Fitness Challenge Maybe?

I've been working at this a while and I have done so much research and tried so many different programs, Insanity, IIFYM, Intermittent Fasting, you name it! Now I'm on the 21 day fix. I've also started listening to pod casts and doing a lot of independent web research on how we age, hormones, etc. What is so frustrating is that one day you listen to a pod cast and it says how you need to do this, this and this and it makes sense. Then the next day you listen to one and it says the complete opposite and it makes sense!

So I have came to the conclusion that I am going to take all my knowledge and do a little experiment and see if I can make some head way on not just losing weight, but losing fat and looking smaller and more tight, and of course feeling healthier.

One of the things I notice is that when I eat - after I feel yuck and bloated and my heart rate seems to go up. Some research I've done may indicate that I am having an intolerance reaction to what I'm eating. I have never gone gluten free and jumped on that wagon. Also I'm constantly fighting being tired and congested. So maybe it is a food intolerance. So maybe its worth a try to at least eliminate certain things and then bring them back in slowly and see what happens.

I'd like to eat healthy, as organic and natural as I can. Staying on the higher protein and lower carb side. I thought it might be fund to have a small group to do this with. Maybe we could create a FB Secret group to keep in touch daily, do some fitness goals, keep track of our eating habits and etc.

Would any of you be interested in doing this?

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    And just to clarify - I am not a coach of any kind. So many times when I first started getting actively involved in MFP I would join a group or a challenge and it would turn out to be nothing but a BB Coach trying to promote their business. It was so disappointing. I am just truly looking for some friends to help for accountability and motivation. I am actually looking a plan called the Metabolic Effect Diet which seems to have a lot of good information for us women who are not in our 20's or 30's and experiencing different reactions to what we put in our bodies. I'm looking to do an overall healthy way of eating and incorporate good old cardio and weight training. If you want to do BB dvd's then great - I love a lot of their workouts. But I mainly enjoy outside walking/jogging/interval running and hitting the gym and doing a good 20 min. of heavy lifting.
  • suzyh04
    suzyh04 Posts: 16 Member
    Hello! I know what you are going through. I work out at the gym 4 to 5 times a week. I do 45 mins to 1 hr of cardio and 20 minutes of weights. I know that my body is changing, but it's real slow. I'm 52 and I'm very dedicated to getting healthy and getting in shape.
    I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, fish, chicken. I have stopped eating all bread and eat very little carbs. I just hate tracking calories.
    I would be interested in being in your group. I do want to review the book that you mentioned Metabolic Effect Diet.
    I know that my body will never look like a 20, 30 year old again.. lol
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I don't technically eat low carb tho.... I eat more like "medium carb." I home make whole wheat bread and have a roll of it each day. Half a potato here, half a cup of rice there. I'm more like a "minimal factory processing" eater. Fresh fruits/veg, looking for meats that haven't had salt solutions added to artificially inflate the weight, raised without hormones, things like that. I use herbs and spices and olive oil to punch up the flavor in foods. Big on DIY baking as sort of a hobby.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    ... and I work out thusly: half an hour on the elliptical, about 20 minutes of lifting and planks and such, then half an hour on the stationary bike. Then stretches and go home. I do this every other day. I need my inbetween rest days as I'm arthritic.
  • jchrisman717
    Hi! I'm glad to have some responses. Here is the link to the information that I thought was interesting about menopause and the effect on our bodies.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/

I too cannot cut all carbs, and frankly I don't really think its healthy or a have to - but that I do tend to crave those starchy, processed carby foods once I start eating them. So check out this link - I this part is very interesting - the 4S Model:

I developed a simple formula to help you with the changes. I call it the 4S model:
    4S Nutrition
    S= Shake= Start the day with a protein shake
    S= Salad= Always have a huge salad with protein on top
    S= Snack= Include one protein and veggie based snack a day (i.e. celery, cucumbers and salmon)
    S= Starch= Include a healthy portion of starch at one meal only. Best after a workout, or at night (since it helps with sleep and many menopausal women have difficulty sleeping)
    4S Exercise
    S= Stress reducing. This means focusing on rest & recovery exercises. At least 3 per week, but more is better (slow walking, massage, meditation, yoga, tai chi, physical affection, etc.)
    S= Strides. Slow walking. 10,000steps (about 2 hours) on all or most days. Notice this shows up twice? It is critical!!
    S= Strength. Weight training over cardio to keep the body tight. 2 times per week.
    S= Sprints. Intense activity that gets the body breathless and burning. Like interval training, metabolic workouts, and short intense runs. 1-2 times per week

Let me know your thoughts. I think it would be great to use this formula and our own knowledge and lifestyles to come up with a plan that works for us.

