Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Replies

• dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    As someone pointed out elsewhere- yes- some people legit have balance issues- but most of the time it's fixable and improvable as is teaching someone how to catch the downbeat in a music- which is a skill. Most people focus on EVERYTHING else going on with dance steps- and the reality is you have to learn how to say 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1...... and then learn you step on the one with your right foot- then the two with your left- or which ever.

Totally teachable- just take time- and people get really worked up about everything else- but if they focus on the feet and slow down- you can catch it.

Secondly- yes- neurological issues can impact balance and training- but for everyone else not suffering from neurological stuff- GOOD NEWS_ you too can learn if you'll let yourself ;) Bad news is- no you don't have "no rhythm" so stop using it as an excuse. :p

While I agree that everyone can dance, I think that an individual has to find the dance that is best suited for them. I've done belly dancing, square dancing, cha-cha slides, aerobic dance, punchersize dance, zumba, and none of those made me feel comfortable. The movements were terrible, my confidence was shot. And then, on a whim, I went to a pole dancing class and viola! I'm having the best time of my life, though in the intro class I could see myself in the other women there who were discouraged and didnt sign up for future classes. We've all been there, and I just hope that they can find their thing.
  • Bexx005
    Bexx005 Posts: 31 Member
    I just did zumba in the confines of my own home, thank god. I have never felt so completely ridiculous in my life. I couldn't swing my hips or keep up with the dance moves. Everyone else was so nimble and so into it and I'm flailing around like a 24 year old geriatric looking for her medication. The only thing I can say is thank god I tried it in private before signing up for a class.
    I started zumba at my gym over a year ago and it's true I felt completely ridiculous! Like I was recklessly flailing my arms around and tripping over my own feet. But at the same time now that I have all of the routines down I feel untouchable when I kill it in class. Definitely ups the confidence :) There are zumba videos by a gym called Club FitZ and they have a lot of fun current routines you can try out at home. My favorite is Uptown Funk!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    I was terrible at step and zumba when I first started them, and I just flat refuse to do the "sexy" moves. I just adapted them to something more athletic. I don't whoop, and I glower when the instructor tells everyone to smile.

After a few months of daily classes, though, I am now kind of a rock star. Some of my instructors use me like a TA to help lead one side of the class or demonstrate high-intensity moves while they demo low-intensity.

However, I am STILL clumsy as hell. Just last month, I whacked myself in the face and sent my glasses flying across the room :) Luckily nobody stepped on them before I retrieved them. They laughed, I laughed, and we all moved on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Pole dancing.

Just to get through college, totes. lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    As someone pointed out elsewhere- yes- some people legit have balance issues- but most of the time it's fixable and improvable as is teaching someone how to catch the downbeat in a music- which is a skill. Most people focus on EVERYTHING else going on with dance steps- and the reality is you have to learn how to say 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1...... and then learn you step on the one with your right foot- then the two with your left- or which ever.

Totally teachable- just take time- and people get really worked up about everything else- but if they focus on the feet and slow down- you can catch it.

Secondly- yes- neurological issues can impact balance and training- but for everyone else not suffering from neurological stuff- GOOD NEWS_ you too can learn if you'll let yourself ;) Bad news is- no you don't have "no rhythm" so stop using it as an excuse. :p

While I agree that everyone can dance, I think that an individual has to find the dance that is best suited for them. I've done belly dancing, square dancing, cha-cha slides, aerobic dance, punchersize dance, zumba, and none of those made me feel comfortable. The movements were terrible, my confidence was shot. And then, on a whim, I went to a pole dancing class and viola! I'm having the best time of my life, though in the intro class I could see myself in the other women there who were discouraged and didnt sign up for future classes. We've all been there, and I just hope that they can find their thing.

well of course- I'm not saying everyone has to love it- and you probably won't find me square dancing- ever.... LOL (although I can do the Virginia Reel)... but just to write it off and say it's because of my body- or I have no rhythm is a cope out.

