Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    Holy carp. Overhead press was SO HARD ! I just did the bar ( 20kg) and it was a struggle. Might stick to bar again next time. Did anyone else struggle with this at first?

"At first" -- aaahhahahahaha. Try, "still, with no end in sight"! :smiley: I've been stuck and going back and forth between 40/45/47.5 since mid-October. Yup. OCTOBER.

*Sigh*

With this latest de-load, I've finally taken the advice so many of you gave me, and am upping my reps. Think I'm going to work from 5x7 to 5x10, and then try 45 lbs. again.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2015
    I popped in yesterday but the cage and rack were in use. Did elliptical, cage opened up after 25 minutes, but that seemed like too far to start so I just did 40min cardio :(
    Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

ETA: team OHP suck4life!
  • Nice to see all the new faces here! And for newbies your lifts are mighty awesome!!

Warmup
    5 min bike
    third world squat 5x8

Lifts
    Squat 5x7 92.5 (1x5 @ 40, 60, 80, then working set)
    OHP 5x5 47
    DL 1x5 115

Extras
    Bicep curl 3x10 35
    tricep kickback 3x10 16
    Triceps Extension 3x10 15
    Standing Calf Raises 3x18 50
    Convict Conditioning Pullups Step 3: Jackknife Pullups 3x15

Had a weird thing happen with bar placement on my squats on Monday. I was trying to figure out high bar vs low bar and I ended up with a bruise on my shoulder. It's better today but can't let that happen again...
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Had a weird thing happen with bar placement on my squats on Monday. I was trying to figure out high bar vs low bar and I ended up with a bruise on my shoulder. It's better today but can't let that happen again...

If you try to do high bar you really can't afford to lose the upper back tightness, especially if you don't have too much in the way of traps. I have a bruise on the left side pretty much every time I squat, lol. It gets better over time.
  • krokador
    So, today was leg day. I mean, it was a full body workout, but with heavy emphasis on legs. Mostly quads, really. and a good bit of pulling, too. Front squats (4x5) and pull-ups (assisted, 4xsubmax) were the main strength moves. I did bent over barbell rows for the first time in a long time. I cannot bend very far and I'm now moving less weight than with pendlay rows o.o (I was actually tempted to do pendlay, but I figured I'd follow the program). lunges, bear crawls, push-ups and recline rows were also part of the day...

The finisher literally trashed me.
    10, 8, 6, 4, 2 for time (6 min time cap)
    - lateral hop burpees
    - sit-outs (reps PER SIDE)
    - squat jumps (good luck jumping at this point)

I got to 6 sit-outs and barely even managed to get up to stop the timer beeping before I collapsed to the floor for about 5 minutes, torn between wanting to cry, laugh, just fall asleep right there and wanting to eat ALLLLL THE THINGS (I'm having a pork tenderloin salad and protein shake for breakfast, btw).

If you wanna know in details, I'll have it posted on my blog and on my fitocracy account later today! The cut is going well so far. 3 days in. I'm going to weigh-in tomorrow AM to see where I'm at without the TOM bloat since that's my start day for the 15 in 15. Thinking sub 194!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    To everyone struggling with OHP: we've all been there! I spent MONTHS doing increased rep work just to build up to where I'm at now and I still do high rep OHP as an accessory to OHP (same with bench press). Hang in there ladies! It'll get better one day! ;)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    OHP are still pretty hard for me, I don't think I will be able to increase to 55 pounds in weeks. Seriously. It's hard. But it makes my shoulders fabulous. Hang on on those!

Forgot to check out yesterday. It was not-so-boring cardio day, but I didn't lose myself because I had a lot to do at home. I did a workout from 30 day shred and I did some yoga to help with the general stiffness.

Today was Workout B, my fav, yay! I had a short night of sleep and everything felt hard and heavy, but I managed to did it. I had so much pain in my quads when I was squatting that I almost considered to deload, but no, I completed my sets and I went on. Proud, but I can't control my funny-oh-my-god-it-hurt-so-much face while walking in heels, so watch out DOMS tomorrow.

Squats: 2x5 @45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 @ 95, 5x5 @ 105.

OHP: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 50. I stuggled a LOT on the last rep of every set. Will repeat this weight for sure.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 50, 1x5 @ 115. It's ok, but not ready to try 120.

No accessories today, I planked a little but I had no strenght and no willpower, so I crashed.

Stretch and some bruise-inducing foam rolling.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    I did my third Stronglifts workout yesterday and felt great. Still feeling like I could squat and bench a lot more (and I know I can, as I did in my past life as a college athlete ;)) but barbell row is a toughie! I do feel like I did a much better job with form last night—wider grip, and the movement felt much more natural, but I did fail on the third and fourth sets. Felt good on the last set, but not quite ready to move up.