• SueFosh
    SueFosh Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, my name is Sue, I'm 60 and just started MFP. I had tremendous success with WW in 2003 (lost 45 lbs) but over the years, I have put 35 back on. I attribute most of the weight loss to a group of ladies whom I met on one of WW's on-line message boards. I still consider a few of them friends, even tho I only met one of them when she was in my city on business. Anyway, I've been trolling these message boards looking for those with the most recent activity, and think that I have found some kindred souls to go on this journey with me. jchrisman717, I found the link very interesting and I think that with all of us ladies putting our heads together, we can sift through the conflicting information out there and come up with a plan that will give us results. I know that tracking food and exercise is what I need for the present, but I'm all about coming up with a new, healthy lifestyle that I can live with forever. Hope we can get this up and running.
  • suzyh04
    Hi everyone! I like the plan that tjchrisman717 has found. I do have one question about the protein shake. Did you see a recipe on what should be in it. I have always made my own and I know that there are a lot of different protein powder out there as well. I'm glad to see a few more ladies are interested. I'm ready to get started too.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    I have been doing a little reading from the link you provided...I am liking what I read so far.
    I would be interested in being in the group...let's do this!! :smiley:
  • jchrisman717
    Great! I am currently dealing with an unexpected family member who passed away so it may be next week before I can get the facebook page up and going and get really in to the swing of getting a plan to put on there. But I would so love to have some people who are looking for the same answers I am and a smaller group to motivate and support each other.

As far as the protein shake information. Let me see if can do some more research on it from their website. But I would think that it would be important to use a good quality protein powder that give you the protein you need, but not all the extra additives. Such as Jay Robb Whey or Egg White - its rated very high (its what I use currently), though I am thinking of switching to Raw which is a vegetable based protein - its rated high too.

Here's a link that someone posted on one of my FB groups which I found very interesting and helpful. As far as what you put in them - well that is up to you. Some days I do nothing but just the protein powder and ice - usually that's my second one for the day if I'm still trying to hit my protein goals. Breakfast I use all different ingredients, PB, banana fiber, chia seeds, flax seeds; frozen fruit, spinach and fiber (that's my go to for mornings).

I think it would be important to still track our food - mostly macros which is the amount of protein, carbs, fat and fiber.
  • suzyh04
    jchrisman717, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I have been using Sun Warrior Brand Blend Raw Vegan Protein Powder with complete Amino Acid Profile. Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free & Hypoallergenic. This blend is a green product and is suitable for any lifestyle. It's free of solvents, GMOs, radiation, artificial colors and preservatives. It taste pretty good with almond milk too. I am tracking my shakes as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi! I'm glad to have some responses. Here is the link to the information that I thought was interesting about menopause and the effect on our bodies.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/

I too cannot cut all carbs, and frankly I don't really think its healthy or a have to - but that I do tend to crave those starchy, processed carby foods once I start eating them. So check out this link - I this part is very interesting - the 4S Model:

I developed a simple formula to help you with the changes. I call it the 4S model:
    4S Nutrition
    S= Shake= Start the day with a protein shake
    S= Salad= Always have a huge salad with protein on top
    S= Snack= Include one protein and veggie based snack a day (i.e. celery, cucumbers and salmon)
    S= Starch= Include a healthy portion of starch at one meal only. Best after a workout, or at night (since it helps with sleep and many menopausal women have difficulty sleeping)
    4S Exercise
    S= Stress reducing. This means focusing on rest & recovery exercises. At least 3 per week, but more is better (slow walking, massage, meditation, yoga, tai chi, physical affection, etc.)
    S= Strides. Slow walking. 10,000steps (about 2 hours) on all or most days. Notice this shows up twice? It is critical!!
    S= Strength. Weight training over cardio to keep the body tight. 2 times per week.
    S= Sprints. Intense activity that gets the body breathless and burning. Like interval training, metabolic workouts, and short intense runs. 1-2 times per week

Let me know your thoughts. I think it would be great to use this formula and our own knowledge and lifestyles to come up with a plan that works for us.

Hi. I like how this sounds. I eat low glycemic load/SLOWcarb/south beach/mediterranean style, so this really appeals to me.
    I don't have a "protein shake" per se. But I do have a green smoothie with hemp seeds and soy milk. My smoothie today has 22 grams of protein.
    I'll have to try the "starch for sleep". Interesting idea!

