Green Smoothies

13»

Replies

• lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    I believe my blender is a $40 Oster. It works great.

My morning smoothie recipe makes two smoothies. At first it's purple but when I have the rest at lunch it's definitely green.

1 cup frozen triple berry medley
    1 medium banana
    2 scoops whey protein
    1 tblsp coconut oil
    3/4 cup almond milk
    3/4 cup water
    1 golden delicious apple
    1/2 avocado
    1 handful spinach
    1 handful kale

This makes 2 servings (about 16 oz each) I come up with 381 calories per serving. You can view my food diary to see how it breaks down. The apple really helps sweeten it without adding stevia.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    mlbazemore wrote: »
    I make one most mornings, this makes two smoothies (my wife LOVES them so it works out well, we split a pitcher):

2 small apples
    2 cups spinach
    1-2 cups water (depends on how thick or watery you want your smoothie, we usually do just about 1 cup)
    2 carrots OR 2 celery sticks (Depends on what we have around)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

This sounds delicious... Does it taste like apple pie, or is that just wishful thinking:-)

More like applesauce-esque. Ever have one of those little kid packaged applesauce packets with cinnamon? Like a less sugary version of that.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    ]I love my nutribullet!!

I have one and I like it too. It just never gets the leafy greens as smooth as I like. Do you find that as well or am I just not blending long enough?

It does a great job with frozen veggies. Haven't tried nuts in it yet but will soon...

Make sure you add enough water and blend well. I add nuts to my smoothie, they blend well. Just a few walnuts or cashew

Awesome! TY!

• J72FIT
    oncem0re wrote: »
    We have the Vitamix and it's the BEST investment I have ever purchased for our health! especially if you are going to be using it daily and for green smoothie, we had the walmart brand, nutribullet and ninja and NOTHING compare to Vitamix.

I agree... Bought mine for $499 13 years ago. So right now it has cost me $38.46 per year to date...

• kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    I love my kitchenaid blender (one of the best wedding gifts), and as long as you blend everything long enough (a minute or two), it obliterates everything.
  • huanu
    huanu Posts: 35 Member
    We just purchased a blender for making smoothies. I have many small kitchen appliances so all I needed was the blend feature. I really didn't want to spend a fortune so after a lot of thought, we purchased a black and decker for 59 dollars. It totally sucked and we could smell the motor burning while making our first smoothie! So it went back. I wanted a Vitamix or a Blendtec but couldn't justify spending so much on a blender. So in the end we purchased the Ninja professional with the two additional single serving cups.
    I really love it so far. It was 98 dollars and it makes good smoothies with no issues so far.

If I could justify it, vitamix would be #1 then Blendtec and then the Ninja Pro.
    Now that I know how much we love smoothies, if the Ninja dies we will spring for the best blender next time :)
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    I have a vitamix and its awesome! The ninja is pretty good i guess but i like making soups in my vitamix and you can boil stuff in the ninja. I usually just do spinach, maybe a celery stick to mix it up just to keep it low cal but just an apple with spinach is an easy tasty one.
  • Lezavargas
    Wow, theres even hatrs when it comes to blenders, lol
  • Lezavargas
    You wont regret spending the money on a vitamix. I was skeptical until i tried it and it made a believer outta me. Theres alot on the market thatll work if you just want to do fruits and veggies, but if you want to make soups or homemade peanut butter its worth paying for the extra power.

• NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    I paid $20 for my blender and it works just fine.. going on 2 years. Recipes for green smoothies, I have none... I can't stomach them.
  • J72FIT
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    You wont regret spending the money on a vitamix. I was skeptical until i tried it and it made a believer outta me. Theres alot on the market thatll work if you just want to do fruits and veggies, but if you want to make soups or homemade peanut butter its worth paying for the extra power.

Yep...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    mlbazemore wrote: »
    My husband and I want to start drinking green smoothies, myself especially. I wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations on blenders and tasty green smoothie recipes. I want a vitamix but is it really necessary to spend $500 on a blender. I love the warranty and I do plan on using it everyday if I can find smoothie recipes I like.

You can get a refurbished vitamix for around $250. They still have a five year warranty. I got mine right before Christmas for $241 shipped (it's the 5200 model) and you would never be able to tell it was a refurb.

https://www.vitamix.com/shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard.aspx

Google around, and you'll find a 20-25% discount code, usually free shipping too.

