Thought I'd picked a healthy breakfast option ...

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    184 calories is bad? Or are you saying the amount of sugar per that small amount of calories is bad?

Guess I don't see the problem. I know eating a ton of sugar all the time is not good for you but there is no way is give it up completely. Plain yogurt is nasty. I can only eat sweetened yogurt.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Buy the plain Fage, and then put in your own fruit, jam, whatever
    . That's what I do. By the by, I also now buy 2%, and I like it alot more. B)

Both of which contain sugar...

TEH SUGARZ!

Yes I know---but you control the amount. I use 28g of raspberry jam----that's less sugar than 35%. Sometimes I put in half a banana---yes, that's sugar too, but it fits my macros just fine. B)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So while its not always best to eat packaged sweetened yogurt (better to add it yourself, probably have less sugar), its not really that big of a deal. That sugar is looking at natural and added sugar. This is why it should be separated out (into natural and added sugar). It is accounting for lactose, which is a sugar. In regular nonfat, unsweetened milk, in a cup there is 12 grams of sugar... It's really only bad if its added sugar

ahhh yes the evil added sugars....your body does not distinguish between added sugar and natural sugar it is all the same at the molecular level....

Really? My body has no clue when I eat fructose with or without fiber? And it has no clue about the differences between fructose, glucose, and lactose?

If you're right, I'm wasting my time. If you're incorrect, then I should know any differences, too, and food labels should differentiate for us.
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Fage - Total 0% Fat Greek Yogurt With Honey, 1 container (170g)
    - Wrong
    - 32g of SUGAR !!! 184 calories !!!

I was bummed to find out almost all yogurt is a dessert! Probably because we all bought into the advertising that it was "health food". grrrr.
    I've found a few plain organic brands I can add to my smoothies, but I do not eat a whole container or have it every day!
    Here is a funny article - 12 "health" foods with more sugar than a Krispy Kreme.
    Spoiler alert: Yogurt sucks
    http://www.takepart.com/photos/shocking-sugar-stats

Just grab some fruit or oatmeal!
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    what is wrong with that?

Man, you really love your sugar! I've never met a sugar advocate before. Although, I think I may have been one a few years ago just because it is yummy & addictive!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    I bought the 4% greek yogurt made from whole milk on accident once and refuse to go back down to nonfat now. I buy the plain yogurt and add my own honey and fruit to help control the sugar. Keep in mind, yogurt will always have sugar even if you buy the plain kind because milk has sugar. Not all the sugar is "added sugar" which is what most people are concerned with.
    High fat yogurt is so amazing. The highest I've found is 2% though. What brand is the 4%?
    I eat low carb so I typically will have half a small container of Fage 2% which works out to 4g of carbs from the natural sugar in the milk. I add in some berries or sweetener and it's amazing.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    what is wrong with that?

Man, you really love your sugar! I've never met a sugar advocate before. Although, I think I may have been one a few years ago just because it is yummy & addictive!

I love sugar too!!!!!!!!!!!! I eat what I can everyday, and stay within my macros--usually. Sugar, in whatever form is too good to cut out entirely---got to live, a little. B)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    - Wrong

I was bummed to find out almost all yogurt is a dessert! Probably because we all bought into the advertising that it was "health food". grrrr.
    I've found a few plain organic brands I can add to my smoothies, but I do not eat a whole container or have it every day!
    Here is a funny article - 12 "health" foods with more sugar than a Krispy Kreme.

Um, yogurt is healthy if you get it with live and active cultures.

It's milk and it has bacteria that is good for your gut flora. How is that not healthy? If you get plain yogurt the only sugar that is in it is from the lactose which again, there is nothing unhealthy about that.