Love this group so far!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Hi all

Welcome to all the newbies! So nice that we continue to get new friends lifting heavy!!

Lifted last night and can tell I did a good job as I woke several times last night wanting to eat the entire house!!

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @ 85lbs.
    Row 5x5 @ 90lbs.

Off to eat all the foodz!!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited February 2015
    krokador wrote: »

If you try to do high bar you really can't afford to lose the upper back tightness, especially if you don't have too much in the way of traps. I have a bruise on the left side pretty much every time I squat, lol. It gets better over time.

funny: my bruise was on the left side too!
  • Squat 125 5x5. Unsure if I'll try more sets/reps next time or if I'll try my luck at 130 again.

Bench 80 6x5. I was alone and I whimped out on trying 85 so I did an extra set at 80. I really should order some fractional plates. I'm going away this weekend so maybe I'll order some for when I return.

Row 85 5x5. They were ok but I relied on the force of movement to get them done. I will probably stay here next time. I did rows the last couple times but not this time from a slightly higher starting point, maybe 12 inches instead of 9 and it felt so much better and less awkward. I might just keep doing that unless there is a reason I shouldn't. Anyone know?

Accessories:

Split squats 50 3x8 each side
    Side bends 30 4x12 each side

Had to get back to work so I had to end my workout. Also, I worked out with my hair curled and down so I wouldn't mess it up. It's short but I still felt like a diva :agree:
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    katro111 wrote: »
    To everyone struggling with OHP: we've all been there! I spent MONTHS doing increased rep work just to build up to where I'm at now and I still do high rep OHP as an accessory to OHP (same with bench press). Hang in there ladies! It'll get better one day! ;)

yay thanks ! :lol:

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Did workout B today, still using empty bar on the squats, but I'm starting to feel like my form is getting stronger. 14.5 on the ohp and DL. Ohp felt better today after watching a couple form videos and working on getting my torso tight. Deads are super easy, I kind of feel like I'm using my back instead of my hips to get up, so I'll need to work on form there too.

I also did 14 minutes on my bike, but the chains kept coming off when I tried to shift into first, so that was not fun.

And finally, I built myself a squat rack. Right now it's just a couple uprights, but at least I can start from a standing position instead of picking up the bar every time.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Recovery run at lunch 4k at 7:29 min/km so that's alright.
    Workout B tonight
    Squats 160 lbs a deload from 180 lbs 5x5 but they felt much heavier than they should have.
    OHP 75 lbs 4/3/4/3/2 finally broke passed 70 lbs so I figured these would be much worse then I did 2x5 at 60 lbs for shiggles
    DL 205 lbs 1x2 and then 1x1 and then just because eff you deadlifts 1x1 again.

I don't know what's going on with my lower body, maybe it's because I have stuck to a deficit for almost 2 weeks (hey that's probably a record for me in the last 6 months) or if it is the running or tonight was just a piss poor night but damn I was not impressed with myself.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited February 2015
    Welcome to all the lurkers coming out of lurking!

I'm back from my trip..Didn't work out Monday night which I planned for and did my 5x5 Sunday. Ran on a broken hotel treadmill Tuesday morning and I'm home for my 5x5 tonight. Glad to be back and not having to manage calories with all restaurant meals.

Squats - Stayed at 95 lbs 5x5. I'm getting a pull in my adductor again. I'm sure it's form and heaviness-related. I'm going to stay at 95 or even do 90 next time.

OHP - #FortyFive4Life Club! I did, however, try for 8 reps. I hit between 6-8 for each set.

Deadlift - 115lbs, 1x5. These felt weird. Need to watch some more videos.

Then I did some assisted dips and decided to call it.

I downloaded Jefit to log, don't think I like it. I love the simplicity and usability of the 5x5 app, but I just need something that lets me add a few more exercises. Jefit has too many bells/whistles and the usability sucks, IMO. So I continue my hunt for a new app.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    Workout was just Meh today, and I'm going to have to figure something out on Wednesdays because the current plan to go after class may not cut it. By the time I get home, change my clothes and get out the door, I end up getting the gym between 4:30/5 PM, and it's grand central station. Maybe I could go straight from school, but that means driving from my house to campus, which is literally three blocks. Feels stupid to do that, but it would get me to the gym by about 4:05 PM, which is better. Today I waited until 9:30 PM to go, and it was still busy and the gym was infinitely more pig sty-ish than usual.

Anywho... Workout B

OHP - 5x7 @ 40 lbs.
    - Squat racks were taken, so started with OHP. Since I can't seem to progress on this lift to save my life, I'm trying higher reps for a little while. Did 5x7 tonight -- they were fairly easy, so that's good. I will do 5x8 next time, then 5x9, until I get to 5x10, then I'll see about the 45 lbs. Fingers crossed.
    - Did the last two sets in between squat sets because I didn't want to lose the rack once it opened up.