I love the metabolic effect youtube videos and have them all bookmarked.

In addition to the above, I try to have flaxseeds every day (in my smoothie) and legumes every day, preferably lentils or soybeans (so there's the starch!)

I do Pilates and lift weights.
    I have a fitbit and walk 10,000 steps.

I'm IN!

ETA: If anyone "buys" the $97.00 program, I'd be curious to see what you think!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss jchrisman717.

I have watched a couple of the video's on you-tube...very interesting!
    I am going to stop at the library see if they have The Metabolic Effect book if not I am pondering about buying the book (not certain if will buy book or E-book for kindle)

I have heard from a lot of people that the Sun Warrior protein powders work well.
    Here's a dumb question.....does protein powder go bad?

Thoughts of a healthy portion of Starch??
  • jchrisman717
    Thank you all. Because of my circumstances I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like on the links I posted. So I'm glad you all found them helpful! I also want to get the book and I'll have to go back and look at that program for 97.00.

It looks like healthy starches are these:

Starchy vegetables, such as corn, potatoes, squash, peas and yams, offer a variety of healthy benefits. Acorn squash, butternut squash, winter squash, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, corn and green peas are all rich in potassium, a mineral that helps preserve bone health and reduce blood pressure. Butternut squash is rich in beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin, antioxidants that help maintain skin, hair and eye health. Starchy vegetables are easy to incorporate into your diet. They make excellent side dishes to complement a variety of healthy meals. For example, mashed sweet potatoes or steamed corn may go with grilled chicken and salad.

Beans are one of the healthiest starch options, according to Dr. Jampolis. This starch contains lots of fiber, protein and antioxidants. Beans are extremely versatile and can be used as a side dish or main meal. Vegetarian chili is one great way to use a few different types of beans in a delicious dish. Experiment with different types of beans to find the ones you like, such as kidney beans, navy beans and pinto beans.

Whole grains, such as whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal and barley are excellent sources of insoluble fiber. This type of fiber is most important for people who suffer from constipation, because it creates bulk in your colon to help keep your bowel movements regular. It is easy to add whole grains into your diet. Simply opt for whole wheat and whole grain versions of the bread and pasta you already eat.

I guess protein powder could go bad - I would go by the smell - I think it would have rancid smell if it did. Mine never lasts long enough to go bad!
  • jchrisman717
    Ok I looked at the link to purchase the program. I hadn't even seen it as I was just gathering information. I don't think I will purchase it - at least not to start with. I think I can piece together some good information from their blogs. Here's one I thought was interesting too.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/perimenopause-menopause-belly-hormonal-change-3-tips-to-beat-it/
  • SueFosh
    jchrisman717, I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to give us the link to the program and some examples of healthy starches and protein powders. I live in the Midwest and as it's dropping into the teens tomorrow, I've got everything set to make beef barley and bean/vegi soups. I also bought loads of ingredients for my morning smoothies.
    Since I have just started MFP, I know that I need to be tracking my food, but I'm going to take smilebhappy's suggestion and look for the Metabolic Effect book at the library.
    I look forward to working with you all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    SueFosh wrote: »
    jchrisman717, I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to give us the link to the program and some examples of healthy starches and protein powders. I live in the Midwest and as it's dropping into the teens tomorrow, I've got everything set to make beef barley and bean/vegi soups. I also bought loads of ingredients for my morning smoothies.
    Since I have just started MFP, I know that I need to be tracking my food, but I'm going to take smilebhappy's suggestion and look for the Metabolic Effect book at the library.

I'm going to go with popcorn for my "starch".
    Fwiw hemp seeds are a tasty protein!
  • SueFosh
    Thanks for the hemp seeds information. It seems that I am having trouble getting enough protein but definitely doing ok in the sugar and carb department. lol
  • dmt366
    dmt366 Posts: 22 Member
    @SueFosh - if your local library doesn't have a copy you can request they purchase one. My mom's a library manager and most library's do accept patron request for new purchases. I'm going to check our local library and see if they have or will purchase a copy. I'm interested in doing this fitness challenge with others her in this thread - good luck to all!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Thanks for the hemp seeds information. It seems that I am having trouble getting enough protein but definitely doing ok in the sugar and carb department. lol

Hemp seeds are delish! I could eat them by the spoonful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I'm going to go with popcorn for my "starch".
    Fwiw hemp seeds are a tasty protein!
    I made the black bean brownies last night and think they too could be my evening starch. If anyone needs the recipe let me know. Yum!