Do you switch MFP off on your birthday?

13»

Replies

• hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Go nuts! That what I did. Cake, ice cream, you name it. It was fabulous.

(But, limit it to your birthday, not the week of your birthday...)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    My birthday I log rough estimates, talk to my friends on here, and enjoy myself.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    A bonus note: It's really interesting to log a day where you give yourself permission to eat and drink whatever you want. I spent all of Thanksgiving weekend stuffing myself and boozing with my siblings, and was delighted when my weekly stats still showed me at a caloric deficit. Logging a "fun" day can really help you put maintenance and long-term healthy living in perspective. It's not a lifetime of deprivation! You can and will have fun party days and can work it out in your diet with just a few other days that week of extra exercise and salad-heavy eating. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My birthday is this Friday. I already have it logged and clocked at around 4000 calories, since I know exactly what will be served and how much I usually eat of it. I did every other day diet this week, but water fasted instead of having 500 calories on fast days. On feast days I had my calories at maintenance. So that's 3 days at 2000 calorie deficit which comes to 6000 total deficit for this week. On my birthday I would be eating 2000 over my maintenance which leaves me at about a pound of loss this week while still gobbling up all the goodies I want to gobble up.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    My birthday is this Friday. I already have it logged and clocked at around 4000 calories, since I know exactly what will be served and how much I usually eat of it. I did every other day diet this week, but water fasted instead of having 500 calories on fast days. On feast days I had my calories at maintenance. So that's 3 days at 2000 calorie deficit which comes to 6000 total deficit for this week. On my birthday I would be eating 2000 over my maintenance which leaves me at about a pound of loss this week while still gobbling up all the goodies I want to gobble up.

Wow - amazing planning and manipulation of CICA - love it! I still haven't figured out my maintenance calories or how to see the weekly deficit. Just learning the more advanced points of MFP really.

• Ooci
    If you are logging everything, then by comparing what you've logged to what you lose over time, you can figure out what your actual Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Here is the excel spreadsheet I use: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1122752/export-and-analyze-your-own-data-in-excel#latest

Thanks for that - so useful. I'll be sure to have a play!

• Ooci
    My birthday is tomorrow too! I'm definitely going to eat whatever I want and just log it. I tend not to want to eat too much junk anyway anymore but a bottle of wine will definitely be consumed ;)
    Happy Birthday fellow 12th Feb lady. Xx

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    I ate 4500 calories for my birthday last year. Was totally worth it. But I logged it all.

Not sure what I'll do this year yet...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I'm planning on logging for mine and any other special days. It doesn't mean I won't go over calories, but it will help me keep it at maintenance levels and still enjoy the special treats.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Ooci wrote: »

Wow - amazing planning and manipulation of CICA - love it! I still haven't figured out my maintenance calories or how to see the weekly deficit. Just learning the more advanced points of MFP really.

For weekly calories there is a MFP value which you can view on your phone, but I use my own excel sheet which I made specifically for this purpose because it's much clearer. Take a look at how it works maybe you could make your own. (Note: mine is in kilos, so some of the numbers may not make sense)

aloxx9xbswx0.png
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    In one day with alcohol I know that this would not really be a challenge that hard to do.

At 250 Calories per pint, even 20 pints of beer would leave you with 9,000 Calories to consume.

Put back 10 800 Calorie long island iced teas and assuming you're still standing, you'll still have 6,000 Calories to consume.

I think you'd be more concerned about liver failure than weight gain if you tried to offset a 14,000 Calorie challenge with alcohol!
  • Ooci
    Ooci wrote: »

For weekly calories there is a MFP value which you can view on your phone, but I use my own excel sheet which I made specifically for this purpose because it's much clearer. Take a look at how it works maybe you could make your own. (Note: mine is in kilos, so some of the numbers may not make sense)

aloxx9xbswx0.png

I really do think that's ingenious. Such an idea would never have occurred! However, how you cope on your water days is completely beyond me! I think my life is too physically strenuous to make it viable. But what a clever plan.
    I'll certainly be thinking more about recording and working from the bigger picture of a week though - thanks! I've found the weekly thing on the phone now!

• NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    My birthday isn't until April, but I don't plan to turn off MFP. Go over my calories and break my gluten free diet, possibly, but I will log and move on.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    edited February 2015
    I don't necessarily turn off MFP, but I do enjoy my birthday (and any other big holidays) & eat what I want. Last year, a friend took me to the coast for my birthday and we went to a really nice seafood restaurant on the beach. I can't remember what I got as an entree, but I do remember that we had calamari as an appetizer, beer with our meals, and some kind of dessert for free because of my birthday. On her way over to pick me up, she stopped for Starbucks and asked what I wanted. She knew how hard I had been working the first half of the year (my birthday is in May) and said something to the effect of "remember that it's your birthday and you can have whatever you want", so I got a breve latte and enjoyed the rest of my day without a care in the world. :]

ETA that if I hadn't had a friend take me out, I probably would have treated it as any other day. Chilled at home, ate my usual, logged it all, and maybe splurged on a single serve piece of cake or something from the grocery store. I guess it just depends on what you have planned (or not planned!)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    My bday was just 2 weeks ago. I didn't log anything and the world didn't come to an end :)