There are yogurts out there that don't have live and active cultures which isn't beneficial to you. Then there are those that have aspartame and IMO taste pretty gross. After eating plain yogurt for years I can't eat it with added fruit and stuff. They put way too much in it. If I want it sweetened I'll add my own stuff to it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Jolinia wrote: »
    So while its not always best to eat packaged sweetened yogurt (better to add it yourself, probably have less sugar), its not really that big of a deal. That sugar is looking at natural and added sugar. This is why it should be separated out (into natural and added sugar). It is accounting for lactose, which is a sugar. In regular nonfat, unsweetened milk, in a cup there is 12 grams of sugar... It's really only bad if its added sugar

ahhh yes the evil added sugars....your body does not distinguish between added sugar and natural sugar it is all the same at the molecular level....

Really? My body has no clue when I eat fructose with or without fiber? And it has no clue about the differences between fructose, glucose, and lactose?

If you're right, I'm wasting my time. If you're incorrect, then I should know any differences, too, and food labels should differentiate for us.

I know you're being sarcastic but I just wanted to say, if people's bodies can't tell what kind of sugar it is, how come some people are lactose intolerant but not fructose intolerant?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Don't beat yourself up about it. If you are ok to eat sugar (no health reason not to) and it fits in your calories, its fine. You still got a good dose of calcium and protein, so I still call it healthy. Personally one little yogurt wouldn't keep me full too long but if it did the job for you, it did its job. If you want a lower sugar option maybe try the 100 calorie Greek yogurts that are out there right now.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    - Wrong

This. Regardless if it fits into your calories, I've always learned the more you cut out processed sugar, the better. Natural sugars from fruits and veggies being different than processed sugars.

If there's no difference, than wtf is all this nutritional information discussing the horrible affects of processed sugars all about?

I've also read alot about how harmful and unhealthy these bs snacks that are marketed as "healthy" are. It's all marketing so everyone can have their hand in the "healthy" trend cookie jar. I can't honestly believe that companies that make cookies, soda and prepackaged frozen meals are going to legit leave harmful processed sugar out of their "healthy" options.

If it was a health issue, like diabetes, yes you'd have to stay away from all sugar, including some fruits high in fructose, so yes, technically if you don't HAVE to stay away from sugars, why worry? But if your trying to change your diet and become, why NOT stay away from sugary foods?

I totally agree with you OP, it's shocking when you look at something so small in calories and see how much sugar is added.

Given you can't get away from sugar, it's everywhere. I personally switched to plain 2% Greek yogurt after realizing how much crap was added to sweetened yogurt. I add 1 TBSP of organic natural nut butter to it, it sweetness it up and gives it an awesome texture. Extra protein too. Add whatever fruit you want...or cinnamon. You won't miss the sugary Crap.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Table_grapes_on_white.jpg

1 serving (126g) Is 88 calories and.... *GASP* 20g of sugar!

My point is... you shouldn't demonize the food you just ate. I mean come on, you had yogurt WITH HONEY are you really suprised by the "sugar content" when you were adding straight honey to the yogurt?

I know fage has plain 0% or plain 2% yogurt that are by themselves without the little flavoring cup on the side. Maybe try those next time if you absolutely cannot have sugar due to some health reason.

oh wow 126 grams of grapes is one serving? had no idea, been eating 150 grams of grapes recently cause that seemed like a round number, and well ,grapes YUM.

0% yogurt is gross and I'd never eat it if trying to cut calories to the minimum because I need my potential fat sources to actually have fat in them if I am keeping calories as short as I possibly can.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »

I know you're being sarcastic but I just wanted to say, if people's bodies can't tell what kind of sugar it is, how come some people are lactose intolerant but not fructose intolerant?

There are people who are fructose intolerant.

Fructose malabsorption, formerly named "dietary fructose intolerance" (DFI), is a digestive disorder[1] in which absorption of fructose is impaired by deficient fructose carriers in the small intestine's enterocytes. This results in an increased concentration of fructose in the entire intestine.

Occurrence in patients identified to be suffering symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome is not higher than occurrence in the normal population. However, due to the similarity in symptoms, patients with fructose malabsorption often fit the profile of those with irritable bowel syndrome.[2] A small proportion of patients with both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance also suffer from celiac disease.

