How tall is "tall"

Options
estatitra
estatitra Posts: 80 Member
Hello, I am 5' 8" and I am wondering if I am considered "tall". More often I feel that i am stuck somewhere between regular size and "tall". What height do you think is considered "tall" for women?

Replies

• Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Average people will think you're tall, people your height will think you're normal, and people taller than you may regard you as average height. :P
  • meghanvs
    meghanvs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My mom is 5'8 and I've never considered her tall. But, considering I'm 6'0, I'm not the best person to ask!
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd say all over 5'8 could be considered tall. I just googled average height in different countries and just can't believe the numbers, they are so low!! :astonished:

For those who are interested, here is the link: http://www.averageheight.co/average-female-height-by-country
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What is considered "tall" also depends on the average where you are living. Women in Scandinavia are more likely to be within a few inches of my height (6') while women in America average about 5'4", so it's really all relative.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I think its totally based on personal perceptions, but IMO as a general rule, if 'regular' pants lengths fit you, then you're average or at the top end of average.

I wear petite pants (28" inseam) and that does not prevent me from being 5'10" tall. :)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I think its totally based on personal perceptions, but IMO as a general rule, if 'regular' pants lengths fit you, then you're average or at the top end of average.

I wear petite pants (28" inseam) and that does not prevent me from being 5'10" tall. :)

O_o *sigh* and here I am being 6'1 and needing 36" inch at a bare minimum....
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    LoL and I am 5'10" and need 36" minimum...otherwise I look like Im all ready for the great flood. I met one lady shorter than me with my inseam, and when I was 18, I used to snag Levis from a guy who was 6'6 cause we had the same inseam!

Anyway...yeah, to me anyone who can wear heels and only come up to my height isnt that tall, but its true, its all relative. I live in Miami where the average woman is around 5'1 and men around 5'5..so a woman who is taller than 5'5 is already tall... I look like a giant around here.

But when I travel up north, Im in love...women my height (even if in heels) men taller than me...I feel almost..normal! LoL!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you have to buy clothing in "tall" sizes, you are tall. That is generally 5'9 to 5'10 for women.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I would say 5'8 and up.
  • Natataliee
    Natataliee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say tall has much to do with sizes of clothes. It's how you feel relative to the people around you. Do you see over most people's heads? Yes? You're tall.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    If you have to buy clothing in "tall" sizes, you are tall. That is generally 5'9 to 5'10 for women.

I wear tall tops!

Whew, I am still in. :)
  • thewritingviolinst1
    thewritingviolinst1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I am 6'2. Clothes shopping is impossible!
  • macielsuazo
    macielsuazo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm 5'10... buying pants gives me headaches.
  • futuremathematician
    futuremathematician Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depends where you are from. I'm 5'10" and there were around a half a dozen girls in my high school graduating class around my height (but I graduated with 600+ kids lol) I know girls who are well over 6' from where I live! So I never really feel that tall.... But you drive a few cities over and I'm a giant... I'd say 5'8" is tall, definitely taller than average :)
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I generally think of 5'8" as tall. The pants example made me giggle. I'm 5'11" and in flats normal pants are *just* long enough for me. My height is all torso:)
  • igitgrl321
    igitgrl321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2"....does that qualify me?
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and I view 5'8" as on the higher end of normal. The problem is that clothing manufacturers consider you tall and that's why I cant find any clothes!! lol
  • rialucia82
    rialucia82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Proportion of your body influences what clothing manufacturers consider petite/medium/tall too. I'm also 5'10" and always need the Tall cut of pants because I have long legs and a high waist.