Squats - 5x5 @ 140 lbs.
    - These were definitely heavy, but do-able. Will stay here on Friday, then move up 5 lbs. next week.
    - I mentioned that I definitely used some unfamiliar muscles in yoga on Sunday, and I've been feeling what I think is my right gluteus minimus ever since. It's that muscle on the side of your hip / *kitten*. I wouldn't say it's injured, but it's a little angry, maybe, and squats pissed it right off. Will be careful here.

Deadlifts -- Warmups: 1x5 @ 135, 1x3 @ 165, 1x5 @ 145
    - I never did get to my working sets (@ 180 lbs) on these. Again. This is my second failure, and it's happening at 165 lbs. Not sure what's going on, but I'm unhappy about it. Maybe I just don't have my strength back after being sick, maybe I've been too lax about my protein intake, maybe it's something else altogether.
    - After failing the 165, I deloaded to 145 and did an "extra" set, because I hate going out on a fail.
    - BUT, BUT, BUT... How do you go from pulling 1x3 @ 180 to failing at 165 lbs.? Grrrr. *Thoughts and comments welcome.*

Looks like everyone else is kicking *kitten* and taking names, as usual. Impressive and rad all around! Great job!

@Autumfilly -- Think about the deads as a PUSH exercise instead of a pull. Made all the difference for me.

@Llama -- See deadlifts section above. I was all about the "because eff you deads" tonight too! :)

@Tara -- I had a lot of trouble with my adductor for a while. Narrowing my stance helped a lot. I'm slowly widening again, just a little, but have been able to keep it out of the lift so far.

@Psych -- Those biceps!!! *Swoon*

@Loratliff -- Welcome! I'm sure you've read this elsewhere, but that weight will come on to the bar pretty darn quick. Enjoy the "easy" while it lasts. :)

xo,
    C.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I've been out of touch lately. I spent the weekend down in NOLA for a 12-hour endurance event (not Mardi Gras :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

So, I did workout B yesterday. It was miserable. I have been physically tired this week (thanks to the endurance event), and it definitely showed in my lifts.

Squats 5x5 at 170 pounds. These felt really hard and heavy. I'll definitely be hanging out here for another 1-2 lifting days (maybe a few more).
    OHP 5/5/3/5/5 at 95 pounds. I quit at 3 reps on the 3rd set because I just didn't feel like doing 2 more. It was really difficult, but they didn't feel right.
    Deadlift: 1x2 at 195 pounds. This felt stupid heavy. I probably should have deloaded with how tired I've been, but oh well. I'll get it next time I lift. (I've already lifted this weight at least once for a full set.)

I also rode the bike for 9 miles. I was going to do accessory lifts, but I had zero motivation to do so.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Squats: 5x5 @ 100lbs!!! YEA!!!!
    OHP: 5/5/5/3/4 @ 55lbs. I am definitely getting better, and the sets of 5 I did felt ok, but I definitely feel like I need to do more to lock in the form before I keep going.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 145lbs. Had a lady at the gym tell me I must be strong to lift that. I felt very tough. :)

Had to head home quickly from the gym because my wife had physical therapy this AM, so I did 3x10 pushups while hanging out with our son. He very cutely laid on the floor next to me. Then I showed him how to squat and he squatted super deep. Oh to be 19 months and have insane flexibility.
  • krokador
    @crabada You will probably shoot that idea down right off, but how about... dun dun dun... going BEFORE class? My gym is a free for all any later than 9am, but from 5-8am (yes, I've been there at 5 before. Doesn't happen often but it's the hour it opens during week days) it's typically only really dedicated people in there. Worthy consideration?

Also: welcome to all the previous lurkers! Looking forward to hear about all of your progress!

Re: OHP - I've never progressed as much on it as when I a) dropped bench press altogether for a while and/or b) worked on single arm shoulder work, and with kettlebells. I went in my last workout thinking I'd struggle with the weights, and I walked out feeling like I shortchanged myself. After a rep PR. So... If you're really looking to increase OHP, first step might be to replace BP with it for a while. Or a push press, perhaps, to get those muscle fibers activated. Or DB press. (And as your OHP imporves, your bench also will, without even trying!)

Active recovery day for me. I did the 3 rounds even though the plan said OPTIONAL in big bold, capital letters. I will walk at lunchbreak, and do more hip mobility and core work tonight. Got DB snatches and box jumps tomorrow... Gotta find my shin guards! lol
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Oh to be 19 months and have insane flexibility.

buttwink though . . . .