I have used mine almost every day since I got it. I've never been a smoothie person but I never had a vitamix before :) They are so smooth and clean-up is ridiculously easy compared to a regular blender with all its parts.

Bonus, you'll also make the creamiest nut butters you've had. Cleaning the machine afterward takes longer than it takes to turn roasted nuts into magic.

Vitamix tomato soup is now my go-to easy meal. Throw in canned or frozen tomatoes, a carrot, some sauteed shallot and garlic, and salt - run on high for 5 minutes. Turn off, add some half and half and basil, run another minute, and voila - hot steaming soap straight out of your blender.

Though I know people love their ninjas and nutribullets, those have a one year warranty. Vitamix stands by even its refurbished machines for 5 years, and I know many who've been using theirs for a decade. I'd rather pay a little more and get something that lasts.

• mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    fevrale wrote: »
    dave4d wrote: »
    fevrale wrote: »
    You can use any blender for green smoothies. You should just blend the greens in liquid (water, whatever you're using) first before adding the fruit and other ingredients to avoid the green leafy chunks. Simple Green Smoothies has a lot of recipes.

I used to drink green smoothies before I began calorie counting...they're typically around 250-500 calories. But the calories can really creep up. I loved the idea of Simple Green Smoothie's Skinny Mint Smoothie (meant to be like a Shamrock shake) but the recipe adds up to over 700 calories.

If they're a meal replacement (like breakfast), you're not counting calories, or have a higher calorie threshold, they're probably worth it. They just weren't worth it to me when I am trying to net 1200.

Wow! What's the ingredients in that one? My shakes only come out to between 300 and 400 calories, and that is when I use 2 scoops of protein powder.

I use about 2 cups of Spinach
    1 cup of unsweetened Almond milk
    1/2 to 1 frozen banana
    1 to 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    2 T Splenda
    Around 1/4 t peppermint extract
    And a few ice cubes
    (If I want the extra calories I will also add about a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips, but it has to be really thick or they just sink to the bottom.)

http://simplegreensmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/skinny-mint-green-smoothie

It's not an everyday type smoothie for sure but, still, the calories can really add up sometimes. It looks really good though. I liked adding mint to regular green smoothies for the refreshing and cooling feeling.

Thanks for the site recommendation
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Vitamix tomato soup is now my go-to easy meal. Throw in canned or frozen tomatoes, a carrot, some sauteed shallot and garlic, and salt - run on high for 5 minutes. Turn off, add some half and half and basil, run another minute, and voila - hot steaming soap straight out of your blender.
    Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely try that recipe, yum!

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    I have a vitamix. I stuff it full with spinach and squeeze in a cup of mixed frozen fruit, dates, protein powder and coconut oil; blend it and sprinkle in some chia seeds for texture. Makes about 5 glasses. I drink one and freeze the others for later.

It's definitely more expensive but saves time.
  • FreakinFlabuless
    FreakinFlabuless Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2015
    I bought a NutriBullet when I started having kids. It was great for making homemade baby food. I use it for smoothies on occasion too. I'm on my 2nd one. The threads give way eventually so the blades won't spin, and if the seal gets loose, it leaks while blending, but I like it just fine.

However, once I started making bigger batches of smoothies for the whole family, I noticed it wasn't all that convenient depending upon what I was making and was forced once back to my Oster blender....I use my Oster now every day again for my green smoothies because I found the bullet blender kind of whips the contents incorporating a lot of air and therefore changing the texture--think whipped yogurts. That's good for pudding-like pureed baby food, but it turns out I don't prefer that for my smoothies.

As for frozen ingredients, like those I freeze myself to use in my smoothies, I prefer my Oster. Firstly, because I freeze apples, avocado, banana, spinach, and flax meal all together in FoodSaver bags, which won't fit into the bullet glass and fit fine into my large blender, and secondly because I found those frozen ingredients blend better in my large Oster leaving no chunks behind like it was doing in the bullet. Depending on how full the bullet got, with the way it thickened up the contents as it blended, it just wouldn't pull some of those frozen chunks down and would leave some behind.

Those aren't the only ingredients in my green smoothie. I just add the almond milk and honey, and sometimes pomegranate juice fresh. It produces a nice frozen-type smoothie that doesn't give you a brain freeze. ;)