But I agree- don't do things that don't speak to you. That's just silly- life's to short to do things you absolutely hate for no reason at all. ( I support doing things you hate if it improves your life long term or over all LOL)

I was terrible at step and zumba when I first started them, and I just flat refuse to do the "sexy" moves. I just adapted them to something more athletic. I don't whoop, and I glower when the instructor tells everyone to smile.

Gee- you must be the life of ever party.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I have fallen twice at the gym ever and very recently. One was doing full cleans and when I did the front squat I fell. Second time was doing hip thrust and I fell off the bench. Both times I just laughed at myself.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    nope, never, not even in the beginning.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

Sounds like performance one would expect from a toddler who needs a nap, not an adult, eh?
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Sounds like performance one would expect from a toddler who needs a nap, not an adult, eh?

The point I meant to make there was that if something makes you feel weird, awkward, or uncomfortable, you don't have to do it. Zumba is very forgiving that way. As long as you're not smacking into other people, nobody really cares what you're doing.

I feel like an *kitten* trying to look sexy while working out, so I do something else. I find being ordered to smile incredibly annoying, so I don't. To me, the whole whooping thing is really weird and unnatural, and I am grateful that it's really rare in most of my classes. I have chronic lower back problems, so I adapt some moves to things I can do without causing injury.

When you adapt the workout to what works for you, then everybody's happy :)
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Zumba here, too. And there were mirrors everywhere, it was super fun though, I might try again someday where there are no mirrors haha.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Bexx005 wrote: »
    I just did zumba in the confines of my own home, thank god. I have never felt so completely ridiculous in my life. I couldn't swing my hips or keep up with the dance moves. Everyone else was so nimble and so into it and I'm flailing around like a 24 year old geriatric looking for her medication. The only thing I can say is thank god I tried it in private before signing up for a class.

LOL, this brightened my day. A 23 yo geriatric :smile: I would really like to try it in the confines of my own home, and, I am a 63 yo true geriatric. Everytime I walk by the Zumba kit at the store I am tempted, but then I think to myself, "do you have a clue what you would look like trying to do that"? and I walk right by without putting it in my cart.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    My trainer showed me hip thrusts using the leg extension machine, I wasn't uncomfortable when he was there, but the next session when I went to do it in my own, I was sure everyone was staring. Just maneuvering to get into position is awkward.

I would never do these at my current brotastic gym. No way

They are part of the warm up at mine (strength traing/strong man gym) for every session. No issues with them.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I was riding my bike on Chicago's lakefront trail, riding next to the deep water, maybe 5 feet away and decided to turn around...but instead of getting off my bike I thought I could just make a U-turn. Panicked when I got too close to the water, hit the brakes hard and fell over.

Another biker rode up and asked "Are you hurt? Or just embarrassed?"

We both laughed - I was fine.
  • Zumba is ridiculous. I went with a friend because she dragged me. It was so embarrassing but I went for 8 weeks because I promised I would. I felt a little part of me die every time I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Every single day. I do jumping jacks. I have about 80-90 lbs left to lose. I don't even let my kids watch me do it. I feel disgusting. But at least I can say I work out and can do jumping jacks.
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Hahahhah, I feel absolutely absurd when I do my buns and thighs of steel. No one should ever be subjected to watching me do that routine.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    I took an aerobics class once in the 80s. I haven't been to a dance/exercise class since. There are people who have 2 left feet. I have at least 5 of them.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    i do not like dance workouts because i am not coordinated. I enjoy barre, ellen barrett, tracey anderson, things like that.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    When I used to jazzercise, I felt utterly ridiculous.. until I saw that everyone else was doing the same or worst. Still. A very floppy workout if you're huge like me. -_-
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Thinking. . . thinking. . . Nope.

I don't feel ridiculous. I am ridiculous. Hence I nip it.

Nip it in the bud.