Fructose malabsorption is not to be confused with hereditary fructose intolerance, a potentially fatal condition in which the liver enzymes that break up fructose are deficient.

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    - Wrong

I wasn't aware a red velvet cupcake or sweet tea were "health" foods? What's the serving size of the juice, tea, dressing, pasta sauce, etc. that has more sugar than all those donuts? That specific yogurt shown is known for having a ton of added sugar, while many of the Greek yogurt options have much lower sugar content. Regardless, if it fits in your calories as part of a nutritionally balanced diet, why is it a bad thing?? Dosage is what matters.

Things loaded with sugar are often high-calorie. Overconsumption of calories leads to weight gain. Things loaded with sugar may not be very satiating, so a person might consume more food because they're still hungry, once again leading to overconsumption of calories. Sugar is not causing the problem, eating too much is. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar, there is not a problem with working sugar into a nutritionally balanced, satiating diet that fits your calorie goals.
  • kcmccormack
    Maybe I just don't see the purpose in defending foods high in gs of sugar just cause it fits your calorie allocation. What's the point in getting "healthier" if you're not getting healthier?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Maybe I just don't see the purpose in defending foods high in gs of sugar just cause it fits your calorie allocation. What's the point in getting "healthier" if you're not getting healthier?

Because you can still have a healthy diet overall that incorporates sugar. Demonizing a particular food group just leads to problems. People cut it out entirely when eating it in moderation would make them happy and let them enjoy life more. People guilt-trip themselves the way the OP is doing because they ate something "bad." Sugar is not bad. Eating nothing but sugar and ignoring all the other nutrients you need would be bad, but having yogurt that's a little on the sugary side shouldn't be something anyone feels guilty over. THAT'S not healthy.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    So you bought the one with honey in it and are surprised there is sugar?

this

Agreed. Op, there is a plain verision that has about only 9 carbs. No honey or sweetener in it tho.
  • kcmccormack
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all

Because you can still have a healthy diet overall that incorporates sugar. Demonizing a particular food group just leads to problems. People cut it out entirely when eating it in moderation would make them happy and let them enjoy life more. People guilt-trip themselves the way the OP is doing because they ate something "bad." Sugar is not bad. Eating nothing but sugar and ignoring all the other nutrients you need would be bad, but having yogurt that's a little on the sugary side shouldn't be something anyone feels guilty over. THAT'S not healthy.

I'm not saying tear yourself a new one out of guilt, but I'm saying I agree with her that it's not healthy and sugar IS bad for you. Fact. There's so much retarded claims on MFP from ppl who don't know anything about nutrition that say "eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories" or "who cares if you're in a deficit". Seriously? It's not just about losing weight, it's about NUTRITION and feeding your body the right thing.

I never said cut it out 100% or to guilt trip the #&$@ out of yourself, but ppl ridicule posters on MFP for being vigilant about the ingredients in what they chose to eat as if it doesn't matter as long as your calories are straight. It's absurd to me.
  • kcmccormack
    Don't get me wrong, I don't cut it out entirely either. I male healthier versions of cookies or switched to 70% chocolate to satisfy my sugar cravings. We're all human, we can't punish ourselves for living in moderation. All I'm saying is that yes, there's alot of crappy added refined sugars in alot of bs"heAlthy" foods, so I agree with OP for being shocked when she actually looks at labels. Companies suck.
  • kcmccormack
    You can make alot of your own "healthier" versions of granola bars or cookies by using fruit purees or vegetable purees in your baking and staying away from honeys, agave or other sweeteners instead of placing your faith in whatever snack some huge corporation MARKETED as "healthy" that's packed with garbage like high fructose corn syrup, refined sugars or whatever else they put in there. You can satisfy your sweet tooth without buying stuff that's sweetened to the nth degree for you.