting in my opinion.

Also, the girl before me with my trainer this morning, undereats and he's about ready to drop her because she can't keep up with the training and he's worried she's going to keel over. She looks like she's in her early 20's and isn't even over weight, more like skinny fat. Today when I came downstairs for my session she had her head down and between her knees because she thought she was going to faint. That is not a good way to exercise. :\
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    I just re-figured my numbers today after three weeks. I am averaging a little over 3/4 lb. weightloss per week. It is slow, I won't lie, but when you look at what you all got to eat in that months time frame, its a lot. As the above poster said, eating at a slightly smaller deficit and taking it slow I find that I binge a LOT less!!! My scale fluctuates daily for lots of reasons. I am learning this is how it goes, when it goes up, I look at my day and try to figure out what I can make better if I can. But most of all I am learning to trust the process!!!
  • mcmomma76
    mcmomma76 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! You guys are amazing!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2015
    mcmomma76 wrote: »
    In 45 days I have lost 3 pounds. I feel much slimmer. My fitbit fits more loosely and one pair of jeans is a little less tight.

All around me friends are losing weight like crazy! Most of my friends that are dieting have lost 5-8 pounds by now. I know what I am doing is right for me but I can't help feel that frantic urge to "diet" like they are.

What are your friends doing in the bathroom while you are standing on the scale naked!
    Kick them out of there!

Oh, they aren't, they just see you, and are jealously wondering how much weight you've really lost because they think you look even thinner and lost more than them.

Just a suggestion, if the 15% was supposed to be a bigger weight loss than
    3 lbs x 3500 / 45 days = 233 cal deficit, then your estimated TDEE is wrong.

Find your average true eating level during those 45 days, and add 233 to it. That's your calculated average TDEE with the workout you are doing.
    Now take off 15% and eat that much daily.
    If truly eating 2100 average, then TDEE is 2333.
    15% is 1983.

Perhaps here in the winter your TDEE is lower than warmer months.
    Gotta adjust.

You always want to eat appropriately for your amount of activity, that includes while in a deficit.
    If you can move down, you do. If you should move up, you do.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    mcmomma76 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! It's hard to find much encouragement because people can't get passed the fact that I am eating 2100 calories/day!

I feel the same, I had to do a friend clean out and stopped telling people what i was doing because they were quite negative :(

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Like heybales explains, your TDEE can be calculated from your own losing numbers and eating numbers. If you're happy with the rate of loss, keep it. If you'd like to accelerate it (but still within EM2WL guidelines), you could decrease intake to 1980 and still lose healthily.

Either way, you're seeing results, and your ~1/2 week loss rate is still fantastic and sustainable.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    I get upset because I thought I was losing too slowly (8lbs in 50 days) but my dietician tells me she is going to up my calories because I am losing too fast. I am trying to understand how my body works because eating more to lose weight is so illogical and yet it works.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    I get upset because I thought I was losing too slowly (8lbs in 50 days) but my dietician tells me she is going to up my calories because I am losing too fast. I am trying to understand how my body works because eating more to lose weight is so illogical and yet it works.

It really does matter why it's slow.

So many throw out that claim - slower is better - but that's because what the body forced on them because of unwise choices to eating level.

But wise choices to have it slow is a different matter - especially when transforming the body from exercise is involved.

Not hard to imagine which method lets the body change better from exercise.
  • Hi there,

I just want to add that the 3 pounds you lost in that time is most likely all or nearly all fat and hardly any if any lean mass - hence your clothes fitting better and people noticing that you look slimmer. That's really wonderful!

It is likely that you have not only maintained your lean mass (muscle, bones, organs, water, etc.) but that you have probably added to it because you are lifting weights. So, maybe you only lost 3 pounds on the scale but you may have also gained some muscle and bone density. Meaning that those 3 pounds are all fat. Way to go! Your friends who have lost 8 pounds in the same time have probably lost some fat and some muscle and some water. If they're lucky, they have lost as much fat as you, though maybe not. Even if they've lost 3 lbs fat, they've also lost 5 lbs of lean, made up of some muscle and some water. That doesn't look as impressive now, does it?

You are doing great! Enjoy being able to eat so much - you will appreciate it when you are ready for maintenance.
  • MissAnderson31
    MissAnderson31 Posts: 25 Member
    You have to know your body. Just because it's working for your friends doesn't mean it's going to work for you. You did t gain it overnight and you don't want to lose it overnight. You want a healthy weight loss. I know someone that weighed over 300 Ibs. and now is the low 200's but it wasn't a healthy weight loss. They are taking diet pills and eating healthy. It's a dangerous combination because you don't know what's in that stuff and how it will have a long-term effect on your body. This weight loss was in a matter of a few months!!!! It's way too fast!!! She's looking for a quick fix. I have take diet pills before and that weight like you wouldn't believe but as soon as I stopped, I gained back what I lose and more! Weight loss is a journey and enjoy it and not curse it. You ultimate goal and focus should be health, nutrition and permanent weight loss and the only way to achieve that is to continue to practice healthy eating habits and exercise.

You can do it!!! Don't get discouraged by others but be proud of you and love you and you will get there!!! I'm in your shoes!!! Everyone is losing weight around me too! I have made the choice to do it the right way!!!!! I'm taking it one day at a time.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    I'm feeling frustrated by losing slowly today too! I have been losing between 2-4 pounds a month. I started at 222 in August and am at 194 today. I'm 5'2", but with a heavy build. I'm frustrated because I have lost more that 25 pounds and I see my progress, but other people are just confused! My friends say I look good, but don't realize it is because I have lost weight. Strangers just see me as fat. They don't see the progress I have made! I want everyone to know how fabulous I feel! I want to buy new clothes, but I'm waiting to lose another size or two.

Anyway, I hope I am still losing a 1/2 pound a week when I'm down to 167! You are doing great! I think the slow and healthy way to lose weight is difficult in a way because it is so frustrating to wait to see progress. BUT, I'm eating sustainably and enjoying exercising, so I am working to develop patience. Slow and steady is the way!

If anyone from EM2WL wants to friend me, I'm looking for supportive friends!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    @Missanderson31 I agree with what you said, but this:
    You did t gain it overnight and you don't want to lose it overnight

If I could, like someone came and said: "Okay, you can have the weight you want overnight without any disadvantage", I would take it immediately :-D

But since we are not in wonderland you´re of course right with doing it the healthy way :-)

I also only lost 4 pounds since beginning of february - and I went 1200 calories for four weeks. Since I upped my calories, I didn´t lose anything anymore but also didn´t really gain. Weight went up around a pound but it goes up and down 1-2 pounds all the time...so I don´t get upset about that.